PDA

View Full Version : Father Of Mich. Girl Whose Hair Was Cut By Teacher Files $1M Lawsuit

Gunny
09-19-2021, 12:09 PM
Inappropriate. These "school officials" need to be fired, and I think the father isn't asking for enough. You cut MY kid's hair without permission you better have a plane ticket out of the country first. This is one of those things that I couldn't guarantee a cap on my temper.

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 2:43 PM PT – Saturday, September 18, 2021The father of a seven-year-old Michigan girl has filed a lawsuit after a teacher allegedly cut his daughter’s hair without permission. In the $1 million suit filed against the district, a librarian and a teacher’s assistant, Michigan resident Jimmy Hoffmeyer claimed his biracial daughter’s rights were violated.
This comes after his daughter came home from school on two different occasions with her hair cut. The second cut reportedly came from one of the district’s teachers.
“I just don’t understand why she thought a child could make any decisions like that, whether it was straightening it, whether it was cutting it. Why is she touching my child period? During a COVID pandemic and without permission. I just don’t understand that,” said Hoffmeyer.
Documents filed with the court read, “[the district] failed to properly train, monitor, direct, discipline and supervise their employees and knew or should have known that the employees would engage in the complained of behavior given the improper training, customs, procedures and policies, and the lack of discipline that existed for employees.”
Meanwhile, Hoffmeyer is also suing for racial discrimination, ethic intimidation and assault and battery stemming from the incident.
https://www.oann.com/father-of-mich-girl-whose-hair-was-cut-by-teacher-files-1m-lawsuit/

JakeStarkey
09-19-2021, 12:27 PM
Not enough.

Don't touch the children unless you are keeping one from maiming or murdering another child.

SassyLady
09-19-2021, 12:48 PM
Oh, man. I'm with you in this Gunny. I've had quite a few "discussions" with teachers over the years about their interactions with my kids.

My daughter's 2nd grade teacher gave my daughter a B on report card despite all As on homework, class work and quizzes. When I asked her how that worked she said she never gave out As on report cards during first quarter grading period. I explained to her that she was stifling my daughter's desire to excel because she decided what is the point of working hard without recognition. I took it to the principal. They convinced the teacher that she needed to change her policy.

Back then no one thought to sue. We just advocated for better teachers. Today teachers are protected by unions and there are a lot of bad teachers.

JakeStarkey
09-19-2021, 01:00 PM
Oh, man. I'm with you in this Gunny. I've had quite a few "discussions" with teachers over the years about their interactions with my kids.

My daughter's 2nd grade teacher gave my daughter a B on report card despite all As on homework, class work and quizzes. When I asked her how that worked she said she never gave out As on report cards during first quarter grading period. I explained to her that she was stifling my daughter's desire to excel because she decided what is the point of working hard without recognition. I took it to the principal. They convinced the teacher that she needed to change her policy.

Back then no one thought to sue. We just advocated for better teachers. Today teachers are protected by unions and there are a lot of bad teachers.

Good on you. There has always been a lot of bad teachers. Now we also have a lot of misinformed parents who don't understand that failure and struggle and succeeding are all parts of life. Yes, recognize the child for good and bad and indifferent in the classroom.

SassyLady
09-19-2021, 03:58 PM