PDA

View Full Version : House Votes To Suspend Debt Limit

Gunny
09-30-2021, 02:15 PM
Here's an idea: take that 3.5T and pay down the already existing deficit. Pay cuts for Congress. Perk cuts for Congress. ANd may as well just rescind pay for Biden and Harris while we're making a wish list. Put all those damned politicians on the same economy the rest of us live on. Tunes would change.

Tensions are heating up on Capitol Hill as the debt ceiling suspension plan heads to the Senate. The House voted to suspend the national debt limit until December 17. The bill was passed 219-to-212 along mostly partisan lines Wednesday night.
On the House floor, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) scolded Republicans for opposing the bill and claimed they put the country in a dangerous position.
“The kitchen table concerns. How are they going to pay the bills?” she asked. “Well, now the interest rate will be higher if the Republicans prevail. That is why today we will pass the suspension of the debt limit. Democrats are for the people and will never let the full faith and credit of the United States be questioned.”
Meanwhile, Republican Rep. Carol Miller (R-W.Va.) also spoke on the floor Wednesday and said raising the debt ceiling would enable more Democrat reckless spending.
“My colleagues cross the aisle want to raise the dect ceiling to pay for their $3.5 trillion tax and spending spree. In my home state of West Virginia and across the country, people are paying more for gas, groceries and other everyday items because of the liberals’ reckless spending.”

Miller went on to add, most Americans do not support Democrat efforts to raise the debt ceiling.
“Taxpayers are sick of footing the bill for the terrible policies which continue to make the problem of inflation even worse. Americans shouldn’t have to pay for the consequences of Democrats’ out of touch actions.”
The vote came as Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) announced plans to introduce a “continuing resolution,” or stopgap bill, that would keep the government funded through early December. He noted the bill would include funding for natural disaster relief and helping resettle Afghan refugees. Schumer said even once the government is funded, the issue of the debt ceiling must still be addressed.
“With so many critical issues to address, the last thing the American people need right now is a government shutdown,” he stated. “This proposal will prevent one from happening and I want to thank my colleagues who are working quickly to prepare this legislation.”
Republicans have indicated they would support a “clean” resolution that doesn’t include a debt limit provision. it’s unclear how soon the vote would come as funding is set to expire at midnight Thursday.
https://www.oann.com/house-rules-committee-expected-to-set-up-vote-on-debt-ceiling/