PDA

View Full Version : Iraq vet plans to return his medals in protest

stephanie
09-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Sound familar? Wonder when he is going to run for office..:rolleyes:

By Ryan J. Foley - The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Sep 26, 2007 22:29:46 EDT

MADISON, Wis. — An Iraq war veteran said Tuesday he is returning his military medals in what anti-war groups are calling a rare and powerful protest.

Josh Gaines, 27, plans to mail the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and National Defense Service Medal to former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. He said he will do so during a protest scheduled for Wednesday in Madison.

“I’m going to give those back because I truly feel that I did not defend my nation and I did not help with the Global War on Terrorism,” said Gaines, who lives in Madison. “If anything, this conflict has bred more terrorism in the Middle East.”

Gaines served a yearlong tour in Iraq between 2004 and 2005 with the U.S. Army Reserve. He spent his time guarding two military bases and issuing ammunition to soldiers but never fired a weapon, he said.

The experience convinced him the war was a mistake and that a steady withdrawal of troops was the right course of action, Gaines said.

“To be quite honest, I felt like we wasted taxpayers’ money,” he said. “The mission just didn’t seem correct and right for that time.”

Jonathan Dedering, a Students for a Democratic Society activist who is helping organize Wednesday’s protest, said it’s extremely rare for Iraq veterans to return their medals. The tactic was a more common form of protest among Vietnam veterans.

“To many Americans this will be a very big deal,” Dedering said in an e-mail message.

A member of Iraq Veterans Against the War agreed.

“I don’t know any soldiers who have served in Iraq and have returned their medals,” said Sholom Keller, who served in the U.S. Army in Iraq and has decided to hang on to his medals. “I personally am not into theatrical displays, but I would say that this individual’s actions are commendable.”

Snip:
Gaines said he was given an “other than honorable” discharge after failing a drug test. He said he started smoking marijuana after he returned from Iraq to help him eat and sleep after he had trouble doing either for months.

read the whole article at..
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/09/ap_givebackmedals_070925/

Sir Evil
09-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Gaines served a yearlong tour in Iraq between 2004 and 2005 with the U.S. Army Reserve. He spent his time guarding two military bases and issuing ammunition to soldiers but never fired a weapon, he said.

Nuff said...

Monkeybone
09-28-2007, 07:38 PM
if he felt like he didn't do a thing ro that nothing matted or happened....then why did he have to do drugs to help him get to sleep?

Gaffer
09-28-2007, 07:38 PM
He got an other than honorable discharge. He's a druggie. He was a reservist and was a REMF.

Guess what? He doesn't have any medals worth returning. He's returning the give away medals.

darin
09-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Right - Twood be like me returning my Army Service Ribbon. lol :) He's a bafoon.

retiredman
09-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Right - Twood be like me returning my Army Service Ribbon. lol :) He's a bafoon.

when an army service ribbon is all you got, it does mean something, however piddling.:lol:

darin
09-28-2007, 08:58 PM
when an army service ribbon is all you got, it does mean something, however piddling.:lol:

Is all I got? Oh! What a BURN. WOW! Your intellect and wit are stunning.

:cuckoo::puke3:

(sigh).

retiredman
09-28-2007, 10:11 PM
did I forget to mention you sharpshooter medal? please forgive me Mr. Moderate moderator man.:laugh2: