PDA

View Full Version : Liz Cheney

Gunny
08-16-2021, 11:47 AM
fj1200

To answer your questions first, "right" in this case, is based on the credibility of Cheney's accusations against Trump. Unproven to date. I'm all for her "telling the truth". In turn, I am going to judge her, and her "truth" based on what I know and believe. Same as you.

Liz Cheney is a Representative of the people in her district. If she is truly pushing the viewpoint of the majority of her constituency, I guess she won't be sweating reelection. Otherwise, to use it as a platform to push her personal dislike for Donald Trump is career suicide. This has been more of a problem on the right since 2016 as people on the right appear incapable of differentiating between the man as a person and the man as President. I stated early and often as a person I really can't stand Donald Trump. He was close to last on my list of candidates right up until he won the Republican primary. Then I supported the non-Democrat.

There is a contingent out there that hate Donald Trump. Nothing he did was good enough, and no matter how right what he wanted to do was, it was wrong and screw him. Cheney comes off as belonging to that crowd. Not very professional. IMO, she misplayed her hand from card one.

Running off at the mouth to the MSM that greedily gobbled up every word and beat it to death. I don't recall her exact words, but she has basically threatened to go after Trump for as long as it takes, no matter what. She broke ranks. You don't do that unless there is clear evidence of wrong-doing at the level required to convict a politician. Otherwise, aside form getting her face in print daily while she was the topic du jour she accomplished nothing but to create a rift, and a distraction for the Dems.

fj1200
08-16-2021, 12:50 PM
@fj1200 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=728)

To answer your questions first, "right" in this case, is based on the credibility of Cheney's accusations against Trump. Unproven to date. I'm all for her "telling the truth". In turn, I am going to judge her, and her "truth" based on what I know and believe. Same as you.

Liz Cheney is a Representative of the people in her district. If she is truly pushing the viewpoint of the majority of her constituency, I guess she won't be sweating reelection. Otherwise, to use it as a platform to push her personal dislike for Donald Trump is career suicide. This has been more of a problem on the right since 2016 as people on the right appear incapable of differentiating between the man as a person and the man as President. I stated early and often as a person I really can't stand Donald Trump. He was close to last on my list of candidates right up until he won the Republican primary. Then I supported the non-Democrat.

There is a contingent out there that hate Donald Trump. Nothing he did was good enough, and no matter how right what he wanted to do was, it was wrong and screw him. Cheney comes off as belonging to that crowd. Not very professional. IMO, she misplayed her hand from card one.

Running off at the mouth to the MSM that greedily gobbled up every word and beat it to death. I don't recall her exact words, but she has basically threatened to go after Trump for as long as it takes, no matter what. She broke ranks. You don't do that unless there is clear evidence of wrong-doing at the level required to convict a politician. Otherwise, aside form getting her face in print daily while she was the topic du jour she accomplished nothing but to create a rift, and a distraction for the Dems.

She may be overplaying her hand and might lose the chance to represent her district next time around. Time will tell. But you're right about the one contingent but there's the otherside that writes off anyone that go against trump in any fashion. :cough: Elder in CA :cough: Besides Cheney voted for the vast majority of trump's proposals so she's not a contrarian for contrarian sake.

Are you talking about her Afghanistan accusations? If so it's not only her opinion, others have made it as well. But logically speaking Afghanistan didn't start 7 months ago, it started 20 years ago and Biden happens to be the last say in the matter. I think Biden's awful performce wasn't helped by what went before him.

Gunny
08-16-2021, 01:31 PM
She may be overplaying her hand and might lose the chance to represent her district next time around. Time will tell. But you're right about the one contingent but there's the otherside that writes off anyone that go against trump in any fashion. :cough: Elder in CA :cough: Besides Cheney voted for the vast majority of trump's proposals so she's not a contrarian for contrarian sake.

Are you talking about her Afghanistan accusations? If so it's not only her opinion, others have made it as well. But logically speaking Afghanistan didn't start 7 months ago, it started 20 years ago and Biden happens to be the last say in the matter. I think Biden's awful performce wasn't helped by what went before him.

I have no more regard for those that fawn at Trump's every spoken word than I do those who hate his every spoken word. Cheney flipped her lid and accused Trump of inciting the Jan 6th clusterf*ck as if it was fact. A reasonable person would probably come to the conclusion that he could have used better judgement in planning his rally/protest/speech/whatever. Less than impressive.

I also don't believe he is fully aware of the mentality of those who worship his every word. If he is, then he incited the riot purposefully and no one can prove it by his stated words alone without a confession. That's how it works for everyone, including Trump. Her spazzing out cost her, not him.

My comment in reference to her flapping off at the mouth about Afghanistan, is it was unnecessary and only got her bad publicity on the right. She's grasping at straws to attack Trump.

As far as Afghanistan goes, lest anyone forget all the unwarranted publicity and credit Obama claimed, the military mission in Afghanistan ended when SEAL Team 6 took out bin Laden. As far as the military is concerned, mission accomplished, time to go home. Our leaving was not going to end any other way militarily.

Politically? FUBAR. THAT is on Biden. He inherited a bad hand. Life. He and/or his handlers wanted to be President and CinC and it isn't like there was no knowledge of the situation beforehand. All possible outcomes were not considered which is a cardinal sin for a military commander. Risk assessment. It's on every OpO.

If the Generals were incompetent, exit would have been screwed up. They left, went back, and left again without anyone knowing. That tells me the problem isn't at the military end. The military is following orders, agree with them or not.

So, Cheney's remark was not only unnecessary, it was incorrect. Better left unsaid.

fj1200
08-16-2021, 01:56 PM
I have no more regard for those that fawn at Trump's every spoken word than I do those who hate his every spoken word. Cheney flipped her lid and accused Trump of inciting the Jan 6th clusterf*ck as if it was fact. A reasonable person would probably come to the conclusion that he could have used better judgement in planning his rally/protest/speech/whatever. Less than impressive.

I also don't believe he is fully aware of the mentality of those who worship his every word. If he is, then he incited the riot purposefully and no one can prove it by his stated words alone without a confession. That's how it works for everyone, including Trump. Her spazzing out cost her, not him.

My comment in reference to her flapping off at the mouth about Afghanistan, is it was unnecessary and only got her bad publicity on the right. She's grasping at straws to attack Trump.

As far as Afghanistan goes, lest anyone forget all the unwarranted publicity and credit Obama claimed, the military mission in Afghanistan ended when SEAL Team 6 took out bin Laden. As far as the military is concerned, mission accomplished, time to go home. Our leaving was not going to end any other way militarily.

Politically? FUBAR. THAT is on Biden. He inherited a bad hand. Life. He and/or his handlers wanted to be President and CinC and it isn't like there was no knowledge of the situation beforehand. All possible outcomes were not considered which is a cardinal sin for a military commander. Risk assessment. It's on every OpO.

If the Generals were incompetent, exit would have been screwed up. They left, went back, and left again without anyone knowing. That tells me the problem isn't at the military end. The military is following orders, agree with them or not.

So, Cheney's remark was not only unnecessary, it was incorrect. Better left unsaid.

She was on TV and she was asked a question. She's well within her rights to have an opinion and I don't discount it. If she's right then it shouldn't just be ignored. I don't think Afg was going to end any other way once we decided to go in and do as we did. You could just as easily say we were wrong 20 years ago in the how as much as you can say trump shouldn't have legitimized the Taliban before he left.

January 6? She's constitutionally permitted to have an opinion and vote on impeachment. She'll suffer consequences for all of those decisions. Or she won't.

tailfins
08-16-2021, 02:26 PM
People who put their money where their mouth is think that she won't be re-elected:

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7103/Will-Liz-Cheney-win-the-2022-House-GOP-nomination-in-WY-AL

Gunny
08-16-2021, 02:59 PM
She was on TV and she was asked a question. She's well within her rights to have an opinion and I don't discount it. If she's right then it shouldn't just be ignored. I don't think Afg was going to end any other way once we decided to go in and do as we did. You could just as easily say we were wrong 20 years ago in the how as much as you can say trump shouldn't have legitimized the Taliban before he left.

January 6? She's constitutionally permitted to have an opinion and vote on impeachment. She'll suffer consequences for all of those decisions. Or she won't.Nothing I have said in is disagreement with what you are stating. Maybe some minor shit somewhere.

She is entitled to her opinions. Never said she wasn't. She's a public figure. She should know the score as well as you or I. Freedom of speech comes with the ownership of the words coming out of one's mouth. At no point did I dictate what she can and/or cannot say.

Gunny
08-16-2021, 03:03 PM
People who put their money where their mouth is think that she won't be re-elected:

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7103/Will-Liz-Cheney-win-the-2022-House-GOP-nomination-in-WY-ALI hope she is not. The GOP needs to get on the same sheet of music at least long enough to right the list. There's just been too many instance of rogue Republican Congresscritters screwing everyone on the right over.

fj1200
08-16-2021, 07:04 PM

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7103/Will-Liz-Cheney-win-the-2022-House-GOP-nomination-in-WY-AL

Not a brave bet against the conventional wisdom there. Depends more on what other R goes against her.

I hope she is not. The GOP needs to get on the same sheet of music at least long enough to right the list. There's just been too many instance of rogue Republican Congresscritters screwing everyone on the right over.

She should win. There's nothing not conservative about her.