PDA

View Full Version : Prayer and the president's veto

Yurt
09-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Bush vows to veto insurance expansion

WASHINGTON - President Bush insisted to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Friday that he's going ahead with his promised veto of a major expansion of a children's health program despite its overwhelming approval by Congress

Pelosi, D-Calif., said she told Bush in a morning phone call that she was praying he would change his mind. "I think I have to pray a little harder," she told reporters moments later, at a Capitol ceremony where Democrats celebrated passage of the proposed $35 billion increase in the State Children's Health Insurance Program.

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070928/ap_on_go_pr_wh/children_s_health)

What has prayer to do with the president's veto? This from the same party that wants to banish God from politics entirely?

Guernicaa
09-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Bush vows to veto insurance expansion

WASHINGTON - President Bush insisted to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Friday that he's going ahead with his promised veto of a major expansion of a children's health program despite its overwhelming approval by Congress

Pelosi, D-Calif., said she told Bush in a morning phone call that she was praying he would change his mind. "I think I have to pray a little harder," she told reporters moments later, at a Capitol ceremony where Democrats celebrated passage of the proposed $35 billion increase in the State Children's Health Insurance Program.

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070928/ap_on_go_pr_wh/children_s_health)

What has prayer to do with the president's veto? This from the same party that wants to banish God from politics entirely?
It's sort of a figure of speech.
"I can only pray he doesn't do that" doesn't mean the person is always litteraly praying. Its to exaggerate the point that you really hope for something.

Nice try though Yurt.

Monkeybone
09-28-2007, 07:36 PM
if she would have said it like that, or 'hope' then i would've supported ya Obama. or cross her fingers. but she siad pray. but that doesn't mean a bad thing either, just because she is a demo doesn't mean that she can't pray for something

09-29-2007, 05:18 AM
I am so glad he is vetoing this bill. its such a crock.

Joe Steel
09-29-2007, 05:20 AM
She should pray for a spine while she's at it.

09-29-2007, 05:23 AM
She should pray for a spine while she's at it.

Well she would need to pray for a brain first.

Yurt
09-29-2007, 01:31 PM
It's sort of a figure of speech.
"I can only pray he doesn't do that" doesn't mean the person is always litteraly praying. Its to exaggerate the point that you really hope for something.

Nice try though Yurt.

Let's educate obama on speech:

Pelosi, D-Calif., said she told Bush in a morning phone call that she was praying he would change his mind. "I think I have to pray a little harder,"

Praying is a verb :poke: which she states that she needs to pray harder. Not a figure of speech at all, she expressly states that 1. she prayed, and 2. she needs to pray some more, this time a little harder.

Nice try munchkin...

5stringJeff
09-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Bush should veto this bill. It's an expansion of Democrat-sponsored universal health care, and it's bad for the nation.