PDA

View Full Version : A new Biden order will crack down on tech mergers

jimnyc
07-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Here's what I think - I think Biden, and more so democrats that still have semi properly functioning brains - will be working towards and making orders and other legislation to run and help and direct online technology and more. Their goal is to silence as much of the right as they can while pushing themselves through. Instead of looking at things from home users perspectives and citizenry altogether and legalities - it will be looked at as a democrat tool of the future.

Look at what they did in 2020, in which I think was last minute decisions & out in the open & used it to do just what I said - censor/silence the right, while altering truths and using the technology and media as an arm of politics.

---

A new Biden order will crack down on tech mergers, data gathering and ISPs

President Joe Biden is set to sign a sweeping executive order Friday that targets anti-competitive practices in the economy, particularly in the tech industry. According to a White House fact sheet, the order will bring new scrutiny to mergers between tech companies and encourage new rules on data collection and broadband access and affordability.

The order, which the White House says will include "72 initiatives by more than a dozen federal agencies," calls on both the Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Communications Commission to issue new restrictions on and rules to govern the tech sector.

It calls on the FTC, in particular, to establish new rules governing data collection by big tech companies, as well as rules "barring unfair methods of competition on internet marketplaces." The FTC's new chair, Lina Khan, has been one of the tech sector's fiercest critics on the topic of antitrust and has also written about the privacy harms caused by data-driven advertising.

The order will also ask the FCC to limit the ability of internet service providers to sign exclusive deals with landlords, which prevent tenants from seeking out competitive offers. Biden is also requesting that the FCC "limit excessive early termination fees," restore net neutrality protections and require ISPs to publicly report their pricing information.

While these changes will all require agency participation, the most immediate change affecting the tech industry is the order's adoption of a broad administrative policy of "greater scrutiny of mergers," the fact sheet said. This order would make it U.S. policy to analyze the effect of Big Tech mergers on small competitors, privacy and the ability of tech giants to amass data. It would also take into account the effect that even free products have on competition, a shift in approach for antitrust policy which has traditionally focused on anticompetitive companies pushing higher costs onto consumers.

The order also takes aim at other industries, including health care, banking and transportation.

https://www.protocol.com/biden-executive-order-competition