PDA

View Full Version : Herschel Walker talks Senate run with Clay Travis

Gunny
09-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Good opening statement, anyway. That and he's going after a Dem's seat. I've always like Walker. He has always appeared to be a class act. Even played for the Cowboys and didn't get involved in any off-fiend controversy over his behavior. Of course that was before Jerry Jones.

Outkick founder Clay Travis (https://www.foxnews.com/media/clay-travis-bus-tour-outkick-friends-college-football) kicked off his college football bus tour (https://www.foxnews.com/media/clay-travis-outkick-bus-tour-georgia-clemson) with Herschel Walker (https://www.foxnews.com/category/person/herschel-walker) Saturday, sitting down with the former athlete at the Georgia-Clemson game in Charlotte ahead of his run for a U.S. Senate seat (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hershel-walker-running-for-u-s-senate).
Walker, a Heisman Trophy recipient, told Travis on "Fox & Friends Weekend (https://www.foxnews.com/category/shows/fox-friends-weekend)" it’s been "very interesting" since announcing his bid to become a Georgia senator (https://www.foxnews.com/category/politics/senate).
"I have the left, and even the right, coming at me sometimes," Walker said. "Right now, I don't like what's going on in this country."

If elected, Walker would unseat Democratic (https://www.foxnews.com/category/politics/senate/democrats) Sen. Raphael Warnock (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/raphael-warnock-georgia-senate-candidate) in 2022.

"I see so many things that I disagree with, that's not the American dream I grew up around, not an American dream that I want to be in this country," Walker said. "So I'm going to fight."
Travis said he’s noticed an "anti-American" sentiment in sports culture but feels that tone could change this season.
"I was at the Tennessee game against Bowling Green," Travis said, "people just started spontaneously chanting, 'U-S-A!' I think we're seeing a blowback in the other direction where people are ready to embrace America and embrace the excellence that this country represents."
Many universities increased stadium capacities (https://www.foxnews.com/sports/from-burgers-to-ballgames-sec-fans-aiming-for-normalcy.amp) this year, reversing many of last season's attendance limits due to COVID concerns.
"I'm not sure any sport lives off of the enthusiasm of its fans better than college football. It just brings a different element," Travis said.

cont. https://www.foxnews.com/media/herschel-walker-clay-travis-outkick-bus-tour-georgia-clemson-game The rest is mostly about sports.

fj1200
09-04-2021, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure he should really be in the race.

SassyLady
09-04-2021, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure he should really be in the race.
Why?

fj1200
09-04-2021, 02:07 PM
Why?

It's not, or shouldn't be, a popularity contest. What's his campaign type experience? How does he do in a debate? What are his views? What is his temperament? What does he think about foreign policy? Tax policy? etc.?????? So many questions and more chance to lose when you're a rookie.

SassyLady
09-04-2021, 02:17 PM
It's not, or shouldn't be, a popularity contest. What's his campaign type experience? How does he do in a debate? What are his views? What is his temperament? What does he think about foreign policy? Tax policy? etc.?????? So many questions and more chance to lose when you're a rookie.
And how will anyone know this until he gets in the race. Your dismissal of him because he's a rookie says volumes about your outlook on politicians.. apparently you prefer career politicians.

Or better yet .. who do you think should be running?

fj1200
09-04-2021, 02:29 PM
And how will anyone know this until he gets in the race. Your dismissal of him because he's a rookie says volumes about your outlook on politicians.. apparently you prefer career politicians.

Or better yet .. who do you think should be running?

I love it how some folks try to infer their own opinions of me based on what I do or do not specifically say. :rolleyes:

People would know what he thinks because he would have expressed opinions over time as in not being a blank slate. I prefer people who know what they believe and why and are able to explain themselves adequately over the course of a campaign. Kelly Loeffler was pulled from nowherer, needed to learn on the job, and ultimately ran an awful campaign giving us Warnock in the first place. There are other people who are running who've been through the campaign a time or two.

SassyLady
09-04-2021, 02:32 PM
I love it how some folks try to infer their own opinions of me based on what I do or do not specifically say. :rolleyes:

People would know what he thinks because he would have expressed opinions over time as in not being a blank slate. I prefer people who know what they believe and why and are able to explain themselves adequately over the course of a campaign. Kelly Loeffler was pulled from nowherer, needed to learn on the job, and ultimately ran an awful campaign giving us Warnock in the first place. There are other people who are running who've been through the campaign a time or two.

Again .. with all your knowledge of people who have expressed their views previously to making decision to get in politics who do you recommend rather than Herschel?

fj1200
09-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Again .. with all your knowledge of people who have expressed their views previously to making decision to get in politics who do you recommend rather than Herschel?

Don't know 'em all. But hopefully someone who is conservative and be able to win. Plenty of representatives who've won elections and Gary Black who has already won statewide elections. We'll see how it works out but I think Walker doesn't have much beyond name recognition at this point.

SassyLady
09-04-2021, 03:36 PM
Don't know 'em all. But hopefully someone who is conservative and be able to win. Plenty of representatives who've won elections and Gary Black who has already won statewide elections. We'll see how it works out but I think Walker doesn't have much beyond name recognition at this point.

Fair enough. So Gary Black is your choice at this time? Why? Other than he's already a politician.

What's his campaign type experience? How does he do in a debate? What are his views? What is his temperament? What does he think about foreign policy? Tax policy? etc.?

fj1200
09-04-2021, 03:59 PM
^ I didn't say he was my choice. I listed him and mentioned other representatives that have won elections. He's the only won to win state wide election.

Gunny
09-04-2021, 04:17 PM
I'm not seeing a legit reason to write off Hershel Walker. Because he's a rookie? So is every other politician first time out of the chute. The few things I've heard from him recently are positive, IMO.

He's not campaigning yet. I'm sure if he's got a dirt sheet, the MSM will be right on top of it.

I wouldn't vote for him just because he's Hershel Walker. But I'll at least hear him out before endorsing or writing him off.

fj1200
09-04-2021, 04:20 PM
^He may surprise but rookies generally don't start aiming at the Senate their first time out. IIRC correctly there's been plenty of rookies who've muffed golden opportunities that have cost Republicans control of the Senate in the past. CO and IN stick in my mind. The media is far less strict on Dem rookies than Rep rookies.

SassyLady
09-04-2021, 04:22 PM
^ I didn't say he was my choice. I listed him and mentioned other representatives that have won elections. He's the only won to win state wide election.

OK ... he's not your choice. Who is?

fj1200
09-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Ask me in a year. Better yet come primary day.

SassyLady
09-04-2021, 04:43 PM

Got it!

Who knows ... you might even endorse Walker at that time.

fj1200
09-04-2021, 04:46 PM
Got it!

Who knows ... you might even endorse Walker at that time.

^He may surprise...

And he might even move to Georgia.

SassyLady
09-04-2021, 05:15 PM
And he might even move to Georgia.

I believe he owns property there already. Buckhead district in Atlanta. I think he moved there before announcung his run.

Russ
09-04-2021, 08:36 PM

FJ, plenty of times you make very good points, and then there are times like this where you refuse to make a clear and concise point even when asked a direct question. Sassy wins this round, I have to say.

Gunny
09-05-2021, 12:33 PM
^He may surprise but rookies generally don't start aiming at the Senate their first time out. IIRC correctly there's been plenty of rookies who've muffed golden opportunities that have cost Republicans control of the Senate in the past. CO and IN stick in my mind. The media is far less strict on Dem rookies than Rep rookies.Then too, there are those "seasoned veterans" like Collins and Romney. They may as well be on the Dem payroll.

My family in GA/AL has moved or died off so I really pay only cursory attention to politics there. My memories are summertimes when I was a kid :)

JakeStarkey
09-05-2021, 03:34 PM
Walker's candidacy will be interesting.

fj1200
09-06-2021, 09:06 AM
FJ, plenty of times you make very good points, and then there are times like this where you refuse to make a clear and concise point even when asked a direct question. Sassy wins this round, I have to say.

What's there to win here? Walker is an unproven commodity and I'm paying little attention in the way-to-early-to-talk-about-it run for a Senate election 14 months away. And the only reason he's in the race is because trump blathered is name around and I'd rather not have him screw over our state again. Warnock for two years is bad enough; Warnock for 8 years is going to be worse.

Then too, there are those "seasoned veterans" like Collins and Romney. They may as well be on the Dem payroll.

My family in GA/AL has moved or died off so I really pay only cursory attention to politics there. My memories are summertimes when I was a kid :)

It's not the best batch of candidates so far IMO. No names really stand out.

fj1200
09-06-2021, 09:07 AM
Walker's candidacy will be interesting.

I wouldn't take the over that he's still in come primary day but then again I would have lost the same bet that he'd be in the race in the first place.

SassyLady
09-06-2021, 12:39 PM
What's there to win here? Walker is an unproven commodity and I'm paying little attention in the way-to-early-to-talk-about-it run for a Senate election 14 months away. And the only reason he's in the race is because trump blathered is name around and I'd rather not have him screw over our state again. Warnock for two years is bad enough; Warnock for 8 years is going to be worse.

It's not the best batch of candidates so far IMO. No names really stand out.

Obviously you are paying attention to have such a strong opinion about Walker. And, not paying attention early is how idiots get elected.

fj1200
09-06-2021, 01:16 PM
Obviously you are paying attention to have such a strong opinion about Walker. And, not paying attention early is how idiots get elected.

My strong opinion is that he has no experience and barely lives in GA. The current idiots I place at trump's feet and to a lesser extent Kemp's and not vetting Loeffler a bit more thoroughly. She needed a better campaign manager.

SassyLady
09-06-2021, 07:38 PM
My strong opinion is that he has no experience and barely lives in GA. The current idiots I place at trump's feet and to a lesser extent Kemp's and not vetting Loeffler a bit more thoroughly. She needed a better campaign manager.
He grew up in GA.

fj1200
09-07-2021, 12:03 PM
He grew up in GA.

:0 No Way!!! I wonder where he went to college.

SassyLady
09-07-2021, 12:17 PM
:0 No Way!!! I wonder where he went to college.
Them why are you worried about how long he has lived in GA?

fj1200
09-07-2021, 12:22 PM
Them why are you worried about how long he has lived in GA?

I'm worried about people who don't live, and people who barely live, in GA screwing up another election.

SassyLady
09-07-2021, 12:29 PM
I'm worried about people who don't live, and people who barely live, in GA screwing up another election.
Seems like your more worried about dissing someone than finding a candidate that appeals to you and educating us on their qualities.

Is always easier to diss opponents than support your choice.

I get it. You don't like Hershel for a myriad of reasons. No need to continue with your concerns. I totally understand.

Looking forward to hearing about the person you choose to support.

fj1200
09-07-2021, 12:58 PM
^This is a thread about Herschel Walker. :unsure:

SassyLady
09-07-2021, 01:03 PM
^This is a thread about Herschel Walker. :unsure:

Then start a new one. It's really not that hard to do fj. Be bold!

fj1200
09-07-2021, 01:05 PM
^It's almost too easy. ;)

MtnBiker
09-07-2021, 01:39 PM
What experience does one need to be a candidate for Senator?

Some new Senators in 2020;
Tommy Tuberville
Mark Kelly
Jon Ossoff
Raphael Warnock

They some how had the qualified experience?

Herschel Walker has operated a success business for many years, that has operations in 3 different states and distribution in many others. It would be reasonable to believe he has some experience.

fj1200
09-07-2021, 01:55 PM
^I'm not sure those are poster boys for "qualified" senators but they are all constitutionally qualified.

The Constitution sets three qualifications for service in the U.S. Senate: age (at least thirty years of age); U.S. citizenship (at least nine years); and residency in the state a senator represents at time of election.

We'll see how he does.

Russ
09-07-2021, 08:16 PM
^I'm not sure those are poster boys for "qualified" senators but they are all constitutionally qualified.

We'll see how he does.

I think MB is making the point that we have people elected to the Senate all the time that don't have experience in politics. Why complain only now, about Herschel Walker?

I saw that CNN had an article today entitled something like "Herschel Walker has done exactly nothing so far in his Senate campaign". I didn't read the article, but I will bet the house that CNN did not have a similar article last year about how "Joe Biden has done exactly nothing so far in his Presidential campaign". Even though if Hershel has left his basement then he has done more than Joe ever did last year.

SassyLady
09-07-2021, 08:34 PM

We'll see how he does.

What? You don't like Mark Kelly?

fj1200
09-07-2021, 09:34 PM
I think MB is making the point that we have people elected to the Senate all the time that don't have experience in politics. Why complain only now, about Herschel Walker?

I wasn't a fan of it for them either especially the last 2 on the list.

What? You don't like Mark Kelly?

I guess I'm hoping for a bit more from someone being a Senator. I am the one hoping to repeal the 17th Amendment because Senators are supposed to represent the state legislatures in DC.

fj1200
10-04-2022, 08:06 PM
Hmmm, Herschel Walker. Herschel, Herschel, Herschel... Just can't have a guy that sits in his basement waiting it out... Thank goodness he's not a seasoned politician that's been through state wide elections...

Black Diamond
10-05-2022, 11:58 PM

fj1200
10-06-2022, 07:12 AM
Why was Walker for Senate EVER a good idea?

“He decided to give us the middle finger and air out all of his dirty laundry in public, while simultaneously lying about it,” Christian Walker added in a series of tweets.

SassyLady
10-06-2022, 10:05 AM
Because they thought anyone other than Warnock would be better. Kinda like the Dems and Biden

Gunny
10-06-2022, 11:46 AM
Why was Walker for Senate EVER a good idea?That question leads only to a slippery slope full of questions and few answers. The same question keeps coming up with almost any Republican candidate you care to name.

You keep pinning your hopes on a political process that looks good on paper but is broken down in reality.

Walker's denied the accusation. He's lying or not and we can rest assured the left will leave no stone unturned. If he's lying he's done. Unlike a Dem candidate, done with both left and right.

fj1200
10-06-2022, 01:37 PM
Because they thought anyone other than Warnock would be better. Kinda like the Dems and Biden

That would explain the "Not Warnock" for Senate campaign but doesn't explain the Walker for Senate campaign.

fj1200
10-06-2022, 01:45 PM
That question leads only to a slippery slope full of questions and few answers. The same question keeps coming up with almost any Republican candidate you care to name.

You keep pinning your hopes on a political process that looks good on paper but is broken down in reality.

Walker's denied the accusation. He's lying or not and we can rest assured the left will leave no stone unturned. If he's lying he's done. Unlike a Dem candidate, done with both left and right.

Even without the accusation he's loaded down with baggage. Considering he took the biden-in-his-basement path the winning the primary it should have been obvious he'd be severely tested in the general and it looks like his family is not surprised. Without this he may have squeaked in but with this there may be thousands that won't necessarily change their vote but may just abstain from the Senate race this time around. Warnock is a bit of "hey, vote for me" but probably more "hey, you really don't wanna vote for that guy do you?"

But we should look and see which part of the process is broken down. This should have been almost a cake-walk for just about any other candidate but it wasn't because someone is mad.

Black Diamond
10-06-2022, 03:12 PM
For some reason I think he's lying.

Black Diamond
10-06-2022, 03:21 PM

No and neither was Oz. Regardless of the election results

fj1200
10-06-2022, 04:27 PM
For some reason I think he's lying.

Walker? He's getting shredded by ads where he's stretching the truth in old videos. Those and videos of his wife talking about him "holding a gun to her head," etc.

Black Diamond
10-06-2022, 04:48 PM
Walker? He's getting shredded by ads where he's stretching the truth in old videos. Those and videos of his wife talking about him "holding a gun to her head," etc.

What I mean is I think he paid for someone's abortion

Gunny
10-06-2022, 04:52 PM
Even without the accusation he's loaded down with baggage. Considering he took the biden-in-his-basement path the winning the primary it should have been obvious he'd be severely tested in the general and it looks like his family is not surprised. Without this he may have squeaked in but with this there may be thousands that won't necessarily change their vote but may just abstain from the Senate race this time around. Warnock is a bit of "hey, vote for me" but probably more "hey, you really don't wanna vote for that guy do you?"

But we should look and see which part of the process is broken down. This should have been almost a cake-walk for just about any other candidate but it wasn't because someone is mad.

The part of the process that is broken down is the part that is supposed to take care of itself. The people that thought up this wonderful, self-policing process are long gone and none of the current fools know a damned thing about it.

It is mind-boggling to me that the GOP and its constituents can keep doing the same stupid shit, election after election, decade after decade, and can't get a fukkin clue.

Where's the RNC? What exactly is it they do? They're supposed to be overseeing this bullshit and I haven't head a damned consequential word from it since at least the 80s, if then.

A year ago this was unfuckwithable. The Dems haven't done anything to win. The Republican't's have done everything to lose.

I want Ukraine to win its war so I can move there. I prefer Eastern Europe to the shithole this place has become.

Black Diamond
10-06-2022, 05:10 PM
The part of the process that is broken down is the part that is supposed to take care of itself. The people that thought up this wonderful, self-policing process are long gone and none of the current fools know a damned thing about it.

It is mind-boggling to me that the GOP and its constituents can keep doing the same stupid shit, election after election, decade after decade, and can't get a fukkin clue.

Where's the RNC? What exactly is it they do? They're supposed to be overseeing this bullshit and I haven't head a damned consequential word from it since at least the 80s, if then.

A year ago this was unfuckwithable. The Dems haven't done anything to win. The Republican't's have done everything to lose.

I want Ukraine to win its war so I can move there. I prefer Eastern Europe to the shithole this place has become.
You probably would. It's not a woke society at all, which is why I don't understand the lefts love for Ukraine and zelensky.

Gunny
10-06-2022, 05:14 PM
You probably would. It's not a woke society at all, which is why I don't understand the lefts love for Ukraine and zelensky.I've lived there before. I didn't just pull that idea out of my backside :)

You are correct. It's nothing like Sodom and Gomorra West :rolleyes:

Kathianne
10-06-2022, 06:49 PM

There's Walker, whose own son is now out of his campaign: https://hotair.com/karen-townsend/2022/10/06/another-shoe-just-dropped-in-herschel-walkers-october-surprise-saga-n501441

Oz, who someone already mentioned.

The whack job here in AZ, running against Kelly. . .

The last just leaves me going, 'Who to not vote for. . .'

Gunny
10-06-2022, 06:54 PM
There's Walker, whose own son is now out of his campaign: https://hotair.com/karen-townsend/2022/10/06/another-shoe-just-dropped-in-herschel-walkers-october-surprise-saga-n501441

The last just leaves me going, 'Who to not vote for. . .'All this, that and the other aside, that's what it boils down to in most cases, IMO.

The elephant in the room is look what happens when the Dems get total control. They're tearing this country apart.

fj1200
10-07-2022, 07:12 AM
What I mean is I think he paid for someone's abortion

I wouldn't argue that you're wrong right now.

They're trying to manage a chaotic process and working with what they have. Which includes an elephant in the room and even when the elephant leaves it still looks like an elephant was there.

The last just leaves me going, 'Who to not vote for. . .'

And Ohio... :(

All this, that and the other aside, that's what it boils down to in most cases, IMO.

The elephant in the room is look what happens when the Dems get total control. They're tearing this country apart.

It wasn't all tulips and roses 2-6 years ago. Both ends are pulling hard.