PDA

View Full Version : Covid & Me

Abbey Marie
09-11-2021, 02:52 PM
Some folks here already know this, but I am currently sick with COVID. I was vaccinated in January and February with the Pfizer product.

I’ve been pretty sick, but thank God and Pfizer I’ve not had to be hospitalized. It’s like having a long-term lousy flu. Fever, cough, loss of smell, extreme tiredness. Some headaches.

Husband and daughter are fine. Interestingly they were vaccinated with different company’s vaccines. Reports are out now that Pfizer isn’t performing quite as well as Moderna.

I believe with my underlying issues, I would be in the ICU right now had I not been vaccinated.

Please do not turn this personal thread into some political crap. There are umpteen other threads in which to do so. Just thought you should know.

Black Diamond
09-11-2021, 02:56 PM
Some folks here already know this, but I am currently sick with COVID. I was vaccinated in January and February with the Pfizer product.

Ive been pretty sick, but thank God and Pfizer I’ve not had to be hospitalized. It’s like having a long-term lousy flu. Fever, cough, loss of smell, extreme tiredness. Some headaches.

Husband and daughter are fine. Interestingly they were vaccinated with different company’s vaccines. Reports are out now that Pfizer isn’t performing quite as well as Moderna.

I believe with my underlying issues, I would be in the ICU right now had I not been vaccinated.

Please do not turn this personal thread into some political crap. There are umpteen other threads I which to do so. Just thought you should know.

Any way to know or guess if it's delta variant? Glad you're not hospitalized. I have a general idea of your comorbidities.

Abbey Marie
09-11-2021, 02:57 PM
Any way to know or guess if it's delta variant? Glad you're not hospitalized. I have a general idea of your comorbidities.

I don’t know how to find out

Black Diamond
09-11-2021, 03:00 PM

That's what I would have guessed. If you get tested I have heard they determine at a lab whether or not it's delta. But I don't know if they let you know that.
In any effect I'll keep you in my prayers.

Gunny
09-11-2021, 03:10 PM

Ive been pretty sick, but thank God and Pfizer I’ve not had to be hospitalized. It’s like having a long-term lousy flu. Fever, cough, loss of smell, extreme tiredness. Some headaches.

Please do not turn this personal thread into some political crap. There are umpteen other threads in which to do so. Just thought you should know.You're still here. Told you :)

JakeStarkey
09-11-2021, 03:34 PM

Please do not turn this personal thread into some political crap. There are umpteen other threads in which to do so. Just thought you should know.

I am so glad that it is not worse. I pray that it will get better soon.

jimnyc
09-11-2021, 03:53 PM

I do believe as well that you would be in the hospital or worse if not vaccinated. Your temps were high there for a spell. I hope you're still taking all the usual vitamins, and hopefully getting liquids and some food in you if you can.

I am glad to see you posting and knowing you are home and kicking its ass.

And you're also correct that there are endless threads to debate the vaccine and its efficacy and what not. No need for any of that in this thread when one of our own is suffering from the virus.

fj1200
09-11-2021, 04:12 PM

Stay strong. I think they might only find out for sure if you're hospitalized.

Kathianne
09-11-2021, 04:58 PM
Prayers Abbey! Glad you're on the mend.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-11-2021, 05:49 PM

My friend, so sorry to hear of you having Covid. But I am so very glad to find out that tho' ill your body is fighting it well and you are not in the hospital.
Justin had Covid back in the middle of August, htayed home from school for two weeks, I was his nurse and doctor too. He had fever for 6 days on seventh day fever broke by 8th day he was like new again! Kids they bounce back fast , but I was crazy with dread those 6 long days, lost so much sleep. Stay safe my friend--this world needs ya!!! God bless, always..

Surf Fishing Guru
09-11-2021, 06:18 PM
Some folks here already know this, but I am currently sick with COVID

Sorry to hear, I know it can be unsettling but the best piece of advice I can give is get a fingertip pulse-ox meter and keep tabs on your oxygen saturation. Even if you aren't short of breath, the aches and general lack of movement makes you susceptible to pneumonia.

I'll relate my story . . .

I tested positive on November 25th 2020, which was 5 days after symptoms started, had a total of 8 days of hellish symptoms . . . Unrelenting fever, sweats, complete exhaustion and the worst back and joint pain and stiffness I've ever had, it really kicked my ass.

Those symptoms resolved and I felt OK for 3 days and I thought I was out of the woods .. . Then shortness of breath set in, pulse-ox dropped into the 80's and went to the hospital and spent 5 days there, receiving Remdesivir and Dexamethasone and on nasal O2 for 3 days even though my O2 saturation recovered very nicely once therapeutics started.

After coming home, it was into the end of January of not feeling right, total weakness, not capable of drawing a full breath, plus the COVID fog.

I had blood work in January and then at the end of April and the results showed SARS-CoV-2 IgG Antibody, the April tests were 22 weeks after testing positive.

After much internal debate I got the J&J on May 1st. The day after I felt like I had the RONA again, fever, aches but next day felt better.

I'm pissed that discerning the immunity from actual infection has never been of much interest to the "experts". I surrendered to family and social pressure to get the jab but speaking for me, I regret it, I'm just glad I did the J&J and not an mRNA. Even though, I will NOT be getting any booster.

All in all, and as more and more comes out about the robustness and durability of actual immunity from infection, I'm glad I got the China Flu (and damnit, I'll call it what I want). I can't say I wasn't scared at the diagnosis, I was 60, pleasingly plump and with other negative preconditions and my daughter and her wife (both nurses) were absolute nervous wrecks. Only good thing, my daughter-in-law was working in the COVID ward where I was so that made the stay a little better.

Stay positive, check the O2 and take zinc and D3, hope you feel better real quick!

Gunny
09-11-2021, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear, I know it can be unsettling but the best piece of advice I can give is get a fingertip pulse-ox meter and keep tabs on your oxygen saturation. Even if you aren't short of breath, the aches and general lack of movement makes you susceptible to pneumonia.

I tested positive on November 25th 2020, which was 5 days after symptoms started, had a total of 8 days of hellish symptoms . . . Unrelenting fever, sweats, complete exhaustion and the worst back and joint pain and stiffness I've ever had, it really kicked my ass.

Those symptoms resolved and I felt OK for 3 days and I thought I was out of the woods .. . Then shortness of breath set in, pulse-ox dropped into the 80's and went to the hospital and spent 5 days there, receiving Remdesivir and Dexamethasone and on nasal O2 for 3 days even though my O2 saturation recovered very nicely once therapeutics started.

After coming home, it was into the end of January of not feeling right, total weakness, not capable of drawing a full breath, plus the COVID fog.

I had blood work in January and then at the end of April and the results showed SARS-CoV-2 IgG Antibody, the April tests were 22 weeks after testing positive.

After much internal debate I got the J&J on May 1st. The day after I felt like I had the RONA again, fever, aches but next day felt better.

I'm pissed that discerning the immunity from actual infection has never been of much interest to the "experts". I surrendered to family and social pressure to get the jab but speaking for me, I regret it, I'm just glad I did the J&J and not an mRNA. Even though, I will NOT be getting any booster.

All in all, and as more and more comes out about the robustness and durability of actual immunity from infection, I'm glad I got the China Flu (and damnit, I'll call it what I want). I can't say I wasn't scared at the diagnosis, I was 60, pleasingly plump and with other negative preconditions and my daughter and her wife (both nurses) were absolute nervous wrecks. Only good thing, my daughter-in-law was working in the COVID ward where I was so that made the stay a little better.

Stay positive, check the O2 and take zinc and D3, hope you feel better real quick!

.I thought I had mentioned the blood oxygen meter somewhere? But yes, it was an essential piece of equipment.

What's wrong with "Kung flu"? :)

icansayit
09-11-2021, 06:36 PM
Our prayers and only good thoughts go out for you. You will beat it. Positive thinking and prayer always have worked for me...hundreds of times.

GOD BLESS!

SassyLady
09-11-2021, 06:48 PM
Sorry you're not feeling well Abbey.

Will this help?

Abbey Marie
09-12-2021, 01:13 AM
I have a pulse oximeter- bought it last year when the pandemic was in full swing. It almost always gives me good readings, thank goodness.

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes, info, and especially any prayers. It means a lot.
Going on 2 weeks of this, and I am worn out.

Abbey Marie
09-12-2021, 09:51 AM

Thank you for sharing your story.
:beer:

Mr. P
09-12-2021, 01:36 PM
Thank you both Abbey & Surf Fishing Guru for the info.

I'm always very frustrated when someone says "I had rono and it was...." without any additional detail.

Good to know you're both recovering.

Curious, do either of you know when/where or how you were exposed?

Gunny
09-12-2021, 01:53 PM

I'm always very frustrated when someone says "I had rono and it was...." without any additional detail.

Curious, do either of you know when/where or how you were exposed?I cannot speak for either of them, but, my daughter is an elementary school teacher in a public school. It was the only place she could have been exposed. We were already on "lockdown", social distancing, masking. Neither of my granddaughters who attend public school nor the grandson and I who stayed home got it.

I can also point out that she got it pre-vaccine, and with all the social distancing and masking rules in place.

Abbey Marie
09-12-2021, 03:00 PM

Curious, do either of you know when/where or how you were exposed?

Thanks Mr. P.

My best guess is a concert in a theater that my family went to a few days before symptoms. Not a mask in sight.
I wore mine for a while, but once I got into the music, I took it off.
The weird thing though is I tested negative 4 days later. I re-tested because I just had a gut feeling that I should, and then it was positive. Thank goodness because I was about to go play board games with my friends.
I guess I will never know why the initial negative. Did I get it somewhere else later, or was it a false negative?
Plus hubby is still negative, and daughter tested positive with zero symptoms. She is negative now.

:dunno:

NightTrain
09-12-2021, 03:24 PM
Plus hubby is still negative, and daughter tested positive with zero symptoms. She is negative now.

:dunno:

Glad you're feeling better, Abs!

Funny thing about your family not catching it, even though you were all locked up in the same house. I know of 3 different guys here in AK that had their kids bring it home from school. Everyone in their house got sick - except the husband.

All 3 of them were sure they were going to catch it, but they never did. I'm thinking a natural immunity, because they all got tested multiple times after and they never had it according to the bloodwork, and their families were confirmed to have had it from the bloodwork. And they weren't shying away from their wives & kids, because they were taking care of all of them for a couple of weeks.

Some people don't catch it, and I think it's bizarre that scientists haven't figured that out yet. Seems to me they'd be knocking down their doors to try to get them to be a lab rat, but no one ever called asking if they'd help out the medical community figure out their superhuman resistance to this thing.

Abbey Marie
09-12-2021, 03:29 PM
Glad you're feeling better, Abs!

Funny thing about your family not catching it, even though you were all locked up in the same house. I know of 3 different guys here in AK that had their kids bring it home from school. Everyone in their house got sick - except the husband.

All 3 of them were sure they were going to catch it, but they never did. I'm thinking a natural immunity, because they all got tested multiple times after and they never had it according to the bloodwork, and their families were confirmed to have had it from the bloodwork. And they weren't shying away from their wives & kids, because they were taking care of all of them for a couple of weeks.

Some people don't catch it, and I think it's bizarre that scientists haven't figured that out yet. Seems to me they'd be knocking down their doors to try to get them to be a lab rat, but no one ever called asking if they'd help out the medical community figure out their superhuman resistance to this thing.

Good point, Rick. No one is following up to figure out why Russ is negative, yet daughter was positive. And Russ and I shared the bedroom for several days because of the initial negative. I was coughing a lot.

Do you know if the husbands above had a different vaccine from the family?

NightTrain
09-12-2021, 03:44 PM
Do you know if the husbands above had a different vaccine from the family?

All 3 instances were prior to vaccinations... so this was completely natural and unmolested by vaccines.

I'm sure that this is somewhat rare, but me personally running across this same scenario in AK 3 times leads me to suspect it's much more common. There's only 700,000 of us in this State.

Bilgerat
09-13-2021, 06:55 AM

I just googled "who paid the largest criminal fine in history and why"

Damn :uhoh: :uhoh:

darin
09-13-2021, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the update, Abbey - are you and Russ trying to isolate and all that, within the house? Do you think once you beat this you'll be immune from subsequent attacks?

Abbey Marie
09-13-2021, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the update, Abbey - are you and Russ trying to isolate and all that, within the house? Do you think once you beat this you'll be immune from subsequent attacks?

The short answer is, yes, but not 100%.

Russ is taking care of me, since I also have the hand surgery healing going on. Washing my hair, helping me bathe, bringing me tea. He sleeps in the guest room, though, and wears a mask. Since our daughter also initially tested positive, he was keeping away from her, too.

I’ve read that so far all they can say for sure is it would give me immunity for 3-4 months. That’s not very long. I expect I will need a booster sometime in late winter. The question for me is, do I have to get Pfizer again? (Btw, Russ got Moderna). For now, I’m just wondering after two full weeks of this, when I will feel better?

Kathianne
09-13-2021, 01:00 PM
The short answer is, yes, but not 100%.

Russ is taking care of me, since I also have the hand surgery healing going on. Washing my hair, helping me bathe, bringing me tea. He sleeps in the guest room, though, and wears a mask. Since our daughter also initially tested positive, he was keeping away from her, too.

I’ve read that so far all they can say for sure is it would give me immunity for 3-4 months. That’s not very long. I expect I will need a booster sometime in late winter. The question for me is, do I have to get Pfizer again? (Btw, Russ got Moderna). For now, I’m just wondering after two full weeks of this, when I will feel better?

From those I know, worst is over about 2 weeks. Still feel less bad and annoying problems with taste and smell for months.

Black Diamond
09-13-2021, 01:05 PM
From those I know, worst is over about 2 weeks. Still feel less bad and annoying problems with taste and smell for months.

Interestingly we didn't lose taste or smell. The fatigue lasted about four weeks.