PDA

View Full Version : Advertising adultery

09-29-2007, 05:46 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5679613

People are protesting a billboard advertising a website encouraging and facilitating adultery. What is this world coming to?

KarlMarx
09-29-2007, 08:35 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5679613

People are protesting a billboard advertising a website encouraging and facilitating adultery. What is this world coming to?
Some people don't have a conscience while others seem to be more concerned about the fate of a distant rain forest than their neighbor.

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Some people don't have a conscience while others seem to be more concerned about the fate of a distant rain forest than their neighbor.

Caring about a tree is pretty safe when compared to caring about another human being. Some people are too afraid to be hurt.

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Caring about a tree is pretty safe when compared to caring about another human being. Some people are too afraid to be hurt. Tis true, but I am not sure this has to do with Advertising Adultery, the topic of this thread Dillo?

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Tis true, but I am not sure this has to do with Advertising Adultery, the topic of this thread Dillo?

oh --my bad. You mean that someone is being honest about how they are making their bucks is wrong?

KarlMarx
09-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Tis true, but I am not sure this has to do with Advertising Adultery, the topic of this thread Dillo?
if you've ever been the victim of adultery (yes, I use the word "victim" deliberately), you wouldn't say "it doesn't hurt anyone"... it certainly does... especially if children are involved.

I believe that, whenever an affair causes a divorce that the "third party" should also be held accountable (especially in the $$$$ department). Will it be enforceable, not very. Will it stop adultery, no.... but I'm sure it will give some people a reason to think twice about it. That's just my opinion, I'm sure you can shoot it full of holes.

truthmatters
09-29-2007, 09:47 AM
I think we can care about all these issues. I agree this company is being callous to human suffering. I think speaking out against it is good for our society. I also think trying to protect our enviroment is also good.

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 09:52 AM
I think we can care about all these issues. I agree this company is being callous to human suffering. I think speaking out against it is good for our society. I also think trying to protect our enviroment is also good.

You are going to blame this company for causing human suffering?

diuretic
09-29-2007, 09:52 AM

Damnit you beat me to it AND I can't rep you.

Folks, we can care about many things, care isn't rationed.

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 09:55 AM
if you've ever been the victim of adultery (yes, I use the word "victim" deliberately), you wouldn't say "it doesn't hurt anyone"... it certainly does... especially if children are involved.

I believe that, whenever an affair causes a divorce that the "third party" should also be held accountable (especially in the $$$$ department). Will it be enforceable, not very. Will it stop adultery, no.... but I'm sure it will give some people a reason to think twice about it. That's just my opinion, I'm sure you can shoot it full of holes.

karl...i was just engaging dillo in to more conversation.

i do not, in any way, disagree with your sentiments regarding this...i'm sorry if i implied otherwise.. :(

jd

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 10:09 AM

This company is making a buck off of people who are willing to spend it to have extramarital sex. Dare I use the old mantra about teaching sex in school. They are going to do it anyway?

truthmatters
09-29-2007, 10:14 AM
This company is making a buck off of people who are willing to spend it to have extramarital sex. Dare I use the old mantra about teaching sex in school. They are going to do it anyway?

The best way to teach kids about sex is with the truth. We need to teach them all the consequences of their actions and how to stay healthy and not spread disease. Teaching them the real consequences will teach them how to make the best decisions. Information is power.

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 10:22 AM
The best way to teach kids about sex is with the truth. We need to teach them all the consequences of their actions and how to stay healthy and not spread disease. Teaching them the real consequences will teach them how to make the best decisions. Information is power.

The billboard is merely giving out information. Is that power?

truthmatters
09-29-2007, 10:43 AM
And the people standing up and saying they dont like the information the BB displays are also giving out information. Freedom of speach works pretty well huh?

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 10:46 AM
And the people standing up and saying they dont like the information the BB displays are also giving out information. Freedom of speach works pretty well huh?

When applied fairly it works great.

truthmatters
09-29-2007, 10:48 AM
You bet , Im glad to find we agree.

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 11:00 AM
You bet , Im glad to find we agree.

It works pretty well until somene feels unfairly criticized, offended or hurt by free speech. Everyone wants to draw their own line.

truthmatters
09-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I think it works in those situations too.

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 11:15 AM
I think it works in those situations too.

You mean like when the minutemen we asked to speak and were shouted off the stage? I don't think that worked real well.

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Adultery is still against the law in every state I believe....?

This is an advertisement to break the law, in the very least, don't you think?

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 11:26 AM

This is an advertisement to break the law, in the very least, don't you think?

So ? It's free speech.

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 11:40 AM
So ? It's free speech.

free speech has its limits, it can not promote a crime.... at least i don't believe it can, or should but I could be wrong on this.....? I know the kid in school lost his case that held the "bong hits for Jesus " banner outside of a school at a parade....

Missileman
09-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Only in about half of the states.

http://law.jrank.org/pages/4108/Adultery-Enforcement-Statutes.html

Although the District of Columbia and approximately half of the states continue to have laws on the books criminalizing adultery, these laws are rarely invoked.

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 12:19 PM

http://law.jrank.org/pages/4108/Adultery-Enforcement-Statutes.htmli stand corrected, interesting article mm.....thanks....

But do you know if adultery is illegal in the state that the billboard was set up in? i will try to find out....

jd

Dilloduck
09-29-2007, 12:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_this_Book

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 12:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_this_BookI am not sure, but do you think that the fact that one has to 'BUY" this book verses someone promoting on a billboard a message that was not paid for by those reading it is different and falls differently by the law? I don't know this and am will to stand corrected on this issue, one reason I like debate boards, I do learn new things.

jd

KarlMarx
09-29-2007, 01:22 PM
karl...i was just engaging dillo in to more conversation.

i do not, in any way, disagree with your sentiments regarding this...i'm sorry if i implied otherwise.. :(

jd
No apologies necessary! :)

09-29-2007, 01:22 PM

They were in the past. those laws have largely been done away with unfortunately.

09-29-2007, 01:23 PM

Seems a bit of a side topic, but how exactly does the environment change if you protest it?

KarlMarx
09-29-2007, 01:24 PM

http://law.jrank.org/pages/4108/Adultery-Enforcement-Statutes.html
Wow! I hope adultery isn't illegal in New York, because I'm an adult! :)

Mr. P
09-29-2007, 01:29 PM
I wonder if the same people protesting this BB have or would ever protest the local newspaper for publishing personal adds by people interested in adultery, or the dating sites on the web that do the same?

Is it really about content, or because it's just out there to be viewed seen by all?

I'm guessing if ya go to the site it ain't free..neither is the newspaper. So isn't this just 'advertising'?

09-29-2007, 01:38 PM

How are you teaching kids the truth about sex by telling them that if the put on a condom they will not face any negative consequences of it?

Missileman
09-29-2007, 01:48 PM
How are you teaching kids the truth about sex by telling them that if the put on a condom they will not face any negative consequences of it?

The possible negative consequences are disease and pregnancy. Telling kids they can improve their chances of avoiding those negative consequences by using a condom IS being truthful.

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I wonder if the same people protesting this BB have or would ever protest the local newspaper for publishing personal adds by people interested in adultery, or the dating sites on the web that do the same?

Is it really about content, or because it's just out there to be viewed seen by all?

I'm guessing if ya go to the site it ain't free..neither is the newspaper. So isn't this just 'advertising'?if memory serves, advertising to teens for alcohol and cigs were banned from tv ads for a pretty long time... hard alcohol was taken off public tv advertising....how would that fit in? perhaps it was the choice of the company but unsure?

if adultery is illegal in california, there could be the issue of promoting a crime?

people driving down the public highway with teens or kids in tow, did not pay to view this company's ad.....

if it were a private road, as internet is a paid service, cable tv is a paid service etc....so the ads come with the paid service.... then i don't think anyone paying for that service can complain....

this is a public freeway paid for with public money.....similar to the public's ownership of the public airwaves i would suppose?

truthmatters
09-29-2007, 02:11 PM

There are other negatives besides those two things and they should be told of them too.

Mr. P
09-29-2007, 04:12 PM
if memory serves, advertising to teens for alcohol and cigs were banned from tv ads for a pretty long time... hard alcohol was taken off public tv advertising....how would that fit in? perhaps it was the choice of the company but unsure?

if adultery is illegal in california, there could be the issue of promoting a crime?

people driving down the public highway with teens or kids in tow, did not pay to view this company's ad.....

if it were a private road, as internet is a paid service, cable tv is a paid service etc....so the ads come with the paid service.... then i don't think anyone paying for that service can complain....

this is a public freeway paid for with public money.....similar to the public's ownership of the public airwaves i would suppose?

The public doesn't own that billboard...Nor the airways.

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 06:25 PM
The public doesn't own that billboard...Nor the airways. no they don't own the billboard, they are the billboard's intentional audience.... we do own the freeway, we do own the airWAVES, in fact some are being sold off....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/09/tech/main1879487.shtml

the other airwaves are leased by cbs, nbc, abc etc....and by clearchannel etc on the radio, they are leasing our airwaves from us is how it was explained to me, is that not true mr. p?

and what does owning the land the billboard is on have to do with it....massage parlor prospect may own the land next to a school, that doesn't mean they can open a parlor or adult bookstore.... that is how it appears to me....

so if this billboard were directly in front of a public school, could it be forced to be taken down? or, because it was on prvt property in your analysis it would be permitted and nothing could stop it from going up there because free speech covered it? what if the billboard dipicted sex and nudity on this private property, but still plainly in the public's view from the public freeway?

can you see where i am going with this mr. p?

maybe u could explain further, what you are suggesting?

jd

Said1
09-29-2007, 06:35 PM
no they don't own the billboard, they are the billboard's intentional audience.... we do own the freeway, we do own the airWAVES, in fact some are being sold off....

the other airwaves are leased by cbs, nbc, abc etc....and by clearchannel etc on the radio, they are leasing our airwaves from us is how it was explained to me, is that not true mr. p?

and what does owning the land the billboard is on have to do with it....massage parlor prospect may own the land next to a school, that doesn't mean they can open a parlor or adult bookstore.... that is how it appears to me....

so if this billboard were directly in front of a public school, could it be forced to be taken down? or, because it was on prvt property in your analysis it would be permitted and nothing could stop it from going up there because free speech covered it? what if the billboard dipicted sex and nudity on this private property, but still plainly in the public's view from the public freeway?

jd

In cases where advertising content is the issue or certain business are in question, wouldn't that be a municipal thing?

JohnDoe
09-29-2007, 07:06 PM
In cases where advertising content is the issue or certain business are in question, wouldn't that be a municipal thing?

yes, i would imagine so, the city if it is one, or the county, or state.... i would imagine they have their own rules for things like this....

here is something I found on California that might put these bilboards in a category of promoting the breaking of Laws on the books...if the adulterer is using the family's money for his/her adulterous sexual escapades.....then the spouse that is divorcing them can demand repayment of half of these monies.... hahahaha.... but that is the best I can do so far on this... :)

SO WHERE MIGHT "ADULTEROUS BEHAVIOR" COME INTO PLAY IN FAMILY LAW?

Misappropriation: During marriage each spouse is charged with the duty to manage marital assets (including income) in a way which hopefully benefits, and, at a minimum, does not harm, the family. If one spouse takes money away from the family for a purpose contrary to the family, that is called a misappropriation. Spending community money on a girlfriend or boyfriend, especially expensive gifts, paying for rent or mortgage, or vacations can be deemed a misappropriation for which the "injured" party is entitled to reimbursement for one half of the funds spent, possibly with interest, from the date of the misappropriation.

Interspousal tort. Under non-criminal law, an intentional, unlawful and harmful or offensive contact by one person with the person of another may be considered "battery", for which damages (money) may be assessed. Should an extramarital affair result in the offending party contracting, and giving to the "innocent" party a sexually transmitted disease, that may constitute civil "battery". Such an action might need to be prosecuted in a separate civil action apart from the divorce case, but the two cases can be consolidated upon appropriate motion to the court.

Supported Spouse. Where one spouse is paying spousal support to the other, if the supported spouse thereafter "cohabits" with a member of the opposite sex, there is a rebuttable presumption that the supported person has a decreased need for spousal support. The supported spouse then has the burden of proving continued need. This does NOT, however, affect child support. cohabitation has been defined in cases over the years as being something more than roommates, probably requiring romantic involvement, but not necessarily sexual relations. The income of the new boyfriend or girlfriend or even a new spouse of the payor is irrelevant.

Mr. P
09-29-2007, 09:39 PM
no they don't own the billboard, they are the billboard's intentional audience.... we do own the freeway, we do own the airWAVES, in fact some are being sold off....

jd

Sure I see, yer going nowhere. There are zoning laws for property use, just like your own..you can't 'always' do what you wish with it. That doesn't make it 'public' property.

Show me please when this gov created the air waves and how they 'own' them. They do regulate them..ownership is false. Same as above.

JohnDoe
09-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Sure I see, yer going nowhere. There are zoning laws for property use, just like your own..you can't 'always' do what you wish with it. That doesn't make it 'public' property.

Show me please when this gov created the air waves and how they 'own' them. They do regulate them..ownership is false. Same as above.

Well, I suppose you are right on that mr.P however I still view them as an asset of the government -of we the people none the less though, aren't they?

so, any comments on the post above....about how adultery may have legal consequences, if the adulterer uses their family community money, to pay for these affairs that are offered on the billboard???

I thought it was an interesting angle, that is used, in California, a no-fault state... to go after the adulteror if the affair was with any kind of prostitution or paid services perhaps, like this site advertised on the Billboard?

I honestly have no dog in this hunt, I was just exploring all angles, and projecting what the community can do in which this effects....and IF I were on the side of banning it from view of the public's freeway.

I see where you are going with the zoning stuff.... and since there is probably not a restriction already on the books for the billboard's zone....then we can't, just by mob rule, take the Billboard down.... this is a very good point.

jd

gabosaurus
10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Money is power. Whatever earns money is OK for those who earn it.

GW in Ohio
10-01-2007, 01:03 PM

I think it's a little shocking that a company would actually advertise facilitating affairs. (Where else but in California, btw. That would never fly here in the Midwest, or in the South.)

But in the final analysis, I tend to agree with the company's Darren Morgenstern:

"You can't possibly convince somebody to act outside their moral code if that's just not what they are looking for," said Morgenstern.

Don't blame Oreo cookies and Krispy Kreme donuts if you're fat.

And don't blame Marlboros if you're hooked on cigarettes.

Take some responsibility for your life. Nobody's forcing anyone to have an affair. And this is a capitalist country, with a free market.

typomaniac
10-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow! I hope adultery isn't illegal in New York, because I'm an adult! :)

I think you should be more worried about the infantry being illegal there. :lol: