PDA

View Full Version : Marriage expiration date?

Abbey Marie
09-23-2007, 11:08 AM
The bolded paragraph explains a lot... I wonder how the vows would sound, lol.

Glamorous politician wants law to allow 7-year itch
By Madeline Chambers
Fri Sep 21, 4:00 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - Bavaria's most glamorous politician -- a flame-haired motorcyclist who helped bring down state premier Edmund Stoiber -- has shocked the Catholic state in Germany by suggesting marriage should last just 7 years.

Gabriele Pauli, who poses on her web site in motorcycle leathers, is standing for the leadership of Bavaria's Christian Social Union (CSU) -- sister party of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) -- in a vote next week.

She told reporters at the launch of her campaign manifesto on Wednesday she wanted marriage to expire after seven years and accused the CSU, which promotes traditional family values, of nurturing ideals of marriage which are wide of the mark.

"The basic approach is wrong ... many marriages last just because people believe they are safe," she told reporters. "My suggestion is that marriages expire after seven years."

After that time, couples should either agree to extend their marriage or it should be automatically dissolved, she said.

Fifty-year-old Pauli, twice divorced, is a maverick intent on shaking up her male-dominated and mainly Catholic party which has dominated Bavarian politics since World War Two.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070921/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_germany_politics_marriage

darin
09-23-2007, 11:13 AM
that (NOT the woman who posted this story) women needs two solid weeks of...yeah.. :-/

She thinks she's smart - she thinks she's shaking things up. She's a fool.

Trigg
09-23-2007, 12:13 PM
VOWS:

I ______ promise to love, honor and obey until 1. Something better comes along. 2. He looses his job and we're broke. 3. I was bored.

Mr. P
09-23-2007, 12:28 PM
VOWS:

I ______ promise to love, honor and obey until 1. Something better comes along. 2. He looses his job and we're broke. 3. I was bored.

Sad isn't it?

Cheyenne
09-23-2007, 01:20 PM
BERLIN (Reuters) - Bavaria's most glamorous politician -- a flame-haired motorcyclist who helped bring down state premier Edmund Stoiber -- has shocked the Catholic state in Germany by suggesting marriage should last just 7 years.
Despite this "woman", most that enter marriage do so believing that they are different; that they will not be among the divorce statistics; they are truly in love & can make the marriage work.
I think a lot of them have the determination, fortitude & heart to carry this out.

The family/marriage is under attack. But, marriage is not dead.

Yurt
09-23-2007, 02:49 PM
VOWS:

I ______ promise to love, honor and obey until I sober up.

Your loving wife, Britney.

darin
09-23-2007, 02:51 PM
People view marriage as a 'legal' arrangement only; the whole concept of personal Vows is insane to humanists, etc.

Cheyenne
09-23-2007, 04:08 PM
People view marriage as a 'legal' arrangement only; the whole concept of personal Vows is insane to humanists, etc.

That is because we've made it a "legal arrangement". With the divorce rate & pre-nups all that takes legal action.

But personal vows do mean something to those who take their wedding/marriage seriously, no matter what their beliefs.

darin
09-23-2007, 04:10 PM
...and regardless of their 'legal' status. Said another way, people can absolutely vow to one-another and 'be' married w/o a marriage license.

Cheyenne
09-23-2007, 04:24 PM
...and regardless of their 'legal' status. Said another way, people can absolutely vow to one-another and 'be' married w/o a marriage license.Those are called Commitment ceremonies...something a lot of gays participate in.

If you believe you've chosen right then why would you be concerned in making it "legal"?
These are the only states that recognize traditional common law marriages. Alabama, Colorado, District of Columbia, Georgia, Idaho.

These recognize common law if it was before 1996; Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Ohio. And these if it was before 1991; Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina and Texas.

And there are some elderly couples that opt for this type of ceremony because when they marry the woman usually loses her income & they can't live on just one; so they are penalized for marrying.

Abbey Marie
09-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I dunno. I never heard of Jesus changing water into wine for the Committment Ceremony at Cana. :laugh2:

-Cp
09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
I never heard of a "marriage license" mentioned anywhere in the Bible...

I know for a fact that Adam and Eve didn't have one.. :P

Abbey Marie
09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
that (NOT the woman who posted this story) women needs two solid weeks of...yeah.. :-/

She thinks she's smart - she thinks she's shaking things up. She's a fool.

I just noticed the words in parentheses. Thanks for making that clear. :D

Psychoblues
10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I've been married to my wife now 31 years. My first lasted 6 and that was 5 years and approximately 11 months too damn long. I don't think marriages are anything like you imply, but if that is what you believe as the conservative you purport yourself to be then I will not deny it solely for the purpose of embarrassing you.

Psychoblues
10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
It made me LOL!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 11:16 PM
I ______ promise to love, honor and obey until I sober up.

Your loving wife, Britney.

That is a really good one! :D

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I believe marriage leads to less sex, more stress, and less personal space.

NO thanks.

The bolded paragraph explains a lot... I wonder how the vows would sound, lol.

Glamorous politician wants law to allow 7-year itch
By Madeline Chambers
Fri Sep 21, 4:00 AM ET

Gabriele Pauli, who poses on her web site in motorcycle leathers, is standing for the leadership of Bavaria's Christian Social Union (CSU) -- sister party of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) -- in a vote next week.

She told reporters at the launch of her campaign manifesto on Wednesday she wanted marriage to expire after seven years and accused the CSU, which promotes traditional family values, of nurturing ideals of marriage which are wide of the mark.

"The basic approach is wrong ... many marriages last just because people believe they are safe," she told reporters. "My suggestion is that marriages expire after seven years."

After that time, couples should either agree to extend their marriage or it should be automatically dissolved, she said.

Fifty-year-old Pauli, twice divorced, is a maverick intent on shaking up her male-dominated and mainly Catholic party which has dominated Bavarian politics since World War Two.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070921/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_germany_politics_marriage

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2007, 11:42 PM
www.nomarriage.com

That is a really good one! :D

Psychoblues
10-03-2007, 11:51 PM
This die hard liberal doesn't have a problem with marriage.

www.nomarriage.com

Exactly what is your problem?

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2007, 11:51 PM
This really isnt a political issue. I dont believe in marriage.

whats your problem?

This die hard liberal doesn't have a problem with marriage.

Exactly what is your problem?

Psychoblues
10-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Then I would suggest that you not marry, martin.

This really isnt a political issue. I dont believe in marriage.

whats your problem?

But your statement begs the question, why do you insist with your inaneness in a conversation devoted to simple questions of marriage?

actsnoblemartin
10-04-2007, 12:41 AM
to answer your question, the thread was on marriage. So i decided to give an alternative opinion.

Then I would suggest that you not marry, martin.

But your statement begs the question, why do you insist with your inaneness in a conversation devoted to simple questions of marriage?

Psychoblues
10-04-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't get that, martin. You bitch me out, ignore the question altogether, repeatedly pm me and now want to skirt out of your cowardness?

to answer your question, the thread was on marriage. So i decided to give an alternative opinion.

My, my. You such a shit for self abuse.

diuretic
10-04-2007, 01:18 AM

No it isn't. That's a hysterical generalisation.

diuretic
10-04-2007, 01:19 AM
That is because we've made it a "legal arrangement". With the divorce rate & pre-nups all that takes legal action.

But personal vows do mean something to those who take their wedding/marriage seriously, no matter what their beliefs.

Of course it's a legal arrangement, it's created by law. And of course it should be taken seriously, it's a commitment.

Psychoblues
10-09-2007, 01:32 AM
I agree.

No it isn't. That's a hysterical generalisation.

I am certain some people fit the descripition, but I know I am not one of them. However, from the standpoint of American law maybe he is correct. As I believe the vows I made in the Church were sincere I don't really care what the law has to say about it. Why would anyone make such laws as to divide religious considerations with legal mumbo jumbo?

Maybe they just "had" to do it?

Cheyenne
10-09-2007, 02:20 AM
I believe marriage leads to less sex, more stress, and less personal space.
NO thanks.

IThis really isnt a political issue. I dont believe in marriage.Care to explain your stance on these statements?

Psychoblues
10-09-2007, 02:53 AM
I doubt if you will get any response for that question, Cheyenne.

Care to explain your stance on these statements?

Are you a real Indian?

Cheyenne
10-09-2007, 03:01 AM
I doubt if you will get any response for that question, Cheyenne. Really? I was hoping for a discussion here. He seems so adamantly against marriage & I wonder why. Has he had a bad marriage?

Are you a real Indian?:lmao::lmao::lmao: Not even close. Never gave that a thought when I chose the name. It was in reference to something else.

Psychoblues
10-09-2007, 03:11 AM
It's a tough word for many, Cheyenne.

Really? I was hoping for a discussion here. He seems so adamantly against marriage & I wonder why. Has he had a bad marriage?

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Not even close. Never gave that a thought when I chose the name. It was in reference to something else.

But like Grandma used to say, "You make your bed, you sleep in it."