PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article On Price Increases And Supply Chain

Kathianne
10-05-2021, 05:46 AM
It's been awhile since I spent money on a newspaper. I've been reading WSJ for a year, about 4 months ago I finally bit the bullet. One example of why: https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/the-facebook-files-part-6-the-whistleblower/b311b3d8-b50a-425f-9eb7-12a9c4278acd

Quick summary: because of chain problems coupled with rising costs, especially labor in costs and supply-companies are focusing on producing on-time middle to higher end products. This is especially evident in auto and appliance industries. For the first time in decades the average price of televisions is rising. They are focusing on offering fewer choices within price ranges, but producing more in the higher end products. Whether low or high end, the need the same components which are in a very limited supply.

Weber Grill's lower end grills are mostly made in China, their more costly ones in the US. With lock downs, higher end were in increasing demand. They are now setting those as priority for both labor and profit reasons.

GM is finding the same, limited chip availability, put those in middle to higher end. They are keeping their factory shifts going 24/7.

So when you are wondering why you can't find a 43" or 55" TV or a basic washer or oven, you now have your answer.