PDA

View Full Version : Is cashing in a marriage near retirement a thing?

tailfins
07-08-2021, 01:50 PM
I noticed some MGTOW commenters talk about some hypergamous women whose husbands were the best cash cow available during his prime earning years decide to grab half his retirement to go find another non-retired cash cow (aka husband). Is this a thing? If so, how common is it?

I stumbled across this while doing some basic research:

Interesting reading, the comments below, even more so:

https://www.wife.org/ss-benefits-married10years.htm

Here is a rather interesting one:

Here’s something to keep in mind as you go through divorce: your state lawmakers write the laws about how divorce works in your state, not your soon-to-be-ex. So don’t take legal advice from him.
You are entitled to spousal support (California’s term for alimony) as long as you need it and he has the ability to pay it.

What does ability mean in this case? One can choose NOT to retire.

darin
07-08-2021, 02:31 PM
I really cannot stand how men face systemic sexism in our legal system and not enough people care. It's truly the only reason I think i would ever kneel during an anthem.

Not-retiring IS a method to keep money-grubbers from getting their mitts on more money. But 'ability to pay it' is not true - Courts impute income on men. The court can say "That man SHOULD be able to earn $100k/year (for example), thus his "support" payment is based on that, not his current income of $50k (for example)."

Nevermind when a man works as the sole-source of income for 20 years supporting his no-income-generating spouse...she gets the benefit of free room and board for two decades then demands more after she decides to leave him for the pool boy, etc.