PDA

View Full Version : How much Cash is too much to have?

-Cp
09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I can't say I agree with the troopers actions here...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_WA_Too_Fast_Money.html

Abbey Marie
09-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I can see no valid reason for confiscating the cash.

-Cp
09-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I can see no valid reason for confiscating the cash.

Exactly....

Hagbard Celine
09-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Yet another example of the government sticking it's boney, freedom-sucking fingers into innocent people's lives.

5stringJeff
09-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Yup. No way they should confiscate cash without due process.

Kathianne
09-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Gee, I've been beside myself for two days with more than a thousand in cash. Thank G the ATM took it tonight. Sigh.

Hugh Lincoln
09-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Damn. I want to agree here. But 270 THOUSAND in cash? That's just not normal. That's highly suggestive of drug activity... or even terrorist activity. Legitimate people do not carry that much cash or anything close to it. I don't know. They're obligated to poke around a little. Of course return it if a few leads turn up nothing.

It's close, but I'm going to have side with the piggies here.

Kathianne
09-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Damn. I want to agree here. But 270 THOUSAND in cash? That's just not normal. That's highly suggestive of drug activity... or even terrorist activity. Legitimate people do not carry that much cash or anything close to it. I don't know. They're obligated to poke around a little. Of course return it if a few leads turn up nothing.

Agreed. Personally whenever I'm withdrawing more than $500. I ask for a money order/check. I was caught with over a thousand because of a club, and I asked the office for a check, they said not possible.

-Cp
09-26-2007, 09:29 PM

Sorry.. .I cannot agree - there are NO laws against carrying around ANY amount of Cash....

This story pisses me off to a HUGE degree as the Government CANNOT ASSUME you're GUILTY of ANYTHING without just cause.... They had ZERO cause in this ... In fact, the orignal crime of speeding - the guy was let go at the scene w/o a ticket...

5stringJeff
09-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Sorry.. .I cannot agree - there are NO laws against carrying around ANY amount of Cash....

This story pisses me off to a HUGE degree as the Government CANNOT ASSUME you're GUILTY of ANYTHING without just cause.... They had ZERO cause in this ... In fact, the orignal crime of speeding - the guy was let go at the scene w/o a ticket...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hugh Lincoln
09-27-2007, 09:11 PM

I hear you, I hear you. Believe me, you will not find this far-right asshole siding with the government and the cops every time. But I gotta stick to my guns here. Yes, no laws against that amount of cash. But there are also no laws against avoiding eye contact with the police, driving slowly through a drug-dealing section of town, or getting nervous while being questioned at the airport. But they can provide probable cause for a police officer to investigate further or briefly detain.

In the law we have a phrase, "prima facie." It means "on its face," as in, you just look at the damn thing and you can tell. More than a quarter million in cash on anyone is "prima facie." I don't think there are too many judges who would suppress any evidence related to a detention of that amount of cash.

Mr. P
09-27-2007, 09:20 PM
All due to the failed/ing "WAR ON DRUGS" . That is the source of this BS.