PDA

View Full Version : Downtime

jimnyc
01-08-2007, 04:15 PM
My apologies for the downtime this afternoon but it was beyond my control. Apparently our server was setup a little screwy, hence the hiccups, and they completely moved us to a new server this afternoon.

Mr. P
01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
My apologies for the downtime this afternoon but it was beyond my control. Apparently our server was setup a little screwy, hence the hiccups, and they completely moved us to a new server this afternoon.

Wondering about that..I had the same problem getting in last night.

jimnyc
01-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Wondering about that..I had the same problem getting in last night.

It was internal routing issues at my provider. Should hopefully be all over now and back to business!

stephanie
01-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey, I couldn't get on the board starting around 12:30-1:00 am this morning until now....Tuesday

Been having problems it seems like the last three or four nights since the hack...
Anyone else have trouble today???

I really do wish it would KNOCK it off....

J/K- I know you've been getting the kinks out.......But I hate going that long with my board.....:laugh:

Mr. P
01-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Hey, I couldn't get on the board starting around 12:30-1:00 am this morning until now....Tuesday

Been having problems it seems like the last three or four nights since the hack...

I really do wish it would KNOCK it off....

J/K- I know you've been getting the kinks out.......But I hate going that long with my board.....:laugh:

When the temp hits +10 all will be right with the world, Steph. That should be, what, mid may? :laugh:

stephanie
01-10-2007, 02:09 AM
When the temp hits +10 all will be right with the world, Steph. That should be, what, mid may? :laugh:

Hey things are looking up....I got my water pipes thawed, so now we have water....

We heading for a warming trend, it's now only -30 below...

And now the board is up and running.....Whoo Hooo...

Celebrations........:beer: :uhoh:

jimnyc
01-10-2007, 06:03 AM

It wasn't SQL related, or I would have been dispatched error emails. Did you get an error message, or the board just wouldn't load?

Likely the server was under maintenance, rebooted or other sites brought the server down. I'll be monitoring...

KarlMarx
01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
It wasn't SQL related, or I would have been dispatched error emails. Did you get an error message, or the board just wouldn't load?

Likely the server was under maintenance, rebooted or other sites brought the server down. I'll be monitoring...
Did you change your IP address? I got an DNS error. I think when you change a DNS entry, it takes about 24 hours to make its way around the Internet... just a guess

Gaffer
01-10-2007, 06:34 PM

I couldn't get on all day today. Kept getting a server error. Rither they were working on it or had other problems. Glad its back.

jackass
01-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Same here

Evil
01-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry gents, Jim was on the job so blame him! :D

Abbey Marie
01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Sorry gents, Jim was on the job so blame him! :D

Jim: :no:

shattered
01-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Uh.. What happened to my account?

Mr. P
01-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Uh.. What happened to my account?

All-Clad.:D

Kathianne
01-10-2007, 10:06 PM
All-Clad.:D

rust.

Gunny
01-10-2007, 10:14 PM

The board wouldn't load for me about 3 times today. Took me about an hour before it came up 2-nite. When it doesn't, I get the MSN "Can't Find Server" page.

Gaffer
01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Its jewish plot to keep adolph from posting the truth. They've tracked him down.

stephanie
01-11-2007, 01:13 AM
I am just now able to get the board...9:07 pm., and I've been off work today and started trying around noon off and on all day...

Same thing for yesterday...

I was so worried about it, I hunted down poor John at his board...

I hope the kinks get worked out soon....I CANT STAND being without it for that long of a time....:uhoh: ;)

Gunny
01-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Its jewish plot to keep adolph from posting the truth. They've tracked him down.

:lmao:

Evil
01-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Ok Just talked to Jim regarding this issue, and it would appear that some can get on when others can't. Jim can probably give a better explanation for this but in short the board server was switched to a different one therefore requiring some propogating again. This should be about done if not already but should anymore problems persists the majority of you know my site, and can check in with me there if you can't get on here. :thumb:

jimnyc
01-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I left for NY yesterday afternoon and all was fine. John called me last night to say the board wouldn't load and that others were having the same issue. Of course when I checked from there it loaded fine.

There 'shouldn't be any propagating issues left. 2 days ago the whole account was moved to another server with my provider. This changed the IP of the site but shouldn't have affected users reaching the site via domain name. Should problems continue, I will escalate with my provider to ensure DNS is fully setup properly.

PLEASE post in this thread if you experience any more issues.

Thanks!

KarlMarx
01-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I left for NY yesterday afternoon and all was fine. John called me last night to say the board wouldn't load and that others were having the same issue. Of course when I checked from there it loaded fine.

There 'shouldn't be any propagating issues left. 2 days ago the whole account was moved to another server with my provider. This changed the IP of the site but shouldn't have affected users reaching the site via domain name. Should problems continue, I will escalate with my provider to ensure DNS is fully setup properly.

PLEASE post in this thread if you experience any more issues.

Thanks!
The DNS (domain name server) maps the domain name to the IP address, so if there is a DNS issue, you should be able to access this site via its IP address....

I just tried it and it worked here's how

1. open a command window on your workstation
2. type "ping www.debatepolicy.com", this will return an IP address. For those who aren't familiar with , an IP address consists of four numbers, each separated by a single dot, like so => 69.73.190.190. If you get a "request timed out" message, ignore it, just look for the IP address that is returned.
3. Enter the following in the address bar of your browser:
http://<IP< a> IP address you obtained in step 2

example: http://69.73.190.190

jimnyc
01-11-2007, 11:46 AM
The DNS (domain name server) maps the domain name to the IP address, so if there is a DNS issue, you should be able to access this site via its IP address....

I just tried it and it worked here's how

1. open a command window on your workstation
2. type "ping www.debatepolicy.com", this will return an IP address. For those who aren't familiar with , an IP address consists of four numbers, each separated by a single dot, like so => 69.73.190.190. If you get a "request timed out" message, ignore it, just look for the IP address that is returned.
3. Enter the following in the address bar of your browser:
http://<ip>< a> IP address you obtained in step 2

example: http://69.73.190.190

Excellent info to share, and that is the new IP! What's the odds that someone will save the info, and try that when they can't get here via domain name? At least that would confirm if it was a DNS issue or not!

Btw- Just wanted to stress again that nobody should ever bookmark and return to the site as an IP address - because as you can see they sometimes change! Great for troubleshooting though!
</ip>

KarlMarx
01-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Excellent info to share, and that is the new IP! What's the odds that someone will save the info, and try that when they can't get here via domain name? At least that would confirm if it was a DNS issue or not!

Btw- Just wanted to stress again that nobody should ever bookmark and return to the site as an IP address - because as you can see they sometimes change! Great for troubleshooting though!
</IP>

An IP address is like your server's telephone number on the internet... the difference between it and a phone number is that if your app moves to a different server, you can't take your old IP address with you....

jimnyc
01-11-2007, 11:59 AM
An IP address is like your server's telephone number on the internet... the difference between it and a phone number is that if your app moves to a different server, you can't take your old IP address with you....

I don't have access to levels of the server, and can't make DNS changes there myself. Any idea to get a list of all the dns settings and ensure they're correct? This place has been great with me for so long but this change was a little confusing. It's still the account from the old usmb but they just changed it up to reflect this domain now. I'm just wondering if something was missed somewhere. It's also odd that it seems some have the issue, it goes away, and then comes back - to me that's not indicative of DNS but rather a server issue.

KarlMarx
01-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't have access to levels of the server, and can't make DNS changes there myself. Any idea to get a list of all the dns settings and ensure they're correct? This place has been great with me for so long but this change was a little confusing. It's still the account from the old usmb but they just changed it up to reflect this domain now. I'm just wondering if something was missed somewhere. It's also odd that it seems some have the issue, it goes away, and then comes back - to me that's not indicative of DNS but rather a server issue.
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. My guess, though, is that type of access is restricted to the DNS administrator only.

jimnyc
01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. My guess, though, is that type of access is restricted to the DNS administrator only.

Damn, and he's probably in India! :laugh:

stephanie
01-12-2007, 01:23 AM
I just had the same problem as before...Just now able to get on 9:18. Last night the same thing....And last night the site went down on me at 1:37am..
And I couldn't get on all day except for now...This has been happening all week..

Is this just me...? Or something with the board??

Aaaaaaahhaaaaaaa...I can't take much more....:uhoh:

jimnyc
01-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Steph,

Copy this address and save it for future use:

http://69.73.190.190 (http://69.73.190.190/)

Should you not be able to access the site again, try that address and let me know if it works.

Do you get any errors? What exactly happens?

Anyone else?

KarlMarx
01-12-2007, 10:10 AM
here's a strange development... I'm currently logged on to work via a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and have access to my home connection at the same time. I can log into this site using the IP address through VPN, but if I use the www.debatepolicy.com (http://www.debatepolicy.com) URL, it hangs. However, I can use the domain name through my home connection... perhaps the DNS change hasn't propagated through the Internet.

stephanie
01-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Steph,

Copy this address and save it for future use:

http://69.73.190.190 (http://69.73.190.190/)

Should you not be able to access the site again, try that address and let me know if it works.

Do you get any errors? What exactly happens?

Anyone else?

I did just get on using the above, but it's also 8:45 right now about the usual time it would let me on so I'll have to try later or tomorrow morning and let you know more...

I had debate policy in favorites and when I used it, I get... The page cannot be displayed...

Then when I retype debatpolicy.com in the Addy it give me this

http://www.google.com/search?q=www.debatepolicy.com

As I said it's been the strangest all week....I could only get on the site from around 9pm and then I would lose it at around 1:30am...

All I know is it's been DRIVING ME CRAZY....

I'll let you know more on the above address, later....:beer:

jillian
01-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Hey, Steffie... is it any warmer up there?

I'm having the same problem as you are, but for me, the board seems to go down at lunchtime every day.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

stephanie
01-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Hey, Steffie... is it any warmer up there?

I'm having the same problem as you are, but for me, the board seems to go down at lunchtime every day.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

We went from -40 below Monday and Tuesday to da da ta.......15 above today Friday....All in one week....Hell we're breaking out the shorts...

I with you Jilly, I'm SURE it's been a conspiracy....SPOOKY!:lmao:

jillian
01-13-2007, 01:32 AM
We went from -40 below Monday and Tuesday to da da ta.......15 above today Friday....All in one week....Hell we're breaking out the shorts...

Wow! A balmy 15 above?!?!?! Woooo hoooo!!!!!

It actually is a bit weird. It'll be working fine all morning when I peek in periodically in between doing stuff at work and then the minute I sit down to relax for a few it gives me the finger... cybernetically, of course.

It is majorly creepy, Steffie!

stephanie
01-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Wow! A balmy 15 above?!?!?! Woooohoooo!!!!!

It actually is a bit weird. It'll be working fine all morning when I peek in periodically in between doing stuff at work and then the minute I sit down to relax for a few it gives me the finger... cybernetically, of course.

It is majorly creepy, Steffie!

It's weird Jilly....But after your at 40 below zero for awhile, 15 above is warm.....:D

It did really start after the hack job...You see what I've been going through...
Only able to get on from 9pm to 1:30 am....
It's been driving me nuts...
It must be a problem from the board end, but of course I'm no computer whizz...
It took everyone here a few times yrs ago to explain to me how to post the Addy, and how to copy and paste, that's how pathetic on the computer I was...
Before I joined the Usmb board all I used a computer for was to play games on...

Sheesh, I think it took me a full yr. before I would speak on the board....
Now, they can't get me to shut up....:lmao:

jillian
01-13-2007, 01:57 AM
:uhoh:

It's weird Jilly....But after your at 40 below zero for awhile, 15 above is warm.....:D

It did really start after the hack job...You see what I've been going through...
Only able to get on from 9pm to 1:30 am....
It's been driving me nuts...
It must be a problem from the board end, but of course I'm no computer whizz...
It took everyone here a few times yrs ago to explain to me how to post the Addy, and how to copy and paste, that's how pathetic on the computer I was...
Before I joined the Usmb board all I used a computer for was to play games on...

Sheesh, I think it took me a full yr. before I would speak on the board....
Now, they can't get me to shut up....:lmao:

Well, FWIW, when I started posting on the first board I was on, I didn't know how to copy and paste either, and I got yelled at by another poster for not knowing how to link stuff. Was really pathetic! I'm still fairly technologically inept, but I do know how to type!! (Since that's low tech!)

I can imagine 15 above is warm compared to 40 below. I mean, that's got to actually hurt!! Here the polar bear club was complaining that it was too warm for their New Year's swim. Was kinda funny, really. All these old guys complaining that they weren't going to freeze their whatchahoozits off in the ocean!

And I agree that the problems started after the board got hacked. Might take a bit to get all the kinks out.

jillian
01-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Anyway, off to sleep for me! Have a good rest of your evening, Stef.

(And no, I can't imagine you not having your say for a whole year! Heh!)

Laterz!

stephanie
01-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Anyway, off to sleep for me! Have a good rest of your evening, Stef.

(And no, I can't imagine you not having your say for a whole year! Heh!)

Laterz!

Talk at you in the morning........Hopefully.....(keeping fingers crossed):beer:

stephanie
01-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey Jimmy.....just to fill you in....It's now 2:50 Alaska time...

I just went to my favorits... This is what I get..

http://www.debatepolicy.com/index.php
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

This is what I get when I try.........debatepolicy.com
http://www.google.com/search?q=www.debatepolicy.com

Hope this helps you........

So far it seems that this new address below work....Thanks..
http://69.73.190.190/index.php:beer:

Mr. P
01-13-2007, 08:31 AM
I think you two have computer cooties! :D

KarlMarx
01-13-2007, 08:33 AM
So far it seems that this new address below work....Thanks..
http://69.73.190.190/index.php:beer:
I'm not a network administrator, but that tells me that the problem very likely is with a DNS (domain name server) someplace.

The DNS can't resolve the www.debatepolicy.com (http://www.debatepolicy.com) domain to the IP address.

Stephanie, have you installed anything on your machine recently? Do you have a firewall installed e.g. McAfee? It also could be the problem is with your ISP's(Internet Service Provider) DNS.

Jim --- have you asked the hosting company for debate policy if they have any problems with their DNS?

Stephanie --- if you'd like, PM Jim or me the name of your Internet Service Provider, or better yet, a link to their home page. It is possible that they have an outage. ISPs often post outages and other status on their site (my ISP, RoadRunner, does)... if I can take a look at it perhaps, it may shed some light on the issue.

Mr. P
01-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Karl...if the problem was the DNS for this site wouldn't we all be having a problem?

jimnyc
01-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Jim --- have you asked the hosting company for debate policy if they have any problems with their DNS?

According to my provider, all DNS settings are correct.

When you type in a domain name, the first thing that happens is that it's resolved to an IP address, then it tries to connect to the site. These IP address's propagate, and are retrieved from your ISP's routing tables. Some are set to update as quickly as 4 hours where others are set to update as long as 72 hours. We're past all that, so I can only assume it's an issue on Steph's end with routing, since nobody else has the issue. The weird thing is that it sometimes works for her. If it works once, it shouldn't be changing later in the day, BUT it's possible, like Karl said, that there are issues with the provider and it's just not resolving anything properly.

Steph, any problems with any other sites?

jimnyc
01-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Karl...if the problem was the DNS for this site wouldn't we all be having a problem?

Yes, and no. Now that it's been several days, the propagation should be complete, but that propagation takes longer for some. If it was an outright bogus DNS setting, then yes, everyone would experience the issues.

KarlMarx
01-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes, and no. Now that it's been several days, the propagation should be complete, but that propagation takes longer for some. If it was an outright bogus DNS setting, then yes, everyone would experience the issues.
That's true. My understanding is that there are many Domain Name Servers out on the Internet. So each person points to a different one, depending on their ISP.

stephanie
01-13-2007, 03:21 PM
According to my provider, all DNS settings are correct.

When you type in a domain name, the first thing that happens is that it's resolved to an IP address, then it tries to connect to the site. These IP address's propagate, and are retrieved from your Ip routing tables. Some are set to update as quickly as 4 hours where others are set to update as long as 72 hours. We're past all that, so I can only assume it's an issue on Steph's end with routing, since nobody else has the issue. The weird thing is that it sometimes works for her. If it works once, it shouldn't be changing later in the day, BUT it's possible, like Karl said, that there are issues with the provider and it's just not resolving anything properly.

Steph, any problems with any other sites?

No problems with any of my other sites I visit regularly...Its now 11:18am Saturday and I had to use the number address ....

Whats weird also Jimmy was when I could get on at 9pm I could use the regular Addy..But then as I said it would go down at around 1:30 :dunno:

Gaffer
01-13-2007, 08:17 PM
I had similar issues as step, I began using the number address and haven't had any problem. I keep both listed in my bookmarks but now just using the numbers.

KarlMarx
01-13-2007, 08:28 PM
When you get this problem, have you tried refreshing the page? You can do this either by pressing the "refresh" icon (usually denoted by two arrows in a circle) or by pressing the "F5" key. You may have an old copy of the file hanging about.

I also wonder if there is a caching problem with your browsers.You may need to clear that. Try this.....

If you have Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options

Select the "General" Tab. There is a section titled "temporary internet files", select "delete files"... that should clear the cache.

If you have a 2nd browser available (or a second computer), try accessing debatepolicy.com from that.

jimnyc
01-13-2007, 08:30 PM
More excellent suggestions from Mr. Marx!

Another handy DNS tip:

Go to START -> RUN and then type in CMD

This will bring you to the dos prompt. At this prompt, type the following:

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

Believe it or not, our own computers sometimes cache routing tables to make surfing a little quicker. Doubtful that this is the issue but also figured it couldn't hurt!

KarlMarx
01-14-2007, 06:33 AM
More excellent suggestions from Mr. Marx!

Another handy DNS tip:

Go to START -> RUN and then type in CMD

This will bring you to the dos prompt. At this prompt, type the following:

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

Believe it or not, our own computers sometimes cache routing tables to make surfing a little quicker. Doubtful that this is the issue but also figured it couldn't hurt!
I would do this before trying to clear the cache in Internet Explorer. This may be the cause of the problem... and explains why only some people have the problem.