PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Noodle Soup

Gunny
09-20-2021, 03:36 PM
I'm talking Campbell's out of the can here, not somebody's exotic recipe (@kathianne) :)

Granddaughter's sick. Stomach's upset. Daughter has lightbulb come on as she always does and says "chicken noodles soup". Yes, I raised her as a single parent; and, no she didn't learn THAT from ME.

That stuff is disgusting. You can see the grease pools in the bowl. Ramen noodles are less disgusting to me. They're disgusting too but a Marine's best friend at times :)

Any enlightenment someone might want to share on this chicken noodle soup mythology?

fj1200
09-20-2021, 04:03 PM
Any enlightenment someone might want to share on this chicken noodle soup mythology?

Big Soup.

:scared:

JakeStarkey
09-20-2021, 06:53 PM
Chicken noodle soup can be too 'greasy' for some stomachs.

Boil up some noodles, boil up a chicken filet and then sliver it, put the extra noodles and the slivers into a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup to thicken it.

You have a super daughter, gunny.

Gunny
09-20-2021, 07:27 PM
Chicken noodle soup can be too 'greasy' for some stomachs.

Boil up some noodles, boil up a chicken filet and then sliver it, put the extra noodles and the slivers into a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup to thicken it.

You have a super daughter, gunny.Oh I know how to make it from scratch. I'm not going to do it here as much of that crap as they eat.

What gets me about it is my younger granddaughter is THE most finicky eater in the Universe, to include me and the cats, but she'll eat that crap. And anything processed sugar. I guarantee you right now if I made a batch of home made chicken tortilla soup, or even just chicken noodle soup, she wouldn't touch it.

Then there's my daughter who thinks it's the solution to every problem:rolleyes:

I was just more curious to see if anyone else actually eats that canned stuff. Maybe it's just me?:laugh:

NT'sGirl
09-21-2021, 12:34 AM
Oh I know how to make it from scratch. I'm not going to do it here as much of that crap as they eat.

What gets me about it is my younger granddaughter is THE most finicky eater in the Universe, to include me and the cats, but she'll eat that crap. And anything processed sugar. I guarantee you right now if I made a batch of home made chicken tortilla soup, or even just chicken noodle soup, she wouldn't touch it.

Then there's my daughter who thinks it's the solution to every problem:rolleyes:

I was just more curious to see if anyone else actually eats that canned stuff. Maybe it's just me?:laugh:

I definitely don't prefer any canned stuff but my hubby does.
The reasoning behind why canned chicken soup works is the excessive salt content. Warm liquid helps prime the system for hydration and the volume of salt makes you drink more. Which helps break up congestion and in general is what most people need any way. Also it's a fair balance of carb and protein to give the body some fuel to fight with that is easy to digest.

Gunny
09-21-2021, 08:57 AM
I definitely don't prefer any canned stuff but my hubby does.
The reasoning behind why canned chicken soup works is the excessive salt content. Warm liquid helps prime the system for hydration and the volume of salt makes you drink more. Which helps break up congestion and in general is what most people need any way. Also it's a fair balance of carb and protein to give the body some fuel to fight with that is easy to digest.What should worry you is I understand that :laugh:

I go for crackers, bread, grits, oatmeal ... I just can't get past looking at the oil just sitting on top of the soup. Even the soup doesn't want it :)

I shouldn't complain. When my daughter was sick I had to cook.

NT'sGirl
09-21-2021, 09:00 AM
What should worry you is I understand that :laugh:

I go for crackers, bread, grits, oatmeal ... I just can't get past looking at the oil just sitting on top of the soup. Even the soup doesn't want it :)

I shouldn't complain. When my daughter was sick I had to cook.

Thank you for making me laugh ��
But now I want some grits can you come make me some?

Gunny
09-21-2021, 09:17 AM
Thank you for making me laugh ��
But now I want some grits can you come make me some?Pot right here on the stove. What's left. Apparently, everyone but me got whatever this bug is. Grits and dry toast for everyone :laugh:

Bonus question: You eat grits with sugar and butter? Or salt and pepper (and butter)? That question (and response) will get some seriously heated discussion going with some people :laugh:

I'm from the South. Salt, pepper and butter. I learned to eat them with sugar and butter in the Marines, but will default to Southern. The way Grandma made them. With bacon bits :)

NightTrain
09-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Canned all the way. Can't beat Campbell's.

And the oil slick on the top goes away when you heat it up & stir it! That's your broth flavor right there.

Gunny
09-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Canned all the way. Can't beat Campbell's.

And the oil slick on the top goes away when you heat it up & stir it! That's your broth flavor right there.:laugh2:

I know I can stir it away. I'm leery of anything where the grease pool comes back before I can get a spoonful :laugh:

NT'sGirl
09-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Pot right here on the stove. What's left. Apparently, everyone but me got whatever this bug is. Grits and dry toast for everyone :laugh:

Bonus question: You eat grits with sugar and butter? Or salt and pepper (and butter)? That question (and response) will get some seriously heated discussion going with some people :laugh:

I'm from the South. Salt, pepper and butter. I learned to eat them with sugar and butter in the Marines, but will default to Southern. The way Grandma made them. With bacon bits :)

90% butter salt and pepper with dippy eggs and bacon!
But sometimes creamy grits with butter and sugar just hits the spot

I prefer real grits you have to know how to cook not as big of a fan of the instant kind. I am picky about some things.

Gunny
09-21-2021, 09:47 AM
90% butter salt and pepper with dippy eggs and bacon!
But sometimes creamy grits with butter and sugar just hits the spot

I prefer real grits you have to know how to cook not as big of a fan of the instant kind. I am picky about some things.I don't know if we even have an instant grits. I don't care for them. Cook them in a pot and use butter to adjust the thickness.

Now I'm hungry :laugh:

NT'sGirl
09-21-2021, 09:50 AM
I don't know if we even have an instant grits. I don't care for them. Cook them in a pot and use butter to adjust the thickness.

Now I'm hungry :laugh:

Meeeee too!
I think I only have polenta in the house... my have to send the kid to the store
But fried polenta sounds pretty good right now too.

Gunny
09-21-2021, 10:12 AM
Meeeee too!
I think I only have polenta in the house... my have to send the kid to the store
But fried polenta sounds pretty good right now too.If these kids were old enough to send to the store just about every problem I have with today would be solved :laugh:

NT'sGirl
09-21-2021, 10:18 AM
If these kids were old enough to send to the store just about every problem I have with today would be solved :laugh:

:laugh2:
Could be the post op better living through chemistry but you have made me laugh a lot today thank you:coffee:

Gunny
09-21-2021, 10:32 AM
Could be the post op better living through chemistry but you have made me laugh a lot today thank you:coffee:Awesome. My day is a trainwreck and it's entertaining the Hell out of you :laugh: At least someone's getting some good out of it. Glad I can be of service :)

NT'sGirl
09-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Awesome. My day is a trainwreck and it's entertaining the Hell out of you :laugh: At least someone's getting some good out of it. Glad I can be of service :)

:hug99::hug99:
I hope your day gets better

Gunny
09-21-2021, 11:21 AM
:hug99::hug99:
I hope your day gets betterty. It'll be okay. I'm the jarhead, remember? I function best when nothing is going right :laugh:

Gunny
09-21-2021, 11:59 AM
Speaking of ... The "special" "Frozen" (from the movie) stupid looking noodles that look like wagon wheels (don't ask ME what that has to do with the movie) and cost twice as much as to die for :rolleyes: I have this on good authority.

:laugh:

darin
09-22-2021, 08:32 AM
I think it's funny how we call it CHICKENNOODLE___soup....vs chicken NOOODLESOUP or chicken & noodle SOUP. I mean, the noodles are not made of chicken.

Gunny
09-22-2021, 09:54 AM
I think it's funny how we call it CHICKENNOODLE___soup....vs chicken NOOODLESOUP or chicken & noodle SOUP. I mean, the noodles are not made of chicken.I think calling it "chicken" anything is being rather gracious considering those three little slivers of meat they toss in the can. You got to hunt them down to get your protein :)

Abbey Marie
09-22-2021, 10:47 AM

I know I can stir it away. I'm leery of anything where the grease pool comes back before I can get a spoonful :laugh:

Gunny, do you eat bacon? That’s a grease extravaganza.

I don’t think I’ve ever had bad chicken soup. Canned or homemade, or from a diner, it’s all good to me. But I am a salt lover.

Gunny
09-22-2021, 11:02 AM
Gunny, do you eat bacon? That’s a grease extravaganza.

I don’t think I’ve ever had bad chicken soup. Canned or homemade, or from a diner, it’s all good to me. But I am a salt lover.Everybody knows that's different:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
09-22-2021, 11:04 AM
Everybody knows that's different:laugh2: