PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Bible quotes

09-27-2007, 11:59 AM
I didnt see the debate last night but ive been hearing that the candidates were asked their favorate Bible quote and Hillary quoted a verse that doesnt exist. Can anyone confirm this because I cant find the transcripts anywhere.

retiredman
09-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I think she referred to "The Golden Rule" which is contained in Luke 6:31

PostmodernProphet
09-27-2007, 12:29 PM
which one did she use?....Do unto others but deny, deny, deny?

retiredman
09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
no...the other one.

-Cp
09-27-2007, 01:05 PM
What is not at all surprising is how NONE if them cited any Verse - the question was:

"What is your favorite Bible verse?"

Senator Barack Obama: “The Sermon on the Mount, because it expresses a basic principle that I think we’ve lost over the last six years.”
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: “The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I think that’s a good rule for politics, too.”
Mike Gravel: “The most important thing in life is love. That’s what empowers courage and courage implements the rest of our virtues.”
Representative Dennis Kucinich: “Prayer from St. Francis, which says, ‘Lord make me an instrument of your peace.’ ”
John Edwards: “What you do unto the least of those, you do unto me.”
New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson: “The Sermon on the Mount, because I believe it’s an issue of social justice, equality, brotherly issues reflecting a nation that is deeply torn and needs to heal and come together.”
Senator Christopher J. Dodd: “The Good Samaritan would be a worthwhile sort of description of who we all ought to be in life.”
Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr.: “Christ’s warning of the Pharisees. There are many Pharisees, and it’s part of what has bankrupted some people’s view about religion. And I worry about the Pharisees.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/the-democrats-quote-scripture/

retiredman
09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
cp.... the golden rule IS a bible verse. Luke 6:31

don't just cut and paste from some blog..

-Cp
09-27-2007, 01:15 PM
cp.... the golden rule IS a bible verse. Luke 6:31

don't just cut and paste from some blog..

I'm well aware of the Verse you cite - but there's no such a thing as a "Golden Rule" in the Bible...

retiredman
09-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm well aware of the Verse you cite - but there's no such a thing as a "Golden Rule" in the Bible...

Luke 6:31 has come to be known as "The Golden Rule"

Question....is there a "beatitudes" in the Bible? If she had said her favorite verse was the beatitudes, would you have given her shit about that, too?

-Cp
09-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Luke 6:31 has come to be known as "The Golden Rule"

Question....is there a "beatitudes" in the Bible? If she had said her favorite verse was the beatitudes, would you have given her shit about that, too?

Yes.. cause that's not answering the question...

retiredman
09-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes.. cause that's not answering the question...

what a crock. the term "The Beatitudes" is UNIVERSALLY known to refer to Matt 5:3-12.

and of course, the real issue is that you would give her shit, not because she answered the question wrong, but because of who she is. I find it incomprehensible to imagine you spouting off on Rudy or Fred or Mitt of John referring to the common name for some scriptural passage rather than book/chapter/verse.

-Cp
09-27-2007, 02:06 PM
what a crock. the term "The Beatitudes" is UNIVERSALLY known to refer to Matt 5:3-12.

and of course, the real issue is that you would give her shit, not because she answered the question wrong, but because of who she is. I find it incomprehensible to imagine you spouting off on Rudy or Fred or Mitt of John referring to the common name for some scriptural passage rather than book/chapter/verse.

Yeah.. well. you don't know me too well now do you?

retiredman
09-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah.. well. you don't know me too well now do you?

your reputation precedes you, and your avatar is quite revealing! ;)

-Cp
09-27-2007, 02:22 PM

You're right! OMG! My Avatar! It reavles how anyone can be caught in a photo making a funny face! Wow - thank you Captain Obvious! :)

Sir Evil
09-27-2007, 02:25 PM

retiredman
09-27-2007, 02:38 PM
ah... my little yappy pet dog.

good to see you again!

You did know, did you not, that imitation is the highest form of flattery?

I am touched by your attention to me.... but it is starting to seem like a man crush...and that is kinda creepy.

retiredman
09-27-2007, 02:38 PM
You're right! OMG! My Avatar! It reavles how anyone can be caught in a photo making a funny face! Wow - thank you Captain Obvious! :)

no charge

JackDaniels
09-27-2007, 03:12 PM

You're really nitpicking.

You know what would have impressed me? Them quoting something from the writings of Anton LaVey.

Yurt
09-27-2007, 08:18 PM
What is not at all surprising is how NONE if them cited any Verse - the question was:

"What is your favorite Bible verse?"

Senator Barack Obama: “The Sermon on the Mount, because it expresses a basic principle that I think we’ve lost over the last six years.”
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: “The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I think that’s a good rule for politics, too.”
Mike Gravel: “The most important thing in life is love. That’s what empowers courage and courage implements the rest of our virtues.”
Representative Dennis Kucinich: “Prayer from St. Francis, which says, ‘Lord make me an instrument of your peace.’ ”
John Edwards: “What you do unto the least of those, you do unto me.”
New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson: “The Sermon on the Mount, because I believe it’s an issue of social justice, equality, brotherly issues reflecting a nation that is deeply torn and needs to heal and come together.”
Senator Christopher J. Dodd: “The Good Samaritan would be a worthwhile sort of description of who we all ought to be in life.”
Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr.: “Christ’s warning of the Pharisees. There are many Pharisees, and it’s part of what has bankrupted some people’s view about religion. And I worry about the Pharisees.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/the-democrats-quote-scripture/

Pretty sure that is a verse. I think it is talking about children.

chesswarsnow
09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But you know me, I always like throwing gasoline on the fire.
2. I think they should of asked these Democratic Candidates.
3. Whats your fav verse in the Koran.
4. Perhaps then they would have had come up with something they would like to believe in.
5. In my opinion.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

JohnDoe
09-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Pretty sure that is a verse. I think it is talking about children.

no yurt, it is not about children, it is about mankind....how we treat mankind, strangers, prisoners, sick, hungry.....the least among us.

fyi Matthew 25

The Sheep and the Goats
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

JohnDoe
09-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I didnt see the debate last night but ive been hearing that the candidates were asked their favorate Bible quote and Hillary quoted a verse that doesnt exist. Can anyone confirm this because I cant find the transcripts anywhere.

Avatar, the question was NOT as you put it,

"What is your favorite Bible QUOTE?"

The question was,

What is your favorite Bible VERSE?

There is a difference between the two, can't you see this?

They were not asked to quote the scripture. :slap:

If someone were to ask me, and I were on the political stage, it would come between the Golden rule, the sermon on the mount/beatitudes, or the Parable of the sheep and the goats, or perhaps it would have been John 3:16 but not likely because it probably would not have made my political point.... :D.

jd

Immanuel
10-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Avatar, the question was NOT as you put it,

The question was,

There is a difference between the two, can't you see this?

They were not asked to quote the scripture. :slap:

If someone were to ask me, and I were on the political stage, it would come between the Golden rule, the sermon on the mount/beatitudes, or the Parable of the sheep and the goats, or perhaps it would have been John 3:16 but not likely because it probably would not have made my political point.... :D.

jd

And for me, I would have assumed they were asking my favorite verse and I would have given it to them first the address, 2 Corinthians 9:13, then quoted it, "Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for your obedience that accompanies your confession of the Gospel of Christ and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else". 2 Corinthians 9:13.

Had they asked for my favorite passage, I would have said The Beatitude or The Parable of the Prodigal Son or maybe Jesus speaking to the thief beside him on the Cross, "Today you will be with me in Paradise."

Of course, I hate public speaking so the chances of getting me on stage and and asking me that question are... well, darned close to nil. :laugh2:

Immie

JohnDoe
10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
And for me, I would have assumed they were asking my favorite verse and I would have given it to them first the address, 2 Corinthians 9:13, then quoted it, "Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for your obedience that accompanies your confession of the Gospel of Christ and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else". 2 Corinthians 9:13.

Had they asked for my favorite passage, I would have said The Beatitude or The Parable of the Prodigal Son or maybe Jesus speaking to the thief beside him on the Cross, "Today you will be with me in Paradise."

Of course, I hate public speaking so the chances of getting me on stage and and asking me that question are... well, darned close to nil. :laugh2:

Immie
oh my! :(

immie, the corrinthians quote was Margie's favorite passage, she took it to heart, and was preaching and living the Word untill she went comatose this past week.... the nurses told us, she had Bible in hand, sharing the Gospel with anyone that entered the room! lol

Sad to see her pass on... but joyous for her!

Mr. P
10-06-2007, 03:55 PM
What the hell does a candidates favorite Bible quote have to do with anything?
What a stupid question!

Missileman
10-06-2007, 04:14 PM
What the hell does a candidates favorite Bible quote have to do with anything?
What a stupid question!

The dems were asked this question for a very specific purpose. It was to show that liberals aren't all godless heathens as rumored by the thumpers. It's a shame that more pressing questions were pre-empted for this.