PDA

View Full Version : N.C. hospital system fires about 175 workers

jimnyc
09-28-2021, 01:20 PM
Some have different reasons as to why these folks at hospitals and medical buildings shouldn't be fired. Some of them actually make sense and some don't.

But the fact is - if it were a private business, they can fire you for not wearing a purple shirt that day. And in hospitals and places that may be unionized, then it depends on what the contracts cover. They obviously don't have anything in there stating they are exempt from vaccines and such. In fact, in most states, many vaccines are mandatory by law for such workers.

And liability perhaps being the biggest. Someone comes in with a broken arm. They catch covid-19 while there & then die there as well. Will the hospital have liability in this issue? Or medical buildings?

Or maybe they don't want to deal with unvaccinated issues, make sense or not. Their right as a business.

I can make an argument for both sides. But the liability issues & the fact that it's their business to run and their issues to handle if they arise... And short of a lawsuit and a judge overturning...

I will say - people absolutely 100% should have the right to get this vaccine or not. Unfortunately, employers have rights as well to do what they think is best for their business.

---

N.C. hospital system fires about 175 workers in one of the largest-ever mass terminations due to a vaccine mandate

A North Carolina-based hospital system announced Monday that roughly 175 unvaccinated employees were fired for failing to comply with the organization’s mandatory coronavirus vaccination policy, the latest in a series of health-care dismissals over coronavirus immunization.

Novant Health said last week that 375 unvaccinated workers — across 15 hospitals and 800 clinics — had been suspended for not getting immunized. Unvaccinated employees were given five days to comply.

Novant Health spokeswoman Megan Rivers tweeted Monday that almost 200 of the suspended workers, including those who had submitted approved exemptions, received their first dose by Friday. The hospital confirmed that the rest of the suspended employees who did not comply were fired, although the exact number of those dismissed was not specified.

“We stand by our decision to make the vaccine mandatory as we have a responsibility to protect our patients, visitors and team members, regardless of where they are in our health system,” Novant Health said in a statement. “We couldn’t be prouder of our team members who made the choice to receive the covid-19 vaccine and remain part of our team at Novant Health.”

Rivers told The Washington Post that more than 99 percent of the system’s roughly 35,000 employees have followed the mandatory vaccination program. She said in a statement that Novant Health was “thrilled” those who chose to be vaccinated have given patients and visitors “better protection against COVID-19 regardless of where they are in our health system.”

The mass termination of unvaccinated hospital system employees is among the largest of its kind to date. More than 150 health-care workers who did not comply with a vaccine mandate at Houston Methodist — one of the first health systems to require the coronavirus shots — were fired or resigned in June after a federal judge upheld the policy. ChristianaCare, a Delaware health system, announced this week that 150 employees were fired for not adhering to its vaccine mandate.

Rest - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nc-hospital-system-fires-about-175-workers-in-one-of-the-largest-ever-mass-terminations-due-to-a-vaccine-mandate/ar-AAOUXBa

Gunny
09-28-2021, 01:44 PM
I think any reasonable person can argue both for and against. The problem is there isn't a right answer and everyone is demanding one.

That's a lot of healthcare workers to dump in the middle of a pandemic. Bet the people that stay get mandatory overtime or they get fired too.

jimnyc
09-28-2021, 02:12 PM
I think any reasonable person can argue both for and against. The problem is there isn't a right answer and everyone is demanding one.

That's a lot of healthcare workers to dump in the middle of a pandemic. Bet the people that stay get mandatory overtime or they get fired too.

I can easily make an argument for either side. But at the end of the day, it's their business and they can make such decisions, perfect or not.

Gunny
09-28-2021, 02:18 PM
I can easily make an argument for either side. But at the end of the day, it's their business and they can make such decisions, perfect or not.I agree. I just keep taking in the situation looking for just a break even point and can't find one. The extremes of both sides are making it impossible.

Meanwhile, the people caught between the to extremes are the ones having to suffer.