PDA

View Full Version : George Foreman Posts Defiant Message On Fourth Of July

jimnyc
07-06-2021, 04:41 PM
Yes, I purposely left out a word in the title to lead you in. :)

George felt pressure from others. George ignored them and kept his own beliefs and message.

OT - Foreman is hilarious! And very religious. And not only was he one of the best, he was the best at a time. And then he came back after retirement to become champ of the world again at 45, beating out a 26yr old for the title. Then left boxing and made 50x the amount with his grill. :laugh:

---

George Foreman Posts Defiant Patriotic Message On Fourth Of July

Boxing legend George Foreman said Sunday that he’s been pressured to stop publicly saying that he loves the United States, but will continue to do so, anyway.

“For about 54 years, people have ask me not to keep saying ‘I love America,'” Foreman posted to Twitter on Independence Day.

“Well I do and I’m not ashamed,” he wrote. “Don’t leave it; Love it.”

“Happy 4th of July,” Foreman closed the succinct post.

The former boxer used the message to caption a photo of himself with his eyes and holding the American flag after taking gold for our nation at the 1968 Olympic Games.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/george-foreman-posts-defiant-patriotic-message-on-fourth-of-july

Gunny
07-06-2021, 06:27 PM
Yes, I purposely left out a word in the title to lead you in. :)

George felt pressure from others. George ignored them and kept his own beliefs and message.

OT - Foreman is hilarious! And very religious. And not only was he one of the best, he was the best at a time. And then he came back after retirement to become champ of the world again at 45, beating out a 26yr old for the title. Then left boxing and made 50x the amount with his grill. :laugh:

---

George Foreman Posts Defiant Patriotic Message On Fourth Of July

Boxing legend George Foreman said Sunday that he’s been pressured to stop publicly saying that he loves the United States, but will continue to do so, anyway.

“For about 54 years, people have ask me not to keep saying ‘I love America,'” Foreman posted to Twitter on Independence Day.

“Well I do and I’m not ashamed,” he wrote. “Don’t leave it; Love it.”

“Happy 4th of July,” Foreman closed the succinct post.

The former boxer used the message to caption a photo of himself with his eyes and holding the American flag after taking gold for our nation at the 1968 Olympic Games.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/george-foreman-posts-defiant-patriotic-message-on-fourth-of-julyFor those old enough to remember, George Foreman was the the prototypical, America/White Man-hating, defiant, attitudinal "negro" of the 70s. It took George Foreman and his attituded to turn the reviled, draft-dodging, cowardly, hated Muhammed Ali from heel to babyface.

Ironic. Ali won Gold at the Olympics in Rome, 1960 and Foreman won Gold at the Olympics in 68. Both were hated before they became beloved icons.

Mika-El
07-07-2021, 07:54 AM
For those old enough to remember, George Foreman was the the prototypical, America/White Man-hating, defiant, attitudinal "negro" of the 70s. It took George Foreman and his attituded to turn the reviled, draft-dodging, cowardly, hated Muhammed Ali from heel to babyface.

Ironic. Ali won Gold at the Olympics in Rome, 1960 and Foreman won Gold at the Olympics in 68. Both were hated before they became beloved icons.

I absoluteky agree he was crucial in the turning of Ali from hated to admired.I would put Foreman in that category with Jim Brown from the Cleveland Browns. I think people got they would not put up with crap about being black but they themselves hated everyone equally. I also think Ali's just out and out reverse racist beliefs from his memberdship in Elijah Muhammed's movement of Black Muslims wore off like it did Malcolm X before Malcolm X was murdered. Reverse hatred won't work on you if you genuinely are a good person inside. Your good always prevails. Call me naive but I believe that.

All I know is the most effective leaders transcend all kinds of hatred. They rise above it. They don't immitate it in reverse.

While we are on the subject of American patriotism...we Canadians are very low key about displaying patriotism. We tend to be obsessed with including everyone in our ceremonies and we are right now so focused on avoiding defining what a Canadian is. We are in a head space where we include anything and everything to avoid sounding bigoted. While we do that we have this kind of strange reaction to our history as to how we dealt with native Canadians. We like to look at the states and say you guys were much worse and we were decent and fair but we have our issues including murdering God knows how many native children in forced schooling and separation from their parents including experimenting on them for science.

However we of course were founded the exact opposite reason of the US, we loved the King and paying taxes. So we are by collective origin a nation that was the anti-thesis of rebellion and our military history is mostly based as being part of a greater British fighting force and we imitate the British stiff upper lip and disdain for loudness or brashness.

Next door of course your country was founded on rebellion, the gun, violent expressions of power and force and many more wars and battles. American history is very much about fighting and the military and we do notice the importance placed on patriotic displays which is deeply engrained in your culture. More importantly you use the melting pot theory-where everyone should be American first. In Canada right now we are the exact opposite you are what ever you want to be, then we use a hyphen and then the word Canadian. Huge difference.

You don't get Canadians saying love it or leave it. Too polite. We keep such thoughts inside.

My only comment about your patriotism is its not all bad because it unifies your country. Having pride in your united vision and in the sacrifice of your soldiers I believe is important. We too honour our soldiers and that kind of patriotism is crucial. It helps us understand what we take for granted but people died for.

That said I myself am uncomfortable with anyone in my country or yours that engages in the kind of patriotism that over-exaggerates power, might, killing. My Dad was a WW2 vet and flew in WW2 and then after the war switched over and retired as a Major in the Army. I met vets and American vets, Canadian vets, British vets, Dutch underground vets, Israeli vets, Norweigan resistance fighter vets in my day. Never saw one brag to me. I know people from the Vietnam war both Americans and Canadians. Never saw one brag. I volunteered overseas digging latrines and ditches none of the soldiers I knew were braggers.

I get the Marines have a special way of expressing themselves as do all your units. I still do not see that as bragging.

I just see civilians getting caught up using patriotism to justify hating others. I do not think the US has sactificed as much as it has so that its people would feel it gives them the right to hate others.

I come from a line of Canadians that read. We know how much tax money you Americans spend on your military. We know they do not just impose. We know how many people the US Navy saves on the open seas every year. I do not even want to think what the world would be like if American military did not counter the Russians and Chinese or lead this damn never ending war against terrorism.

So I think its important you guys feel proud for the right reasons.

Abbey Marie
07-07-2021, 09:01 AM
For those old enough to remember, George Foreman was the the prototypical, America/White Man-hating, defiant, attitudinal "negro" of the 70s. It took George Foreman and his attituded to turn the reviled, draft-dodging, cowardly, hated Muhammed Ali from heel to babyface.

True about Foreman.

If you listen to his interviews, he credits his faith in Jesus with turning his life around. Which he indeed did. And he does all sorts of good in the world ever since.

Gunny
07-08-2021, 10:00 PM
I absoluteky agree he was crucial in the turning of Ali from hated to admired.I would put Foreman in that category with Jim Brown from the Cleveland Browns. I think people got they would not put up with crap about being black but they themselves hated everyone equally. I also think Ali's just out and out reverse racist beliefs from his memberdship in Elijah Muhammed's movement of Black Muslims wore off like it did Malcolm X before Malcolm X was murdered. Reverse hatred won't work on you if you genuinely are a good person inside. Your good always prevails. Call me naive but I believe that.

All I know is the most effective leaders transcend all kinds of hatred. They rise above it. They don't immitate it in reverse.

While we are on the subject of American patriotism...we Canadians are very low key about displaying patriotism. We tend to be obsessed with including everyone in our ceremonies and we are right now so focused on avoiding defining what a Canadian is. We are in a head space where we include anything and everything to avoid sounding bigoted. While we do that we have this kind of strange reaction to our history as to how we dealt with native Canadians. We like to look at the states and say you guys were much worse and we were decent and fair but we have our issues including murdering God knows how many native children in forced schooling and separation from their parents including experimenting on them for science.

However we of course were founded the exact opposite reason of the US, we loved the King and paying taxes. So we are by collective origin a nation that was the anti-thesis of rebellion and our military history is mostly based as being part of a greater British fighting force and we imitate the British stiff upper lip and disdain for loudness or brashness.

Next door of course your country was founded on rebellion, the gun, violent expressions of power and force and many more wars and battles. American history is very much about fighting and the military and we do notice the importance placed on patriotic displays which is deeply engrained in your culture. More importantly you use the melting pot theory-where everyone should be American first. In Canada right now we are the exact opposite you are what ever you want to be, then we use a hyphen and then the word Canadian. Huge difference.

You don't get Canadians saying love it or leave it. Too polite. We keep such thoughts inside.

My only comment about your patriotism is its not all bad because it unifies your country. Having pride in your united vision and in the sacrifice of your soldiers I believe is important. We too honour our soldiers and that kind of patriotism is crucial. It helps us understand what we take for granted but people died for.

That said I myself am uncomfortable with anyone in my country or yours that engages in the kind of patriotism that over-exaggerates power, might, killing. My Dad was a WW2 vet and flew in WW2 and then after the war switched over and retired as a Major in the Army. I met vets and American vets, Canadian vets, British vets, Dutch underground vets, Israeli vets, Norweigan resistance fighter vets in my day. Never saw one brag to me. I know people from the Vietnam war both Americans and Canadians. Never saw one brag. I volunteered overseas digging latrines and ditches none of the soldiers I knew were braggers.

I get the Marines have a special way of expressing themselves as do all your units. I still do not see that as bragging.

I just see civilians getting caught up using patriotism to justify hating others. I do not think the US has sactificed as much as it has so that its people would feel it gives them the right to hate others.

I come from a line of Canadians that read. We know how much tax money you Americans spend on your military. We know they do not just impose. We know how many people the US Navy saves on the open seas every year. I do not even want to think what the world would be like if American military did not counter the Russians and Chinese or lead this damn never ending war against terrorism.

So I think its important you guys feel proud for the right reasons.Well stated. Your info on us appears to be a bit dated. We used to be "Americans". That "Hyphen first" virus has us about at divided as it gets. That and those good men who do nothing.

I don't recall every hearing anyone bragging about killing. Not a vet. Then again, there are the John Kerry types. Never ran into one. Ran into a few that talked a lot of sh*t BEFORE shooting started. That usually cured itself. It has been my observation that those who do the most talking about killing aren't for doing it themselves.

"Patriotism" is one of the pawns in the game of racial hatred and division. I think it's a bunch of crap. Our own law and the misuse of them is our undoing. "Once an eagle ..."

Mika-El
07-09-2021, 04:59 PM
Well stated. Your info on us appears to be a bit dated. We used to be "Americans". That "Hyphen first" virus has us about at divided as it gets. That and those good men who do nothing.

I don't recall every hearing anyone bragging about killing. Not a vet. Then again, there are the John Kerry types. Never ran into one. Ran into a few that talked a lot of sh*t BEFORE shooting started. That usually cured itself. It has been my observation that those who do the most talking about killing aren't for doing it themselves.

"Patriotism" is one of the pawns in the game of racial hatred and division. I think it's a bunch of crap. Our own law and the misuse of them is our undoing. "Once an eagle ..."

I defer to your point about hyphenated Americans of course.

Second, excellent point about John Kerry. You know I really found his exploiting his service to puff himself like you do-nauseating. Look I get former people of service should be proud but I think you ae dead on about him. What a phony sob.

Totally agree with your comments on the misuse of patriotism.

Mika-El
07-09-2021, 05:09 PM
True about Foreman.

If you listen to his interviews, he credits his faith in Jesus with turning his life around. Which he indeed did. And he does all sorts of good in the world ever since.

If someone's religion can help them learn humility like it did big George, I think that is a great thing. I admire humble people who see something more important than themselves out there. There you go, I am not conventionally religious and I am Jewish, but I think what you said was dead on. It made him the man he is.

Gunny
07-11-2021, 09:50 AM
If someone's religion can help them learn humility like it did big George, I think that is a great thing. I admire humble people who see something more important than themselves out there. There you go, I am not conventionally religious and I am Jewish, but I think what you said was dead on. It made him the man he is.A key ingredient to a successful society. An ingredient sorely lacking in ours as of late. It's all about me and what I want and tough cookies for anyone it screws over.