PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court won't consider whether states can require ID cards for sex offenders

JakeStarkey
10-05-2021, 03:51 AM
The case involved a Louisiana man, Tazin Hill, who challenged a state law that required him to carry an identification card that included the words "sex offender" in all-capital letters.

I agree that the state has the power to make such a law and enforce it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-won-t-consider-whether-states-can-require-id-n1280702

fj1200
10-05-2021, 07:13 AM
But Hill's lawyers said people required to carry the cards must display them much more often, "when checking out at the grocery store, withdrawing money from a bank teller, applying for new gym memberships," and during other routine transactions. That requirement, they said, does nothing to further the state's interest in protecting the public from repeat sex offenders.

A first amendment argument doesn't seem like it's the best approach to challenge the law. It does seem onerous though; almost every transaction subjected to having display yoiur Scarlet Letter.

Gunny
10-05-2021, 12:32 PM
A first amendment argument doesn't seem like it's the best approach to challenge the law. It does seem onerous though; almost every transaction subjected to having display yoiur Scarlet Letter.This is one of "those" topics that seems to have no right answer.

I would want to see the definition of "sex offender" first. There are people out there wearing that "brand" that probably don't deserve it. On the other hand, actual sex offenders (my def: peds, rapists) don't really deserve to breathe in my book. Not a very Constitutional opinion and/or Christian opinion :)

Whatever happened to:nnyou served your time and your debt to society is paid? In practice, it's the exact opposite. You're stuck with what you did. Get important enough and you "sealed" juvenile records will suddenly get "leaked".

IF the Supreme COurt ruled on this issue, it would pretty much be obliged to rule on voter ID. Just a thought.

fj1200
10-06-2021, 09:38 AM
I would want to see the definition of "sex offender" first. There are people out there wearing that "brand" that probably don't deserve it. On the other hand, actual sex offenders (my def: peds, rapists) don't really deserve to breathe in my book. Not a very Constitutional opinion and/or Christian opinion :)

No disagreement here. This guy in question was apparently 32 when he had sex with a 14 year old. That's... not right. On the other hand are the 19 year old having sex with 17 years old.... not so clear cut.

JakeStarkey
10-06-2021, 09:52 AM
No disagreement here. This guy in question was apparently 32 when he had sex with a 14 year old. That's... not right. On the other hand are the 19 year old having sex with 17 years old.... not so clear cut.

Excellent point.

In HS, I had hear of junior and seniors doing seventh and eighth graders. I did not think that was right.

fj1200
10-06-2021, 10:06 AM
Excellent point.

In HS, I had hear of junior and seniors doing seventh and eighth graders. I did not think that was right.

Yeah, that's wrong. I think Romeo and Juliet laws are attempting to take care of any egregious examples.

revelarts
10-06-2021, 10:11 AM
This is one of "those" topics that seems to have no right answer.

Whatever happened to:nnyou served your time and your debt to society is paid? In practice, it's the exact opposite. You're stuck with what you did. Get important enough and you "sealed" juvenile records will suddenly get "leaked".

IF the Supreme COurt ruled on this issue, it would pretty much be obliged to rule on voter ID. Just a thought.

agreed it's not an easy question.
And i do think that once you've paid your debt that should be it.
But I agree with you about the "don't really deserve to breathe" punishment.

But in lieu of that final solution my 2 cents is this.
If you're a convicted pedo. you got 2 choices life in prison Or mandatory 25 years in prison with the option of LIFE LONG PAROLE. With an ankle tracker or other tracker of some kind.
You're debt to society is NOT paid until you're dead.
same for serial rapist (like Wienstein and others)

A 1st or one offense rapist of adults get mandatory 15 years, afterward parole for 5 year With an ankle tracker or other tracker of some kind. If no other problems His/Her "debt is paid"

darin
10-06-2021, 10:24 AM
Putting that on the driver's licenses does NOTHING To keep the community safe because neighbors do not look at each others driver's licenses. What it does is alert people who have no need to know of somebody's already paid-debt-to-society. Bad call by SCOTUS. :(