PDA

View Full Version : Dem Efforts To Extend Eviction Moratorium Fail In The House

Gunny
07-31-2021, 11:36 AM
OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 7:20 AM PT – Saturday, July 31, 2021

Democrats have failed at a long shot effort to pass an extension on the federal eviction moratorium. On Friday night, House Democrats attempted to quickly pass a bill to extend the moratorium through unanimous consent, but failed to garner enough votes to pass the measure.
The moratorium, meant to keep renters in their homes amid coronavirus lockdowns, is set to expire at the end of the day on Saturday. On Friday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said there is a moral imperative for the extension, arguing the resurgence of the Delta variant has made it necessary.
“We’re in a situation where the pandemic has, of course, taken its new shape. As we’ve talked before, these viruses are resourceful,” said Pelosi. “When they are transmitted, they mutate and that makes it more of a challenge.”
Many Democrats have pushed for the Biden administration to take action on the issue. However, the White House is limited on what it can do after the Supreme Court ruled in June it would require an act of Congress to extend the moratorium any further.

According to a census survey from early July, over three million people nationwide expect to be evicted in the coming months and nearly 6.5 million said they have fallen behind on their rent. In the meantime, Congress has already allocated $47 billion to help renters pay their rent, but states have been slow to distribute those funds with only around $3 billion being spent by states and localities as of the end of June.

https://www.oann.com/dem-efforts-to-extend-eviction-moratorium-fail-in-the-house/

I am not sure why this is an issue. Yes, it has to come to an end at some point. I get that landlords aren't making money. So how much money do landlords make for empty dwellings?

Those ARE people they're dumping on the street. Seems to me it does nothing but exacerbate the economy issues by putting them there.