PDA

View Full Version : The Gunny Burger

Gunny
09-22-2021, 10:52 AM
Yes, I will be busting out the charcoal after I read my own thread. Just not possible not to :)

Unlike yucky, greasy chicken soup broth with the 10w-40 floating on top, the burger has to have fat. 70/30. Burger's got to have taste. I get a pound, and the rest of the family gets to split a pound :)

Grilled to a medium-well. Onion slices on top final turn. Cheese on top of the onion. Helps keep the onion in place.

Slice of beefsteak tomato

sliced, pickled jalapenos

Kosher dill slices -- the long ones, not the chips

buttered bun on grill long enough to toast it.

Whataburger mustard on the bun

Assemble and eat.

Now I realize most of yu probably make yours wrong, but that's how I make mine. Two if I'm REALLY hungry :)

Abbey Marie
09-22-2021, 11:07 AM
Onion under the cheese- genius!

Never heard of Whataburger mustard.

Gunny
09-22-2021, 11:14 AM
Onion under the cheese- genius!

Never heard of Whataburger mustard.

Whataburger is a Texas burger joint chain with delusion of grandeur. Been to one in Albuquerque and Cleveland, OH no less. People love their mustard and ketchup and it makes the burger for most people. So they bottle it and sell it at HEB (Texas grocery chain).

DQ here in Texas (yes, there is a difference -- depends who owns the franchise) is the bomb for burgers and the mustard is at least 50 or more percent of it. Have no idea what the actual difference is, but it's there.

NightTrain
09-22-2021, 11:14 AM
Where's your bacon, Marine??

Take 2 strips of high quality pepper bacon, wrap the burger in them side-by-side, put 2 toothpicks to keep them wrapped around the burger.

And yeah, the cheese holding the onion in place works very well, and helps seal in the onion flavor. And here I thought I was the world's first to discover this bit of genius. Are you tapped in to one of Jim's hidden cams he placed around my house for Bill Gates?

Gunny
09-22-2021, 11:23 AM

Take 2 strips of high quality pepper bacon, wrap the burger in them side-by-side, put 2 toothpicks to keep them wrapped around the burger.

And yeah, the cheese holding the onion in place works very well, and helps seal in the onion flavor. And here I thought I was the world's first to discover this bit of genius. Are you tapped in to one of Jim's hidden cams he placed around my house for Bill Gates?

I'm not partial to bacon on my burgers. I'm going to try that though. My daughter likes it.

Here's more genius, if you don't know: When I clean the grill, I cut a white onion in half and use the onion to clean the cooking grill. Not something I would think of (forget where I learned it) but it works remarkably well as a cleaning "tool" and the only residue taste-wise is onion. Then you can slice off the part you cleaned with and throw the rest on the grill.

I thought I invented the cheese, onion-holder. That onion needs to stay right where I put it for each and every bite :)

Gunny
09-22-2021, 11:37 AM
I forgot one of the most important parts: Given my 'druthers, I'll cook with wood. That was back in the day when I used to try and turn this into an art form. More often though, I use either mesquite or hickory charcoal . Chips I soak in water then toss in foil and just toss it on the grill after the fire is down to coals.

SassyLady
09-22-2021, 01:03 PM
Pretty sure you guys are going give me shit about this .. I don't like grilled onion or cheese on my burgers. I like a slice of raw red onion, tomatoe, extra dill pickle (long ones like Gunny, called stackers), lettuce, horseradish mustard, fresh jalapeņo on the side (hate pickled peppers). I like the meat cooked medium ... not well done.

And, or course some French fries or potatoes salad on the side.

fj1200
09-22-2021, 01:54 PM
^Cheese belongs nowhere near a burger IMO. At least in the Gunny Burger it serves a useful function.

Gunny
09-22-2021, 07:52 PM
^Cheese belongs nowhere near a burger IMO. At least in the Gunny Burger it serves a useful function.That's why you get the Oscar Mayer. Just saying :)

Kathianne
09-22-2021, 07:56 PM
I like just about anything on my burger. I too use the cheese trick, pickles under it too.

icansayit
09-22-2021, 09:02 PM
Back in the 60's, before I went into the navy. My oldest cousin from Reading, and WWII veteran who served in Germany following the war introduced our family to HIS version of a PA Dutch Burger.

Like everybody else has described here. He included the bacon, pickles, cheese and ADDED

GOLDEN MUSTARD (like you'd get on a hotdog at a ball game back then).

His trick was...COATING THE BURGER with the Mustard while still on the grill, or in the pan. NO OVEN, that took out the juices.

It was really GOOD.

Gunny
09-23-2021, 09:35 AM
Back in the 60's, before I went into the navy. My oldest cousin from Reading, and WWII veteran who served in Germany following the war introduced our family to HIS version of a PA Dutch Burger.

Like everybody else has described here. He included the bacon, pickles, cheese and ADDED

His trick was...COATING THE BURGER with the Mustard while still on the grill, or in the pan. NO OVEN, that took out the juices.

It was really GOOD.
Y'all should KNOW even if you ain't taking notes, I am :)

Definitely going to try this one. I don't have to share the mustard around here which means more for me (cliche, I know) :)

Abbey Marie
09-23-2021, 01:17 PM
Pretty sure you guys are going give me shit about this .. I don't like grilled onion or cheese on my burgers. I like a slice of raw red onion, tomatoe, extra dill pickle (long ones like Gunny, called stackers), lettuce, horseradish mustard, fresh jalapeņo on the side (hate pickled peppers). I like the meat cooked medium ... not well done.

And, or course some French fries or potatoes salad on the side.

Actually, this is one of the very few times I like raw onion. Another is with Nova salmon (lox) and bagels, when you must smoosh the capers into the creamed cheese to keep the capers from falling out of the bagel. Akin to Gunny’s cheese-trapped onion.

It really enhances the burger like nothing else. I forgot…

Abbey Marie
09-23-2021, 01:18 PM

It was really GOOD.

Mustard = best condiment evuh.

Mika-El
09-23-2021, 02:46 PM

Ok either way I would love it and its worth the clogged arteries. Am I allowed to say add ketchup or is that communist..man I am hungry reading this.

Gunny
09-24-2021, 02:06 PM
Ok either way I would love it and its worth the clogged arteries. Am I allowed to say add ketchup or is that communist..man I am hungry reading this.talk about starting a vaccine debate Mika-El :laugh:

I don't like ketchup. Most everyone else in the World does.

The cool thing about burgers is unless one just doesn't like burgers (now THAT is communist :)), everyone can pretty much get what they want. Even people that don't like cheese :whistling2: Have to cook those WAY over to one side :)

NT'sGirl
09-24-2021, 02:13 PM

:)

My love for you grows everyday ❤ lol.
The closest thing to ketchup I like is homemade thousand island with extra hot sauce.

Mustard is a must for me was going through the fridge today and found 6 kinds of mustard.

Side note to the perfect burger if you salt the onion and let them wilt a bit... that is my favorite.

Gunny
09-24-2021, 02:22 PM
My love for you grows everyday ❤ lol.
The closest thing to ketchup I like is homemade thousand island with extra hot sauce.

Mustard is a must for me was going through the fridge today and found 6 kinds of mustard.

Side note to the perfect burger if you salt the onion and let them wilt a bit... that is my favorite.Adding that to my notes :)

As an aside, this thread is cracking me up. I post article after article just to try and help Jimbob keep some fresh news on the board, and they just disappear down the screen. I mean for years. Not just this board either.

Post a thread on burgers and get mileage. Go figure :laugh:

JakeStarkey
09-24-2021, 02:49 PM
Gunny, I am sure your burgers are wondeful.

I am just saying that DQ made a burger for me last Wednesday that was amazing.

Fast food is my folly and my jolly, as well.

Gunny
09-24-2021, 02:57 PM
Gunny, I am sure your burgers are wondeful.

I am just saying that DQ made a burger for me last Wednesday that was amazing.

Fast food is my folly and my jolly, as well.I mentioned DQ way up at the beginning. I love DQ here. Triple with pickles, mustard and onions :)

Fast food is not my folly anymore. I'm as big as I was size-wise, but 20 lbs less weight-wise. Can attribute it to only two changes in lifestyle: I quit drinking and I quit eating fast food. When I was still working as an electrician, I was a Mexican food junkie.

The food costs too much anymore and the drinking was costing me too much in other ways. A fast food dinner for 3 grandkids, the daughter and myself is about $60. I can grill it for about $15-ish.

NT'sGirl
09-24-2021, 03:00 PM
Post a thread on burgers and get mileage. Go figure :laugh:

The perfect burger is very important!

Burgers are not fast food in my world, most of my life it has started with tipping a critter over then breaking out the grinder.

And I guarantee you have never had a burger as fantastic as my blueberry black bear bacon burger. Even people who don't like bacon or bear love that one.
Just ask NT he can tell you

Gunny
09-24-2021, 03:14 PM

Burgers are not fast food in my world, most of my life it has started with tipping a critter over then breaking out the grinder.

And I guarantee you have never had a burger as fantastic as my blueberry black bear bacon burger. Even people who don't like bacon or bear love that one.
Just ask NT he can tell youI'm pondering that. I'm country enough that the "pet" became dinner when he was old enough, but not straight up wilderness :laugh:

So what kind of chees do you put on that Yogi burger?:laugh:

NT'sGirl
09-24-2021, 03:48 PM
I'm pondering that. I'm country enough that the "pet" became dinner when he was old enough, but not straight up wilderness :laugh:

So what kind of chees do you put on that Yogi burger?:laugh:

All our pets had names like ham, sausage or New Yorks.
But we supplemented pets with wild game.

For the triple B I actually prefer no cheese but gouda, havarti or a good gru is good . I am a cheese snob

Abbey Marie
09-24-2021, 06:23 PM

Just ask NT he can tell you

Haven’t had this, but I can’t imagine they are better than your Yak burgers.

:beer:

SassyLady
09-24-2021, 06:34 PM
I mentioned DQ way up at the beginning. I love DQ here. Triple with pickles, mustard and onions :)

Fast food is not my folly anymore. I'm as big as I was size-wise, but 20 lbs less weight-wise. Can attribute it to only two changes in lifestyle: I quit drinking and I quit eating fast food. When I was still working as an electrician, I was a Mexican food junkie.

The food costs too much anymore and the drinking was costing me too much in other ways. A fast food dinner for 3 grandkids, the daughter and myself is about $60. I can grill it for about $15-ish.

I'm a Mexican food junkie as well. Stopped at food cart today and got a Sonoran hotdog as a snack.

NightTrain
09-24-2021, 06:42 PM
Here's one that everyone should try at least once... discovered this preparing for a camping trip :

Make your hamburger patty, season both sides as normal.

Take aluminum foil, lay 2 straps of almost-cooked bacon on it.

Put the patty on the bacon, put a slice of onion on the top, fold the bacon over the top so that the patty is wrapped.

Fold the aluminum foil over the burger, folding the ends over each other so that it's completely sealed.

Cook in burger over the fire, in the oven or in a bbq... the flavor of everything is multiplied exponentially. It's crazy good.

You'll want to remove the burger and let drain on some paper towels because there will be a lot of grease inside the foil... but holy cow! It's really good.

Abbey Marie
09-24-2021, 11:02 PM
We eat only turkey burgers, turkey bacon and turkey sausage.
Don’t hate me, but I am going to try these recipes with the aforementioned substitute meat.
@darin (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=19) we need your cooking input.

NT'sGirl
09-24-2021, 11:22 PM
We eat only turkey burgers, turkey bacon and turkey sausage. .

And yak.

Abbey Marie
09-24-2021, 11:29 PM
And yak.

Haha, and yak.

Mr. P
09-25-2021, 02:13 AM
Here's one that everyone should try at least once... discovered this preparing for a camping trip :

Make your hamburger patty, season both sides as normal.

Take aluminum foil, lay 2 straps of almost-cooked bacon on it.

Put the patty on the bacon, put a slice of onion on the top, fold the bacon over the top so that the patty is wrapped.

Fold the aluminum foil over the burger, folding the ends over each other so that it's completely sealed.

Cook in burger over the fire, in the oven or in a bbq... the flavor of everything is multiplied exponentially. It's crazy good.

You'll want to remove the burger and let drain on some paper towels because there will be a lot of grease inside the foil... but holy cow! It's really good.

We did similar in The Boy Scouts years ago.

We called it HoBo dinner.

It was a hambuger patty, usualy with potato (cubed) and carrots, onion.

Wrap it all tight, place on the campfire coals.

Loved it !

There's just something differant about cooking on a camp fire.

Gunny
09-25-2021, 05:00 PM
We did similar in The Boy Scouts years ago.

We called it HoBo dinner.

It was a hambuger patty, usualy with potato (cubed) and carrots, onion.

Wrap it all tight, place on the campfire coals.

Loved it !

There's just something different about cooking on a camp fire.When we were in Boy Scouts we still had full uniforms, were all boys, and were allowed to carry knives and play with fire :)

If I am correct, none of the above is true anymore.

For cooking over a fire my favorite trick is: Steak on a stick. No fuss, no muss, no cleanup. Eat it off the stick (K-Bar).

For stuff like burgers (that can fall apart or have toppings fall off -- foil it up as everyone else states, then put it in one of those shrimp baskets Home Depot sells. Lousy for shrimp, but works for just about any meat. I'll turn it almost constantly.

Nothing like a fire :halo9:

Russ
09-26-2021, 08:37 AM
Shouldn't this thread be full of close-up pictures of just grilled burgers with cheese, bacon, onion, pickle, and all kinds of other fixings sitting on top? And a beer positioned just to one side? Just sayin'

Abbey Marie
09-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Shouldn't this thread be full of close-up pictures of just grilled burgers with cheese, bacon, onion, pickle, and all kinds of other fixings sitting on top? And a beer positioned just to one side? Just sayin'

Russ
09-26-2021, 02:23 PM
Ahhh, thank you! :cool:

Gunny
09-27-2021, 10:54 AM
Shouldn't this thread be full of close-up pictures of just grilled burgers with cheese, bacon, onion, pickle, and all kinds of other fixings sitting on top? And a beer positioned just to one side? Just sayin'Typical. Give you a topic and there's always that "one" private that wants pics :laugh:

Mika-El
09-28-2021, 03:29 PM
talk about starting a vaccine debate @Mika-El (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=4486) :laugh:

The cool thing about burgers is unless one just doesn't like burgers (now THAT is communist :)), everyone can pretty much get what they want. Even people that don't like cheese :whistling2: Have to cook those WAY over to one side :)

Got it. Lol!

fj1200
06-15-2022, 08:26 AM
Something I learned in Israel. Your burger is not kosher. Does anyone know why?

Yes, I will be busting out the charcoal after I read my own thread. Just not possible not to :)

Unlike yucky, greasy chicken soup broth with the 10w-40 floating on top, the burger has to have fat. 70/30. Burger's got to have taste. I get a pound, and the rest of the family gets to split a pound :)

Grilled to a medium-well. Onion slices on top final turn. Cheese on top of the onion. Helps keep the onion in place.

Slice of beefsteak tomato

sliced, pickled jalapenos

Kosher dill slices -- the long ones, not the chips

buttered bun on grill long enough to toast it.

Whataburger mustard on the bun

Assemble and eat.

Now I realize most of yu probably make yours wrong, but that's how I make mine. Two if I'm REALLY hungry :)

Hint: It's in the third line.

Because cheese on the burger.

“Do not cook a kid in its mother's milk”

Kathianne
06-15-2022, 09:31 AM
Something I learned in Israel. Your burger is not kosher. Does anyone know why?

Hint: It's in the third line.

Because cheese on the burger.

“Do not cook a kid in its mother's milk”
I was going to say 'cheese' but you beat me.