PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan war: Taliban push on while rejecting truce

Gunny
08-09-2021, 08:26 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58142983

WHy should the Taliban accept an international call for truce? Nobody's going to do squat. While quick to blame the US, the Taliban has been a problem for more than 20 years and who exactly has lifted a finger to do a thing but the US and the UK?

Is there some point where all these leftwingnut, "international" bodies and governments and groups figure out nobody is afraid of words? They fear only what backs them up, and only if it does.

fj1200
08-09-2021, 09:41 PM
When have they ever given a whit about international opinions?

Gunny
08-10-2021, 10:23 AM

Had to think about this one. You'll need to narrow the question/ provide context to your question. The World is sort of big and situational:)

Juicer66
08-10-2021, 11:00 AM

So you also think that the Taliban are following US precedence and invariable practise ?

Critical Thinkers hoped the US would learn after the ignominy of Korea and Vietnam .

Team GB learned after WW2 to only take on forces that they were almost guaranteed to beat and quickly.

fj1200
08-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Had to think about this one. You'll need to narrow the question/ provide context to your question. The World is sort of big and situational:)

I was thinking specifically about their behavior and actions prior to 2001 when they were terrorizing their own citizens, destroying pre-Islam relics, etc.

It was more of a rhetorical question. :)

So you also think that the Taliban are following US precedence and invariable practise ?

Critical Thinkers hoped the US would learn after the ignominy of Korea and Vietnam .

Team GB learned after WW2 to only take on forces that they were almost guaranteed to beat and quickly.

Not even close. To compare the two actions is flat-out stupid.

Team GB? Do you mean how Team GB supported us in Iraq and Afghanistan but found it much easier to withdraw? Saying this to you I'd say Team GB cut and run but saying it to almost any other GB folk I'd say thanks for the support.

Juicer66
08-10-2021, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=fj1200;985592]

Team GB? Do you mean how Team GB supported us in Iraq and Afghanistan but found it much easier to withdraw? Saying this to you I'd say Team GB cut and run but saying it to almost any other GB folk I'd say thanks for the support.[/QUOTENot even close.

To compare the two actions is flat-out stupid.
You mean that you are stumped .

Team GB supported us in Iraq and Afghanistan but found it much easier to withdraw
Millions tried vainly to stop Team GBs most hated man --- Tony Bliar .
Very embarrassed to admit that he is British and put him on a par with abominations like Cheney and Rumsfeld . But at least we were finally smart enough to get out leaving the big nincompoop holding the baby .And still the proverbial penny did not drop until a Sleepy old chap with mental health problems told his people to slink away at midnight when nobody was looking . That really made Americans proud , rofl .

fj1200
08-10-2021, 02:17 PM

Team GB supported us in Iraq and Afghanistan but found it much easier to withdraw
Very embarrassed to admit that he is British and put him on a par with abominations like Cheney and Rumsfeld . But at least we were finally smart enough to get out leaving the big nincompoop holding the baby .And still the proverbial penny did not drop until a Sleepy old chap with mental health problems told his people to slink away at midnight when nobody was looking . That really made Americans proud , rofl .

Team GB learned ...

So Team GB didn't learn. Gotcha.

Nevertheless, Biden is awful.

Gunny
08-11-2021, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=fj1200;985592]

Team GB? Do you mean how Team GB supported us in Iraq and Afghanistan but found it much easier to withdraw? Saying this to you I'd say Team GB cut and run but saying it to almost any other GB folk I'd say thanks for the support.[/QUOTENot even close.

Very embarrassed to admit that he is British and put him on a par with abominations like Cheney and Rumsfeld . But at least we were finally smart enough to get out leaving the big nincompoop holding the baby .And still the proverbial penny did not drop until a Sleepy old chap with mental health problems told his people to slink away at midnight when nobody was looking . That really made Americans proud , rofl .You don't know very much about your own country's military, do you? DYOR. I already posted a response and link in another Afghanistan thread where you spouted off regarding your incorrect statements.

Try painting it any way you like, Britain withdrew from Afghanistan with the US. Using YOUR parameter: "since the end of WWII" ... everywhere the US went, Great Britain followed so get over yourself. Korea was a UN action. Vietnam was a UN action. True, the US took the lead and shouldered the biggest burden. Britain was free to leave at any time.

And which county's ships are out right this minute pissing off the Chinese? Your boats are right there in the same water as ours. I myself question the wisdom of using your best and most modern aircraft carrier to bait Chinese submarines. For a China POV, that's a battlefield trade every day of the week.

You seem to know about as much about your military as you do covid.

In other words, educate yourself before running off at the mouth.