PDA

View Full Version : GM on strike

Mr. P
09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
On strike for 'job security' among other things.

Job security? Yer on strike, not at work, not producing a GOOD product, while ASIA runs all over yer ass, and you want JOB SECURITY? Are these UNION MORONS THAT STUPID? Yep!

Trigg
09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Not to stupid. They're getting paid while on strike and even their food is paid for while they walk the picket line.

Does anyone else here wonder why new cars are so expensive??

TheyLive
09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
I see attitudes towards our fellow American worker have certainly changed over the years.

I don't know a lot about the GM/UAW situation, but I would presume that some of the people working there do. Far be it for me to assume that I know better than they on how to preserve some semblance of a pension after giving that much of their life to their employer...

Trigg
09-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I see attitudes towards our fellow American worker have certainly changed over the years.

I don't know a lot about the GM/UAW situation, but I would presume that some of the people working there do. Far be it for me to assume that I know better than they on how to preserve some semblance of a pension after giving that much of their life to their employer...

Hourly workers at GM currently have no deductibles and pay no monthly premiums but do have nominal co-payment charges. Overall, they pay about 7 percent of their health care costs; the national average is about 34 percent.

Sorry, but this is unrealistic. This is why new cars are so expensive and why the BIG 3 are loosing out to foreign made vehicles.

The argument right now is about healthcare benefits not pension.

TheyLive
09-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Sorry, but this is unrealistic. This is why new cars are so expensive and why the BIG 3 are loosing out to foreign made vehicles.

The argument right now is about healthcare benefits not pension.

Since the first sentence of the article you quote in the Washington Post says

The United Auto Workers union sought court approval yesterday for its tentative agreement with General Motors Corp. to cut health care benefits for employees, retirees and their families.

you are apparently in agreement with the UAW already.

Trigg
09-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Since the first sentence of the article you quote in the Washington Post says

you are apparently in agreement with the UAW already.

I don't agree with the UAW, but at least they are negotiating with GM on this issue.

Yurt
09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
On strike for 'job security' among other things.

Job security? Yer on strike, not at work, not producing a GOOD product, while ASIA runs all over yer ass, and you want JOB SECURITY? Are these UNION MORONS THAT STUPID? Yep!

Great points. It is amazing how some americans workers complain about the workers in asia that supposedly cause them to lose their jobs. I suppose the workers in asia or some other country are most likely scratching their heads at why in the H E double hockeysticks would these people willingly boycott their job when their pay is probably quadruple (living standard included) than theirs. I am all for higher wages etc, as long as the market provides it. A false wage ultimately will produce a false living standard.

In my experience, unions are thugs and IMO are in violation of many "free" rights issues and anti trust.