PDA

View Full Version : Are We Too Big and Dumb for Democracy?

Hugh Lincoln
09-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Inspired by MB's thread on James Madison...

Are we too big (300 million plus, infinite religions, languages, ethnicities, regions, races, politics, values, desires, incomes, etc.) and too dumb (most Americans can't name their rep in Congress) for any kind of democracy or even republic?

Sometimes I think yes, sometimes no. Voters aren't THAT dumb. It depends on the day.

I think America is too big to be a meaningful nation, though. It should be broken into a few smaller countries.

MtnBiker
09-23-2007, 10:43 PM
You could add complacent to the list. The voter turnout is pitifull. Imagine if the voting populace actually held elected officals accountable.

Hagbard Celine
09-24-2007, 09:03 AM

Are we too big (300 million plus, infinite religions, languages, ethnicities, regions, races, politics, values, desires, incomes, etc.) and too dumb (most Americans can't name their rep in Congress) for any kind of democracy or even republic?

Sometimes I think yes, sometimes no. Voters aren't THAT dumb. It depends on the day.

I think America is too big to be a meaningful nation, though. It should be broken into a few smaller countries.

We could split it into New England, the Southern Confederacy, Florida, Texas, the Midlands and then the California territories could comprise just about everything west of the Rockies. Then we could form an EU-like governing body. That would be better. I'd move the hell out of the Southern Confederacy though.

Monkeybone
09-24-2007, 09:43 AM
go Midlands! we rules and gots corn! yah! eat it biznatches! :finger3:

but i could see something like that actually kinda working. would we just become America then instead of United States (apprently)? and how would we do military?

Nukeman
09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
go Midlands! we rules and gots corn! yah! eat it biznatches! :finger3:

but i could see something like that actually kinda working. would we just become America then instead of United States (apprently)? and how would we do military?As for the military the Liberal coast would be screwed since the vast majority of the military is form the heartland and southern US. So I would say the Libs on the coast should start being very nice to the south and midlands...

Hugh Lincoln
10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
As for the military the Liberal coast would be screwed since the vast majority of the military is form the heartland and southern US. So I would say the Libs on the coast should start being very nice to the south and midlands...

True. The snooties in the big cities might have to kiss a little redneck ass to save their own asses.

5stringJeff
10-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I'd move right back to Texas, sans any EU-type agreement.

April15
10-17-2007, 06:40 PM

The nation is not too big to be unified. A person could make jokes all day as to how smart the voters are. The original intent was to have little countries called states. With a main body to protect against invasion or commerce being hijacked on the high seas. That would promote interstate commerce by printing a currency to be used in all states that had a stable and backed value.
Over the years we have allowed and at times required the main body to force some of the states to accept certain actions that the individual state may not want to. And these were done to ensure tranquility for all.
Now these states resent the main body but still need the protection it can afford from outside evil.
Unification almost happened in 2001. It will take an event like that again to possibly bring the individual to understand that united we stand, divided we are falling.

JimmyAteWorld
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Gee, here's a thought....

Why don't we abolish all the Supreme Court decisions that have changed the Constitution, go back to actually using the Constitution, let the states go back to governing themselves, and just keep the country the way it is instead of splitting into sections.

It just might work, especially considering it worked fine for almost 200 years before people started screwing around with stuff.

Hagbard Celine
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Gee, here's a thought....

Why don't we abolish all the Supreme Court decisions that have changed the Constitution, go back to actually using the Constitution, let the states go back to governing themselves, and just keep the country the way it is instead of splitting into sections.

It just might work, especially considering it worked fine for almost 200 years before people started screwing around with stuff.

..I don't knooow. Seems like an awfully radical solution to me.:poke:

JimmyAteWorld
10-24-2007, 02:15 PM
..I don't knooow. Seems like an awfully radical solution to me.:poke:

Ain't it though. :salute: