PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst US President in history

09-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Id make it a poll, but there just arent enough spaces for everyone.

How do you think is the worst President in history? And i know there might be some tendencies to pick the recent ones. but there are more Presidents than within the past 30 years. If you honestly believe a recent President is the worst, fine, but lets try to look at this from a larger perspective.

retiredman
09-25-2007, 07:41 AM
my bottom three:

George W. Bush
Warren G. Harding
Ullyses S. Grant

dan
09-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Grant.

theHawk
09-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Hillary Clinton.

retiredman
09-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Hillary Clinton.

even though you are premature in your assessment of her presidency, I am pleased to see your apparent acceptance of the inevitability of it!

hjmick
09-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Harding or Carter.

KarlMarx
09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Carter

but if (Lord help us!) she becomes president, Carter will have to give up his crown

JackDaniels
09-25-2007, 09:49 AM
James Buchanan

truthmatters
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Bush 43 will hold the mantle for a very long time.

theHawk
09-25-2007, 10:23 AM
even though you are premature in your assessment of her presidency, I am pleased to see your apparent acceptance of the inevitability of it!

She was already pres for 8 years. We all know who wears the pants in that family, because B.J. certainly wasn't wearing his.

She could be the 2nd pres to serve 4 terms!

JackDaniels
09-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Bush 43 will hold the mantle for a very long time.

That shows a complete lack of knowledge of American history.

retiredman
09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
no it doesn't...it just shows that she has a different opinion than you do.

JackDaniels
09-25-2007, 10:34 AM
no it doesn't...it just shows that she has a different opinion than you do.

Yes, it does. Certain things have happened in history where we can say objectively that a certain person did a bad job as President.

James Buchanan
Warren Harding
Ulysses Grant

..and select others did a MUCH worse job. You're letting blind partisanship dictate objectivity.

Abbey Marie
09-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Jimmy Carter - for obvious reasons

William Henry Harrison - pretty ineffective! :laugh2:

truthmatters
09-25-2007, 11:15 AM
http://isen.com/blog/2004/05/415-historians-on-bush-ii-presidency.html

It seems historians agree with me.

jimnyc
09-25-2007, 11:31 AM

Only 12% of the historians in that article say they think Bush is the worst. Did you even read the article first? LOL

Furthermore, who are these historians? I don't see them named anywhere in the article.

truthmatters
09-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Only 12% of the historians in that article say they think Bush is the worst. Did you even read the article first? LOL

Furthermore, who are these historians? I don't see them named anywhere in the article.

This was done over three years ago, 12% of historians is enough to show that historians do agree with me.

I did not say all historians agree with me I historians agee with me.

jimnyc
09-25-2007, 11:40 AM
This was done over three years ago, 12% of historians is enough to show that historians do agree with me.

And it also means 88% disagree with you!

Sure, ANONYMOUS historians, made up for all we know. For some unknown reason you seem to believe anything your little search engine digs up. I'm not sure I would use someone's blog with anonymous sources to backup my claims/assertions. But hey, if it makes you feel better, more power to you!

truthmatters
09-25-2007, 11:44 AM
http://tinyurl.com/ye5ndx

This one is not anonymous.

They are pretty much in agreement he is failed president.

http://hnn.us/articles/5019.html

heres a link to the study

manu1959
09-25-2007, 11:46 AM

that would mean 88% don't......you lose

JackDaniels
09-25-2007, 11:50 AM

:lol: If you could actually read, you'd know that they do NOT agree with you :lol::lol::lol::lol:

88% of historians, according to your citation, disagree with you!

How uneducated are you?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

jimnyc
09-25-2007, 11:51 AM
http://tinyurl.com/ye5ndx

This one is not anonymous.

They are pretty much in agreement he is failed president.

Funny, I see one historians name listed there. Seems like nothing more than an op-ed article to me.

(http://hnn.us/articles/5019.html)http://hnn.us/articles/5019.html

heres a link to the study

This is the same as the article you posted in your post before this! And it's NOT a study as their are no sources or names, all anonymous.

Again, from that very article:

Twelve percent of all the historians who responded rate the current presidency the worst in all of American history

Even if it is a "study" - 88% disagree with you!

truthmatters
09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
that would mean 88% don't......you lose

Lose what?

I never said all historians agree with me.

I said it seems historians agree with me.

It was in response to jack daniels saying concidering Bush the worst showed a lack of historic knowledge.

Historians agree with me and they have more knowledge than he does.

I know you like to try an put words in peoples mouths but that does ot an honest arguement make.

jimnyc
09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I give up, it's a complete and utter waste of time to debate with someone who refuses to admit when they're wrong. TM, you are entitled to your beliefs. You can hate Bush and think he's the worst president ever from today until the end of time. Makes no difference to me. It's like a tape recorder saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

And even a tape recorder is wrong if the recording is incorrect.

hjmick
09-25-2007, 11:59 AM
It's too soon to judge the current one, but for past presidents, the verdict is in. U.S. News has averaged the results of five polls to make a gallery of the worst chief executives. The years before the Civil War produced an era of failure: Six of seven presidents who served from 1841 to 1861 made the list.

The 10 Worst Presidents (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/worstpresidents/)

truthmatters
09-25-2007, 12:19 PM
That shows a complete lack of knowledge of American history.

It was in response to this post.

I did not claim what you people want to say I claimed.

Why do you always build straw men arguements?

truthmatters
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
It's too soon to judge the current one, but for past presidents, the verdict is in. U.S. News has averaged the results of five polls to make a gallery of the worst chief executives. The years before the Civil War produced an era of failure: Six of seven presidents who served from 1841 to 1861 made the list.

The 10 Worst Presidents (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/worstpresidents/)

In your second link is a poll at the bottom. Go look at the results of the poll.

09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
wow what a surprise, people who lack the historical perspective and have knee jerk reactions.

historical perspective changes everything. maybe the President will be seen as the worst, but considering some of his competition, i doubt it.

James Buchanan is overwhelmingly the winner to me. The nation fell apart under him. I dont see that happening under Bush. Although I think we have conflict coming in a future administration.

hjmick
09-25-2007, 12:36 PM
In your second link is a poll at the bottom. Go look at the results of the poll.

I don't need to, I'll guarantee that Bush is at the top without even looking.

The truth is, he is far from the best we have ever had or will have, but I'm not convinced that he will ultimately be rated as the worst, but time will tell. There was a time when Reagan was called the worst, it took several years after he left office before the effects of his presidency and policies were appreciated in their historical context. While I don't see the same for our current president, one never knows.

JackDaniels
09-25-2007, 12:41 PM
It was in response to this post.

I did not claim what you people want to say I claimed.

Why do you always build straw men arguements?

How many people have to tell you that you are NOT a smart person before you will pick up a book?

truthmatters
09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
I believe he will be ranked worst.

5stringJeff
09-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Carter or Buchanan, although FDR gets an honorable mention for his worsening of the Great Depression, and Lincoln gets an honorable mention for trampling on the Constitution to win a war he started because he was losing tariff money.

Abbey Marie
09-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Joke. Any "Historian" who judges a President historically during his term, doesn't even know what it means to be a Historian.

GW in Ohio
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
George W. Bush is the worst president of all time.

When an aide whispered in his ear on 9/11 that the United States was under attack, he continued reading from "Tony Gets a Pony" (or whatever the fuck it was) to the 2nd graders for a full 6 minutes. That says volumes about his ability to deal with crises.

After 9/11, when the whole world was behind us, he frittered away all that good will by invading Iraq. This was the worst decision by an American president ever. We all know what a mess Iraq has turned into. And we know what a jackass Bush has been in his handling of it.

If you're a Republican, you should be angry that this moron has taken a situation where the GOP was in total control of the government and turned it into a rout.

This man should never have been raised above his level of competence. He should have been allowed to remain as governor of Texas.

manu1959
09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Yes, it does. Certain things have happened in history where we can say objectively that a certain person did a bad job as President.

James Buchanan
Warren Harding
Ulysses Grant

..and select others did a MUCH worse job. You're letting blind partisanship dictate objectivity.

spent the morning reading about presidents....you nailed the three worst...

April15
09-25-2007, 03:17 PM
I am not an historian, but Bush 43 gets my vote even over RR and Carter.

manu1959
09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
If you're a Republican, you should be angry that this moron has taken a situation where the GOP was in total control of the government and turned it into a rout.

a rout would be the dems are running the country and getting their way and moving their agenda forword......:laugh2:

manu1959
09-25-2007, 03:47 PM

just cuz i am curious, other than waging an unpopular war what did Bush 43 do ?

Gunny
09-25-2007, 04:19 PM

Better hope not. She'll be assassinated. You heard it hear first.

Gunny
09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Buchanan
Grant
Carter

JackDaniels
09-25-2007, 09:22 PM

You're right, you're obviously not a historian

JackDaniels
09-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Better hope not. She'll be assassinated. You heard it hear first.

If a Democrat said that about GWB, you'd be on the phone with the Secret Service right now.

April15
09-25-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't need to, I'll guarantee that Bush is at the top without even looking.

The truth is, he is far from the best we have ever had or will have, but I'm not convinced that he will ultimately be rated as the worst, but time will tell. There was a time when Reagan was called the worst, it took several years after he left office before the effects of his presidency and policies were appreciated in their historical context. While I don't see the same for our current president, one never knows.As time goes by and the falsehoods of his presidency and his govenership of California come to light Ronnie is looking worse all the time!

April15
09-25-2007, 09:46 PM

When an aide whispered in his ear on 9/11 that the United States was under attack, he continued reading from "Tony Gets a Pony" (or whatever the fuck it was) to the 2nd graders for a full 6 minutes. That says volumes about his ability to deal with crises.

After 9/11, when the whole world was behind us, he frittered away all that good will by invading Iraq. This was the worst decision by an American president ever. We all know what a mess Iraq has turned into. And we know what a jackass Bush has been in his handling of it.

This man should never have been raised above his level of competence. He should have been allowed to remain as governor of Texas.

Even Governor was above this looser's ability.

PostmodernProphet
09-26-2007, 05:40 AM
why has noone nominated Lyndon Johnson.......he gave us the escalation of the Vietnam war without taking the steps necessary to win it......he gave us the welfare state......he taught us how to lift dogs by their ears.......

Psychoblues
09-26-2007, 05:51 AM
gwb. No doubt about it.

dan
09-26-2007, 06:51 AM
Carter or Buchanan, although FDR gets an honorable mention for his worsening of the Great Depression, and Lincoln gets an honorable mention for trampling on the Constitution to win a war he started because he was losing tariff money.

Lincoln?! Really?? That's shocking.

Psychoblues
09-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Dan, you understand that you are speaking here with the very worst of American traditionalists, don't you?

Lincoln?! Really?? That's shocking.

Even the intimation that Abe Lincoln is somehow worthy of a "worst President" should tell you something about the intelligence and the attitude of the intimator. Some continue to embrace the old South, embrace slavery and would enslave you in moment if only they could. Such is the nature of the so called free marketers. You are only a very small property in their overwhelming game of Monopoly.

dan
09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Ah, that's not fair, though. Jeff's easily one of the most levelheaded posters, I'm just surprised is all.

5stringJeff
09-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Even the intimation that Abe Lincoln is somehow worthy of a "worst President" should tell you something about the intelligence and the attitude of the intimator. Some continue to embrace the old South, embrace slavery and would enslave you in moment if only they could. Such is the nature of the so called free marketers. You are only a very small property in their overwhelming game of Monopoly.

So now I'm ready to enslave people? That's a leap.

5stringJeff
09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Ah, that's not fair, though. Jeff's easily one of the most levelheaded posters, I'm just surprised is all.

To be fair, Lincoln had a vision - a united America. And he did what he needed to do to accomplish taht vision. It just so happens that he played fast and loose with the Constitution to do so, which is why he gets low grades from me. It's the same reason I don't like McCain - his government regulation of political speech is a complete travesty, because it ignores freedom of speech, a very basic constitutional right.

truthmatters
09-26-2007, 12:05 PM
How many people have to tell you that you are NOT a smart person before you will pick up a book?

What is with you?

You claim intellectual superiority over people and then refuse to believe others with more knowledge than you agree with our point of view.

I just will never understand the infantile chest puffing so many do while on the internet.

Bush has damaged our country for years to come.

He has Lied us into a war which has harmed this country and shed the blood of our bravest and thrown billions of dollars of our treasure to the wind. Bush has politicised every inch of our government within his reach. He has gone against our constitution and tortured and detained people as well as spied illegally on the American people under false pretense. Our economy is taking a dive and there are more Americans who are now poor and without proper healthcare. Bush has stood by on done nothing while Americans were dying in our own countrys disaster of Katrina. His admin has ignored the infrastucture of this country while it crumbles and refused to face the needs of this country while shipping pallets of hundered dollar bills into the void in Iraq.

There will come a day when you will understand why so many Americans dont feel very proud to have him president. Libertarians must realise the country does not want a country fashioned after their beliefs and that is just fact.
You see the country through your libertarian glasses and so see the presidents through them too. You are a minority of thought in this country.

Bush will be recorded in history as one of the worst and I think will take the mantle.

Its my opinion and is just as valid as yours.

April15
09-26-2007, 01:22 PM
why has noone nominated Lyndon Johnson.......he gave us the escalation of the Vietnam war without taking the steps necessary to win it......he gave us the welfare state......he taught us how to lift dogs by their ears.......I guess he was so inconsequential that he is simply forgotten.

truthmatters
09-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Johnson was a scum bag but he did do some good things for our society.

Not the worst and not the best.

JackDaniels
09-26-2007, 08:10 PM
What is with you?

You claim intellectual superiority over people and then refuse to believe others with more knowledge than you agree with our point of view.

I just will never understand the infantile chest puffing so many do while on the internet.

Bush has damaged our country for years to come.

He has Lied us into a war which has harmed this country and shed the blood of our bravest and thrown billions of dollars of our treasure to the wind. Bush has politicised every inch of our government within his reach. He has gone against our constitution and tortured and detained people as well as spied illegally on the American people under false pretense. Our economy is taking a dive and there are more Americans who are now poor and without proper healthcare. Bush has stood by on done nothing while Americans were dying in our own countrys disaster of Katrina. His admin has ignored the infrastucture of this country while it crumbles and refused to face the needs of this country while shipping pallets of hundered dollar bills into the void in Iraq.

There will come a day when you will understand why so many Americans dont feel very proud to have him president. Libertarians must realise the country does not want a country fashioned after their beliefs and that is just fact.
You see the country through your libertarian glasses and so see the presidents through them too. You are a minority of thought in this country.

Bush will be recorded in history as one of the worst and I think will take the mantle.

Its my opinion and is just as valid as yours.

NOTHING you have posted comes even CLOSE to making Bush the single worst President in our history.

You show that you are either (1) a liar (2) know nothing about libertarianism (3) nothing about our political process...to make the claims you do about libertarianism.

Hugh Lincoln
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
No mention of FDR? He pretty much wiped his arse with the Constitution (skipped parts of the thread... maybe he's mentioned.) Today, the fact that we have unlimited fedgov is attributable in large measure to him.

Bush sucks. His presidency has been a complete disaster from the standpoint of conservative principles. I don't know if that makes him objectively the worst, but he's gotta rank down there.

Dilloduck
09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Id make it a poll, but there just arent enough spaces for everyone.

How do you think is the worst President in history? And i know there might be some tendencies to pick the recent ones. but there are more Presidents than within the past 30 years. If you honestly believe a recent President is the worst, fine, but lets try to look at this from a larger perspective.

Do you mean worse morally or emotionally ?

Psychoblues
09-27-2007, 11:20 PM
It's a major part of the Republican political ideology.

So now I'm ready to enslave people? That's a leap.

Sorry Jeff, I just for a moment thought you were one of those?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?

Trigg
09-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I vote:

Nixon

Trigg
09-28-2007, 12:12 PM

Worse than Vietnam????? How exactly is it worse than that?????

Before you get your undies in to much of a bunch I don't agree with us being in Iraq. I just don't agree with it being the worse decision, there is a whole lot of history to ignor to reach that conclusion.

I find it amusing that the libs on the board can't find anyone else to vote for except Bush, what NO other presidents made mistakes?????? Talk about close minded sheep.

April15
09-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Worse than Vietnam????? How exactly is it worse than that?????

Before you get your undies in to much of a bunch I don't agree with us being in Iraq. I just don't agree with it being the worse decision, there is a whole lot of history to ignor to reach that conclusion.

I find it amusing that the libs on the board can't find anyone else to vote for except Bush, what NO other presidents made mistakes?????? Talk about close minded sheep.Well to me Bush is the most outstanding choice as he is currently making the impression of incompetence as opposed to someone in history who may have been incompetent. Current events usually take precedence in conversation to historical events. Now my second choice is another republican RR. I hope my choices doesn't cause you anguish. It is just a discussion.

Trigg
09-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Well to me Bush is the most outstanding choice as he is currently making the impression of incompetence as opposed to someone in history who may have been incompetent. Current events usually take precedence in conversation to historical events. Now my second choice is another republican RR. I hope my choices doesn't cause you anguish. It is just a discussion.

Anguish?? I just find humor in the fact that the libs on this board are always calling the conservatives sheep and yet none have mentioned a president other than Bush.

Since the thread is "Who is the worst president in history" who is your other choice??

Mine are Kennedy and Lyndon B Johnson - Vietnam

Van Buren- Trail of tears

5stringJeff
09-29-2007, 01:13 PM
It's a major part of the Republican political ideology.

:rolleyes:

April15
09-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Anguish?? I just find humor in the fact that the libs on this board are always calling the conservatives sheep and yet none have mentioned a president other than Bush.

Since the thread is "Who is the worst president in history" who is your other choice??

Mine are Kennedy and Lyndon B Johnson - Vietnam

Van Buren- Trail of tearsIn truth I am not an historian so have no valid opinion. I do like to use Bush as it gets a rise out of people and gets the boards moving.

Nukeman
09-29-2007, 08:24 PM
In truth I am not an historian so have no valid opinion. I do like to use Bush as it gets a rise out of people and gets the boards moving.
But its tiresome and gets old very quickly. I think this is the point Trigg is making. The Libs on this board only see the "bad" Bush has done but they dont take the time to research just a little to see what a number of our past presidents have done.

We have to keep in mind the president is only a humanbeing with all the faults that go with it. they are not all seeing or all knowing they have to rely on what their advisors and staff tell them and in most instances act upon questionable data that you and I will never be privy to.

REDWHITEBLUE2
09-30-2007, 01:24 PM
PEANUT HEAD hands down

April15
09-30-2007, 05:18 PM
But its tiresome and gets old very quickly. I think this is the point Trigg is making. The Libs on this board only see the "bad" Bush has done but they dont take the time to research just a little to see what a number of our past presidents have done.

We have to keep in mind the president is only a humanbeing with all the faults that go with it. they are not all seeing or all knowing they have to rely on what their advisors and staff tell them and in most instances act upon questionable data that you and I will never be privy to.Speaking of advisers, did you know what Bush's advisers said in 1991? For that matter what Cheney said in 1991?
I have lived through kennedy and tricky dick. I even voted for the Nixon. I even have my WIN button. Remember Whip Inflation Now? Carter got handed shit and didn't know what to do with it but pass it on. Ronnie made treaties before he was even elected and then went on to break even more laws of the land to support a regime in south America and supply Saddam with training and weapons to fight Iran.
Johnson was a simple man who got shoved into a position he was not qualified to be in. Then he was lied to by MacNamara about the war and Westmoreland wasn't very truthful.
Outside of RR and Bush2 none of the presidents in my life wanted war or to break the law. All of the presidents from Washington until Nixon only wanted to carry out the oath of office. That some may have failed to be effective leaders is natural in the course of human events. But to have purposely misrepresent themself only one has done that. The one the libs complain about inccesently.

TheyLive
09-30-2007, 07:34 PM
It's hard to trump the president that single-handedly transformed the US into the biggest threat to world peace (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5077984.stm).

5stringJeff
09-30-2007, 10:18 PM
It's hard to trump the president that single-handedly transformed the US into the biggest threat to world peace (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5077984.stm).

Only in the opinions of Europeans, who don't vote for the American President.

TheyLive
09-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Only in the opinions of Europeans, who don't vote for the American President.

Right, because who needs allies anyway? It's not like we're at war or anything.

dan
10-01-2007, 11:43 AM

I said Grant.

April15
10-01-2007, 04:44 PM
It's hard to trump the president that single-handedly transformed the US into the biggest threat to world peace (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5077984.stm).You do have a point!