PDA

View Full Version : What Christians Say..

darin
09-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Due to a recent topic, I've put-together a list of things said by folk who claim to be Christians.

Dammit!
Fuck that!
Shit
Piece of fucking shit
Piece of Shit
Hell (yes/no, etc)!
and you anally rape little boys. enjoy some sweet young virgin ass.[said directly to me, actually, from a professing christian]
suck it!

See - I don't have a 'holy' and 'non-holy' list of words. IMO, the 'bad' in words is purely driven by context.

If I'm mad at somebody and call him a piece of shit - it's the SAME as if I called him a piece of Poop. Using 'poop' doesn't make the sentiment any less hateful or unloving.

Likewise (and Jeff knows THIS analogy) on Madden, etc, when I make a good play and say "yeahh bitch! Take it!" there's no animosity or hatred or anger there - only manly-competition, etc.

Thoughts?

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Foul language is simply foul language my friend, and it is condemned. You will never find an example of my having used such language on this or any other board.

5stringJeff
09-23-2007, 01:40 PM
I still disagree that such language is becoming of a Christian, regardless of context. I still find myself using such words on occasion, but I do my best not to.

AFbombloader
09-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Nobody is perfect and I doubt any of us claim to be. Christians struggle with all sorts of things and using foul language is one of them. It doesn't make us any less Christian. We all sin, and always will.

AF:salute:

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 01:50 PM
The point, AFBombloader, is that you are to try to do better. It might behoove you to read Colossians 4:5-6 and Ephesians 4:29.

AFbombloader
09-23-2007, 02:04 PM
The point, AFBombloader, is that you are to try to do better. It might behoove you to read Colossians 4:5-6 and Ephesians 4:29.

I agree completely, and I hope I did not appear to approve of using colorful expressions. I do struggle with this and I do try not to use it. I am familiar with both verses you pointed me to and know of more that tell us how we should conduct ourselves. Thanks!

-Cp
09-23-2007, 02:09 PM

What do those scriptures have to do with the context of the original post?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h260/beck72761/alienhiliary.gif

darin
09-23-2007, 02:12 PM

So....is 'poop-head' not sinful, but 'shit head' is?

darin
09-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I still disagree that such language is becoming of a Christian, regardless of context. I still find myself using such words on occasion, but I do my best not to.

Context dictates. Always. :)

AFbombloader
09-23-2007, 02:23 PM
What do those scriptures have to do with the context of the original post?

A better series of verses is Romans 3:9-18, specifically vs. 14. These verses say the nno one is righteous and we all have made and will make mistakes. I will leave up to the Lord to judge me.

PostmodernProphet
09-23-2007, 02:32 PM
it can have it's purpose....

I Corinthians 9
19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law,[c] that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God,[d] but under law toward Christ[e]), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as[f] weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

darin
09-23-2007, 02:33 PM
absolutely, PMP. :)

5stringJeff
09-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Context dictates. Always. :)

So in which context would it be OK for me to, say, have sex with a little college hottie? :)

darin
09-23-2007, 03:09 PM
So in which context would it be OK for me to, say, have sex with a little college hottie? :)

If you were married to her. :)

5stringJeff
09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
If you were married to her. :)

Exactly, because the Bible is clear that sex is reserved for marriage, and that extramarital sex, regardless of context, is a sin - just as the Bible says that cussing, regardless of context, is a sin.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
So....is 'poop-head' not sinful, but 'shit head' is?

You will notice, dmp, that I didn't say that. A euphemistic approach is just as wrong as actually saying the words.

darin
09-23-2007, 03:22 PM
You will notice, dmp, that I didn't say that. A euphemistic approach is just as wrong as actually saying the words.

absolutely. except you're wrong - and that proves my point. Saying words doesn't mean ANYTHING. MEANING means everything. :)

darin
09-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Exactly, because the Bible is clear that sex is reserved for marriage, and that extramarital sex, regardless of context, is a sin - just as the Bible says that cussing, regardless of context, is a sin.

Absolutely - CONTEXT of behavior is the litmus test. So - you asked "Under which context could I have sex w/ a little college hottie?" The answer, therefore, is - In the context of a marriage. Extramarital IS the context in which sex is sinful. See?

-Cp
09-23-2007, 04:04 PM

In your opinion, what makes a certain word a word a Christian shouldn't say?

And, secondly, can you back up -scripturally - which specific words are "bad" words?

I find it a bit odd - having grown up in "the church" that so many "church-goers" have somehow adopted a self-serving laundry-list of "do's and dont's" under the guise of somehow "showing the lost" we're a "Christian".

It's odd because last I checked; Christ did NOT say "they'll know you're my Disciples by":
- The words you speak
- The clothes you wear
- How many Sunday Services one attends
- The Car you drive
- The home you live in
- What you type to others online
- What certain status-quo today's institution of Church places on you

No... what he said was: "They'll know you're my Disciples by your LOVE for one another"... (John 13:35 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2013:35;&version=49;))

Paul continues this theme in 1 Corinthians 13 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2013;&version=51;).

As far as which words we choose to speak at any given time, it DOES depend on WHO you're talking to and what the context of the conversation is all about. PmP did a nice job of outling Paul's desire to "become all things to all men, that by doing so - some may be saved".

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h260/beck72761/alienhiliary.gif

retiredman
09-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I wonder if Jesus used any "bad" words when he was kicking the moneychangers out of the temple?

darin
09-23-2007, 04:12 PM
If people expect Christians not to say 'fuck', would it be sinful to say 'fuck' around them?

The point isn't what we have a legal or scriptural right to say - it's about striving to know our audience. Some folk think cussing is sinful, and wouldn't expect somebody sharing Christ with them to say 'Yeah, and the fucked up part of this is..." etc. ANY christian who uses that language/tone around somebody who considers it sinful is 'sinning'.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I wonder if Jesus used any "bad" words when he was kicking the moneychangers out of the temple?

Christ lived a sinless life, if you knew your bible you would know that manfrommaine. So, the answer to your worldly musing in this instance would be a definitive no.

retiredman
09-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Christ lived a sinless life, if you knew your bible you would know that manfrommaine. So, the answer to your worldly musing in this instance would be a definitive no.

that assumes that angrily kicking out the moneychangers and using strong language to express his distaste was "a sin".

I ain't buyin' it, Mr. Piety.

Abbey Marie
09-23-2007, 04:42 PM

I agree that this is the key point.

The other thing is that whether we mean a word to be foul, or just joking around, non-Christians are paying attention and will take notice. They may not be aware of, or care about, "context". But they will think Christian beliefs are rather meaningless and Christians are hypocritical, if they behave no better than everyone else.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 04:44 PM
that assumes that angrily kicking out the moneychangers and using strong language to express his distaste was "a sin".

Back it up with scripture manfrommaine? Just once, back up a claim.

Abbey Marie
09-23-2007, 04:45 PM

Didn't you post recently about how involved you are in your church? How odd for someone in your professed leadership position to insult someone for quoting the Bible and saying Jesus was sinless.

Oh, wait, are you in one of those secular progressive "churches"?

retiredman
09-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Didn't you post recently about how involved you are in your church? How odd for someone in your professed leadership position to insult someone for quoting the Bible and saying Jesus was sinless.

Oh, wait, are you in one of those secular progressive "churches"?

reading comprehension issues, perhaps?

I have never tried to suggest that Jesus was not sinless. I HAVE suggested that if he used "bad" words (as defined by someone two millenia later) when he kicked those money changers out of the temple, that such use of language was not a "sin".

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 04:59 PM

I have never tried to suggest that Jesus was not sinless. I HAVE suggested that if he used "bad" words (as defined by someone two millenia later) when he kicked those money changers out of the temple, that such use of language was not a "sin".

Back it up with scripture manfrommaine, my bible says he was sinless, it also calls your speech a sin and you a hypocrite.

I challenge you to prove your point based on the word of God whom you claim to stand for but publicly disdain His word.

Abbey Marie
09-23-2007, 05:00 PM

I was referring to the derisive use of the phrase "Mr. Piety" towards Boogyman. Which was clearly stated, and was even quoted in my post. Methinks it is you who need help with reading comprehension...

So, we will try again- how does a man in your professed church leadership position deride a man for quoting the Bible and proposing that we not use foul langauge? You must have some pretty salty sermons at your church.

retiredman
09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Back it up with scripture manfrommaine, my bible says he was sinless, it also calls your speech a sin and you a hypocrite.

I challenge you to prove your point based on the word of God whom you claim to stand for but publicly disdain His word.

my bible says Christ was sinless too. Now if you could show me where, in scripture, my calling you an insufferable PRICK or asshole was condemned as a sin, then we might have something....and using the old "unwholesome" gambit won't really cut it.

As Lenny Bruce said, "there are no such things as dirty words, only dirty minds" :lol:

darin
09-23-2007, 05:05 PM

That last barb by you - that's you MOCKING him for bringing up Scripture. That right there is your sin. Pride.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 05:07 PM
my bible says Christ was sinless too. Now if you could show me where, in scripture, my calling you an insufferable PRICK or asshole was condemned as a sin, then we might have something....and using the old "unwholesome" gambit won't really cut it.

As Lenny Bruce said, "there are no such things as dirty words, only dirty minds" :lol:

I have already shown you your error in the other thread manfrommaine, you simply refuse to hold to the word you claim to represent.

retiredman
09-23-2007, 05:09 PM
I was referring to the derisive use of the phrase "Mr. Piety" towards Boogyman. Which was clearly stated, and was even quoted in my post. Methinks it is you who need help with reading comprehension...

So, we will try again- how does a man in your professed church leadership position deride a man for quoting the Bible and proposing that we not use foul langauge? You must have some pretty salty sermons at your church.

I am quite sorry. I did not see your post as focusing on the Mr. Piety comment. MY reply was aimed at this sentence: How odd for someone in your professed leadership position to insult someone for quoting the Bible and saying Jesus was sinless.

I never insulted anyone for quoting the bible and saying that Jesus was sinless. Hence my question about language comprehension.

My own use of language is flexible based upon the audience. I speak to the congregation with a different set of words than I do to my golfing foursome. I speak to my teenaged daughter and her friends with a differnt set of words than I do my 32 year old son when we are sharing a beer and watching a red sox game.

That does not make me less of a Christian.

Said1
09-23-2007, 05:09 PM
That last barb by you - that's you MOCKING him for bringing up Scripture. That right there is your sin. Pride.

He's judging too, which is bad. I don't need a quote to back that up, do I? :laugh2:

darin
09-23-2007, 05:11 PM
He's judging too, which is bad. I don't need a quote to back that up, do I? :laugh2:

lol :) He'll want three links, a quote, and possibly a blessing by a priest. Even then, he'll only agree on things he says.

retiredman
09-23-2007, 05:17 PM
I have already shown you your error in the other thread manfrommaine, you simply refuse to hold to the word you claim to represent.

you have shown me nothing.... despite your unfounded claims to the contrary.

retiredman
09-23-2007, 05:19 PM

pride? what does my pointing out that suggesting that Christ was sinless is somehow proof that he did not use "bad words" (and what is the list of banned aramaic words, by the way?) when he kicked the moneychangers out a demonstration of my pride?

retiredman
09-23-2007, 05:20 PM
and, for the record, I have NEVER claimed to be anything other than a sinner.... we all are that.

darin
09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
pride? what does my pointing out that suggesting that Christ was sinless is somehow proof that he did not use "bad words" (and what is the list of banned aramaic words, by the way?) when he kicked the moneychangers out a demonstration of my pride?

No, your Mr. Piety barb. That's a jab and not called for. That's mocking.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 05:26 PM

Yes, you do. The bible does not say don't judge Said1, it says the following.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

These texts clearly tell you that you will be judged by the same standard you judge with, not that you should never judge.

With this in mind, you should also consider John 7:24.

24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

So much for the you cannot make a judgement argument, it is based on a lack of scriptural knowledge.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 05:30 PM
you have shown me nothing.... despite your unfounded claims to the contrary.

2 Timothy 3:7, read it.

Said1
09-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, you do. The bible does not say don't judge Said1, it says the following.

These texts clearly tell you that you will be judged by the same standard you judge with, not that you should never judge.

So much for the you cannot make a judgement argument, it is based on a lack of scriptural knowledge.

*sigh* I didn't say the bible says you "can't" judge. My post clearly states that. So much for you thinking you got me on something you didn't argument. Well done. :)

With this in mind, you should also consider John 7:24.

You're right, I probably misjudged you when I made the original comments in your defense based on the "appearance" (CONTEXT) of your posts. Perhaps I was overly hasty. Won't happen again, ever. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
09-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Said & Boogyman: I think it's just a misunderstanding...

Cheyenne
09-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Due to a recent topic, I've put-together a list of things said by folk who claim to be Christians.........Thoughts?

The Bible does not lay down a prohibited vocabulary list. However is does give guidelines:

Lascivious speech.....2Peter 2:18
Corrupt...................Ephesians 4:19
Foolish....................Ephesians 5:4

What one culture deems profane, another may not. But "flipping the bird" is a universal sign everyone understands.

retiredman
09-23-2007, 07:09 PM
No, your Mr. Piety barb. That's a jab and not called for. That's mocking.

and saying something that you deem "uncalled for" and "mocking" is an example of "pride".....how exactly?

Gunny
09-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Foul language is simply foul language my friend, and it is condemned. You will never find an example of my having used such language on this or any other board.

Condemned? Looks to me more like it's glamorized in today's society.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Said & Boogyman: I think it's just a misunderstanding...

Could very well be such after a re-read. Said, if I misunderstood you, please accept my public apology.

OCA
09-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Well aren't you just fucking special!

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Well aren't you just fucking special!

Why yes, yes I am special! LOL

Egads.......

OCA
09-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Why yes, yes I am special! LOL

Egads.......

Nah you think you are more pious because you don't say fuck, I say fuck, does that make me less pious or a bad person in your eyes?

BTW, I don't give a damn if people curse as long as they know the situational rules of cussing, don't think Jesus gives a crap about cursing as long as its not blasphemous.

gabosaurus
09-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Actions speak louder than words.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Nah you think you are more pious because you don't say fuck, I say fuck, does that make me less pious or a bad person in your eyes?

BTW, I don't give a damn if people curse as long as they know the situational rules of cussing, don't think Jesus gives a crap about cursing as long as its not blasphemous.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you OCA, and I would also ask you to reconsider such a position based on the reasoning put forth in this thread. Not for the bogus accusations of piety, but simply for your own good with an eye towards eternity.

OCA
09-23-2007, 08:42 PM
I would have to respectfully disagree with you OCA, and I would also ask you to reconsider such a position based on the reasoning put forth in this thread. Not for the bogus accusations of piety, but simply for your own good with an eye towards eternity.

So you know what is best for me? You know better than myself what is best for me?

BTW.......1993 graduate of Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX..........I ran into your holier than thou type:dance all 4.5 yrs.

God loves me even when I say............fuck yeah! God loves me even if I only attend church about 6-10 times a year, God loves me even if I have a bottle or 3 of wine in one night and get hogged up and raise hell, God loves me even if I gamble on everything under the sun. God loves me even if I condemn, shun and ridicule people with whom I disagree lifestyle wise.

Abbey Marie
09-23-2007, 08:45 PM
So you know what is best for me? You know better than myself what is best for me?

BTW.......1993 graduate of Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX..........I ran into your holier than thou type:dance all 4.5 yrs.

God loves me even when I say............fuck yeah! God loves me even if I only attend church about 6-10 times a year, God loves me even if I have a bottle or 3 of wine in one night and get hogged up and raise hell, God loves me even if I gamble on everything under the sun. God loves me even if I condemn, shun and ridicule people with whom I disagree lifestyle wise.

Well, duh- we all love you, you ornery Greek! :)

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Interesting view OCA, and completely unsupportable with scripture, but the ACC diploma explains the viewpoint. :laugh2: :poke:

You are correct that God does love you, that doesn't mean that you cannot trespass His will and be lost though.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

OCA
09-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Interesting view OCA, and completely unsupportable with scripture, but the ACC diploma explains the viewpoint. :laugh2: :poke:

You are correct that God does love you, that doesn't mean that you cannot trespass His will and be lost though.

What if there is no God?

Abbey Marie
09-23-2007, 08:59 PM
What if there is no God?

Then I'm going to be really ticked in my dark and dirty grave, lol. :coffee:

darin
09-23-2007, 09:04 PM
What if there is no God?

dude - if you aren't even sure God exists, why are you debating something about Christianity? Relax :)

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 09:12 PM
What if there is no God?

We are to live by faith which is a combination of hope and expectation, if you have no faith you cannot accept the truth of God. You will one day believe though, even if you do not now, at that point however it will be too late.

Gunny
09-23-2007, 09:14 PM

An eye towards eternity? Getting a bit deep in here, I think.

Gunny
09-23-2007, 09:16 PM
We are to live by faith which is a combination of hope and expectation, if you have no faith you cannot accept the truth of God. You will one day believe though, even if you do not now, at that point however it will be too late.

:smoke:

Really now? "Too late" is not the way it's ever been taught to me. You sound like one of those Nowhere, TX, fire-n-brimstone, unforgiving God types to me.

darin
09-23-2007, 09:18 PM
:smoke:

Really now? "Too late" is not the way it's ever been taught to me. You sound like one of those Nowhere, TX, fire-n-brimstone, unforgiving God types to me.

he's talking about 'after you die'. :)

Gunny
09-23-2007, 09:20 PM
he's talking about 'after you die'. :)

I have no intention of doing such, so problem solved.:beer:

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 09:25 PM
I have no intention of doing such, so problem solved.:beer:

Umm, yeah, the whole death thing was implied Gunny. LOL

OCA
09-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Jesus loves me this I know
For the bible tells me so
Little ones to him belong
They are weak but he is strong

Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves
The bible tells me so even if I drink, gamble and curse.

Did y'all know that Jesus was a big fan of the cabernet sauvignon that was bottled two years before he was nailed up at Golgotha? Check it out, he's enjoying some with some pre main course gouda in the last supper painting.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Jesus loves me this I know
For the bible tells me so
Little ones to him belong
They are weak but he is strong

Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves
The bible tells me so even if I drink, gamble and curse.

Did y'all know that Jesus was a big fan of the cabernet sauvignon that was bottled two years before he was nailed up at Golgotha? Check it out, he's enjoying some with some pre main course gouda in the last supper painting.

I would have to imagine you would use such obviously fabricated and sensational commentary to try and garner a harsh response, no such response will be forthcoming as I don't validate such actions.

Gunny
09-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Umm, yeah, the whole death thing was implied Gunny. LOL

Umm, no, it wasn't.

You will one day believe though, even if you do not now, at that point however it will be too late.

I don't see death implied nor stated. I see "one day" -- a mortal condition -- being used as a point in time that one may no longer be saved.

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Umm, no, it wasn't.

I don't see death implied nor stated. I see "one day" -- a mortal condition -- being used as a point in time that one may no longer be saved.

Anyone considering the commentary from an honest viewpoint and a basic understanding of the scriptures would see that was exactly what I was referring to.

I regret that you did not see the angle I was taking on that comment as your assumption that I was speaking about the living is not what I had intended.

Gunny
09-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Anyone considering the commentary from an honest viewpoint and a basic understanding of the scriptures would see that was exactly what I was referring to.

I regret that you did not see the angle I was taking on that comment as your assumption that I was speaking about the living is not what I had intended.

I have no reason to view it from anything other than an honest viewpoint, and I easily have a basic understanding of the scriptures. What I don't do is read minds, and what you claim to be referring to is NOT clear.

Since you did not specify what you were speaking of, nor make a clear implication, I had no choice but assume based on what is actually written.

darin
09-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Thing is - Jesus' love for us is NOT based on our behaviour, good or bad. You can righly proclaim jesus' love for us regardless of what we do. However, the case in point in this thread is "As a christian, do you consider 'things we say' to be sinful in nature"

:)

Gunny
09-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Thing is - Jesus' love for us is NOT based on our behaviour, good or bad. You can righly proclaim jesus' love for us regardless of what we do. However, the case in point in this thread is "As a christian, do you consider 'things we say' to be sinful in nature"

In that regard, I agree with your previous assessment. It's the intent, not the verbage.

manu1959
09-23-2007, 11:22 PM
sin..........we do not get to decide what is or is not sinful....we get to find out later.....

Gunny
09-24-2007, 09:45 PM
sin..........we do not get to decide what is or is not sinful....we get to find out later.....

BLASPHEMER!!! You'll burn in Hellfire and damnation forever ......:poke:

manu1959
09-24-2007, 10:03 PM
BLASPHEMER!!! You'll burn in Hellfire and damnation forever ......:poke:

global warming is a ruse.........

Gunny
09-24-2007, 10:09 PM
global warming is a ruse.........

I disagree. I have it on good authority that Cheney is carrying it out on the orders of Bush.:tinfoil:

retiredman
09-25-2007, 07:02 AM

I think if I said things that were intentionally untruthful, slanderous, or hurtful, they would be sinful in nature. I do not think that merely peppering my language with fuck or shit or piss is, in and of itself, "sinful".

darin
09-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I think if I said things that were intentionally untruthful, slanderous, or hurtful, they would be sinful in nature. I do not think that merely peppering my language with fuck or shit or piss is, in and of itself, "sinful".

do you base that opinion on anything biblical?

retiredman
09-25-2007, 08:12 AM
I base that opinion on an absence of clear unambiguous biblical guidance to the contrary.

Hagbard Celine
09-25-2007, 09:02 AM
"Bad language" is purely contextual. I agree with dmp on this point. If you're talking trash and cursing it's a lot different than if you're livid and yelling curses at another person. That being said, I think all of the so-called "curse" words are simply words we use to express our emotions. Expletives. For instance, curse words usually only fly out of my mouth when I have a surge of emotion like anger or a reaction to pain. I think the real issue our society needs to address is the underlying one, which seems to be the suppression of emotion. Class appearances are based on how well one can keep a stiff upper lip without betraying emotion.

retiredman
09-25-2007, 09:12 AM
"Bad language" is purely contextual. I agree with dmp on this point. If you're talking trash and cursing it's a lot different than if you're livid and yelling curses at another person. That being said, I think all of the so-called "curse" words are simply words we use to express our emotions. Expletives. For instance, curse words usually only fly out of my mouth when I have a surge of emotion like anger or a reaction to pain. I think the real issue our society needs to address is the underlying one, which seems to be the suppression of emotion. Class appearances are based on how well one can keep a stiff upper lip without betraying emotion.

and I cannot disagree with any of that..... I just disagree when people try to say that using those words alone makes me a bad Christian, or that their use is a "sin".

darin
09-25-2007, 09:12 AM
I base that opinion on a absence of clear unambiguous biblical guidance to the contrary.

I think your definition of 'clear' is, well, muddy. The litmus test for what is or isn't sin isn't based on what YOU think - it's based on how your behaviour can hurt others. ;)

retiredman
09-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I think your definition of 'clear' is, well, muddy. The litmus test for what is or isn't sin isn't based on what YOU think - it's based on how your behaviour can hurt others. ;)

does my occasional use of the word "shit" hurt you, little buddy?

awwww.... I had no idea!

and are you suggesting that, if someone, for whatever reason, is "hurt" by my cheering for the Red Sox, that I have committed a "sin"?

darin
09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
and are you suggesting that, if someone, for whatever reason, is "hurt" by my cheering for the Red Sox, that I have committed a "sin"?

It might. If you flaunt something another doesn't like you may be sinning. If I brought Pig to a known muslim's house to taunt them, or flaunt MY freedom to eat pork..yup.

Likewise, if I knew a friend was a rabid Sox hater, and i flaunted my support for the team in a way to mock them or anger them? Yup.

You are simply too pig-headed and arrogant and VASTLY ignorant of Biblical principles to have a logical, reasonable conversation.

retiredman
09-25-2007, 09:26 AM
that is your arrogant, immature, confrontational opinion, and you certainly have a right to it and a right to express it. that does not make it correct...which, in this case, it is not, IMHO.

and again...I am so sorry my words hurt you, little buddy.

retiredman
09-25-2007, 09:27 AM
and eating a BLT in Beirut is a sin? I would like the scriptural reference for that one! :lol:

retiredman
09-25-2007, 09:35 AM
It might. If you flaunt something another doesn't like you may be sinning. If I brought Pig to a known muslim's house to taunt them, or flaunt MY freedom to eat pork..yup.

Likewise, if I knew a friend was a rabid Sox hater, and i flaunted my support for the team in a way to mock them or anger them? Yup.

You are simply too pig-headed and arrogant and VASTLY ignorant of Biblical principles to have a logical, reasonable conversation.

and all of those "sins" you list above describe otherwise unsinful behavior that gain their sinfulness by intent. If you could show my intent to sin, that would be real nice....little buddy.

Dilloduck
09-25-2007, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=-Cp;128401]In your opinion, what makes a certain word a word a Christian shouldn't say?

And, secondly, can you back up -scripturally - which specific words are "bad" words?

I find it a bit odd - having grown up in "the church" that so many "church-goers" have somehow adopted a self-serving laundry-list of "do's and dont's" under the guise of somehow "showing the lost" we're a "Christian".

It's odd because last I checked; Christ did NOT say "they'll know you're my Disciples by":
- The words you speak
- The clothes you wear
- How many Sunday Services one attends
- The Car you drive
- The home you live in
- What you type to others online
- What certain status-quo today's institution of Church places on you

No... what he said was: "They'll know you're my Disciples by your LOVE for one another"... (John 13:35 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2013:35;&version=49;))

Paul continues this theme in 1 Corinthians 13 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2013;&version=51;).

As far as which words we choose to speak at any given time, it DOES depend on WHO you're talking to and what the context of the conversation is all about. PmP did a nice job of outling Paul's desire to "become all things to all men, that by doing so - some may be saved".

Absolutely :clap:

darin
09-25-2007, 05:00 PM
and all of those "sins" you list above describe otherwise unsinful behavior that gain their sinfulness by intent. If you could show my intent to sin, that would be real nice....little buddy.

Your intent to sin is your arrogance. You refuse to change your behaviour based on your surroundings. You blatantly flaunt your 'freedom' to use vile, obnoxious and vulgar language. That is your sin. Like it or not. It's sin.

JackDaniels
09-26-2007, 07:51 PM

LOL, the typical "believe in my mythology or you will spend eternity in hell!" line. It's old.

To quote Christopher Hitchens, upon the death of Jerry Falwell - "I'm just sad that there isn't a hell for Falwell to go to!"

retiredman
09-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Your intent to sin is your arrogance. You refuse to change your behaviour based on your surroundings. You blatantly flaunt your 'freedom' to use vile, obnoxious and vulgar language. That is your sin. Like it or not. It's sin.

perhaps in the Gnostic Gospel according to dmp, but not according to my bible and not according to my ordained minister. I am gonna go with his learned views and not yours, if you don't mind.