PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Cop To Go To Trial For Parkland Shooting Response

Gunny
08-22-2021, 11:53 AM
What I don't see is if this "school resources officer" (aka school cop) was armed. Regardless, he could have done something besides nothing. His entire defense sounds like nothing more than trying to say "it's not my job". I would counter with what does he think he's being paid for? Occupy space and waste oxygen?

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 7:09 PM PT – Saturday, August 21, 2021The school resource officer accused of hiding during the Parkland school shooting has been faced with child negligence charges after allegedly not protecting students. A judge ruled on Thursday, former Broward County Deputy Scot Peterson would have to convince a jury his actions were not criminally negligent.
Prosecutors have accused the deputy of failing to come to the rescue as Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz made his way through the hallways. They argued school resource officers were not the same as law enforcement as they could be considered caregivers.

However, the lawyer representing the deputy, Mark Eiglarsh, fired back at charges brought against his client.
“As a matter of law, he should never have been charged under a child neglect statute, which holds responsible parents, teachers, kidnappers, babysitters, but not school resource officers,” stated Eiglarsh.
The deputy has defended himself by saying he did the best he could with the information available at the time and never would’ve sat inactive if he had known people were being shot. “This will haunt me the rest of my life,” said Peterson. “You know, those were my kids and that’s why it hurts the way it does.”
Reports said Peterson was forced to resign and was blamed for reportedly not going inside the building when the shooting occurred. The devastating event took the lives of 17 individuals and left another 17 wounded.
The shooter, Cruz, faces 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder. If convicted, he faces a death sentence. However, a trial date has not yet been set.

https://www.oann.com/fla-cop-to-go-to-trial-for-parkland-shooting-response/

Kathianne
08-22-2021, 12:02 PM
He was armed.

Gunny
08-22-2021, 01:34 PM
He was armed.Coward. Armed and doing nothing while children are murdered. Add "scum" to that.

Kathianne
08-22-2021, 01:54 PM
Coward. Armed and doing nothing while children are murdered. Add "scum" to that.

I saw his lawyer claimed they charged him to make an example of him. I sure hope so.if

Gunny
08-22-2021, 02:08 PM
I saw his lawyer claimed they charged him to make an example of him. I sure hope so.ifI completely agree. One thing I hate worse than children being harmed is someone doing nothing about it. Like our current Administration in Afghanistan. Contemptible.

And no, I'm not reasonable on the topic. There's just no excuse. What good is all that power and ability if you're just going to watch? You've let the people down who are depending on you the most: the children and the parents who are relying on you for their safekeeping.

He's lucky I'm not the DA. I'd be trying to find anything I could to find him culpable. In my "World", the penalty for cowardice under fire is death.