PDA

View Full Version : Covid-19: US airlines defy Texas order to stop mandatory jabs

Gunny
10-13-2021, 08:50 AM
Abbott certainly is doing a good job of having compliance monkeys shine a light on themselves. Perhaps he should have considered interstate employees before issue his blanket edict.

Two major US airlines have said they will not comply with an order from the Texas governor that bans companies from enforcing Covid-19 vaccinations.

American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, which are both based in Texas, will still require all their employees to get the jabs.

Last month, President Joe Biden said that staff of large companies must get vaccinated or face weekly testing (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58508547).

But Texas Governor Greg Abbott said vaccinations should "remain voluntary".

On Tuesday, Mr Abbott, who is a strong opponent of making Covid-19 jabs mandatory, issued an executive order banning all organisations, including private companies, from enforcing vaccinations in the state.

But American and Southwest Airlines have said they will stick with the federal order made by the president.

American Airlines told Bloomberg: "We believe the federal vaccine mandate supersedes any conflicting state laws, and this does not change anything for American."

Similarly, Southwest said it "would be expected to comply with the president's order to remain compliant as a federal contractor."

The companies are in a complicated situation because they have contracts with the federal government to transport employees and goods, but their headquarters are in Texas.

Under Joe Biden's sweeping changes, staff of all companies with more than 100 workers must be vaccinated by 8 December or agree to have regular tests, if they want to keep their jobs. There are limited exceptions.

Southwest CEO Gary Kelly told CNBC that it was about keeping people safe and employed.

"I've never been in favour of corporations imposing that kind of a mandate," he said.

"The objective here, obviously, is to improve health and safety, not for people to lose their jobs," Mr Kelly added.

When the changes were first announced by the president, both airlines said they would comply, and offered incentives such as extra pay for staff to get the shots.

American Airlines, the country's largest carrier, employs more than 130,500 people.

Southwest Airlines, which is the fourth largest airline in the US, employs 54,000 staff.

A business group based in Texas, the Greater Houston Partnership, which counts ExxonMobil, Chevron and J.P. Morgan as its members, has also said it will continue supporting the right of businesses to require staff to be vaccinated.

"The governor's executive order does not support Texas businesses' ability and duty to create a safe workplace," it said in a statement (https://www.houston.org/news/statement-gov-abbotts-covid-19-vaccine-mandate-executive-order).

"While the courts will likely decide the validity of this order, we encourage all employers to continue to promote the importance of vaccinations with their employees."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58894684

revelarts
10-13-2021, 10:46 AM
anarchy!
people deciding what laws to obey and not to obey.
thinking for themselves. there will be consequences.
Obviously the Gov should have the heads of the airlines arrested if they don't comply.
If they don't listen to the arresting officers they'll be resisting arrest and should be shot or have knees put in their necks for a few minutes to show them whose boss.

Gunny
10-13-2021, 11:02 AM
anarchy!
people deciding what laws to obey and not to obey.
thinking for themselves. there will be consequences.
Obviously the Gov should have the heads of the airlines arrested if they don't comply.
If they don't listen to the arresting officers they'll be resisting arrest and should be shot or have knees put in their necks for a few minutes to show them whose boss.He has so far taken everyone to court that hasn't complied with the law. He's been losing right and left. He's lost a lot of independent/moderate support within the state.

If his crusade results in a Dem Governor next year, this state will be f*cked.

There's a bigger picture than what *I* want. What do the People NEED? I suggest NOT Don Quixote.

SassyLady
10-14-2021, 12:09 PM
He has so far taken everyone to court that hasn't complied with the law. He's been losing right and left. He's lost a lot of independent/moderate support within the state.

If his crusade results in a Dem Governor next year, this state will be f*cked.

There's a bigger picture than what *I* want. What do the People NEED? I suggest NOT Don Quixote.
I guess I'm confused. It's Biden's he mandate a law now.

Gunny
10-14-2021, 02:15 PM
I guess I'm confused. It's Biden's he mandate a law now.Every time Biden mandates, Abbott follows with a "no Biden mandate EO".

Like it or not, the people here want LOCAL government to decide whether or not masks in school are mandatory, and whether or not vaccines are mandatory. Not people nowhere near the place and/or living amongst us mere mortals. You know, like conservatives are supposed to stand for.

I see no difference between Biden issuing blanket mandates and Abbott issuing blanket mandates. No, it's NOT okay IF it agrees with my argument. Abbott has taken the choice away from moderates and independents, not just fascist lefties.

There's a big picture here. For me and Texas, anyway. Sorry about everyone's individual woes, but keeping the entire state out of the hands of the destroyers of all things normal and good is more important. I don't want to end up with a Biden as Governor just because everyone is pissed at Abbott for HIS overreach. It has taken since the 70s to turn this state back around after Ann Richards put us into a depression.

Black Diamond
10-14-2021, 03:03 PM
Every time Biden mandates, Abbott follows with a "no Biden mandate EO".

Like it or not, the people here want LOCAL government to decide whether or not masks in school are mandatory, and whether or not vaccines are mandatory. Not people nowhere near the place and/or living amongst us mere mortals. You know, like conservatives are supposed to stand for.

I see no difference between Biden issuing blanket mandates and Abbott issuing blanket mandates. No, it's NOT okay IF it agrees with my argument. Abbott has taken the choice away from moderates and independents, not just fascist lefties.

There's a big picture here. For me and Texas, anyway. Sorry about everyone's individual woes, but keeping the entire state out of the hands of the destroyers of all things normal and good is more important. I don't want to end up with a Biden as Governor just because everyone is pissed at Abbott for HIS overreach. It has taken since the 70s to turn this state back around after Ann Richards put us into a depression.

Is beta male o'rourke running for governor there?

Gunny
10-14-2021, 04:59 PM
Is beta male o'rourke running for governor there?He's noncommittal at this time. I'm sure he's just waiting to see whether or not it's even worth the effort.

Governor is only the Executive. Even if oil money can purchase that spot, it doesn't have enough power and money to buy the people = Congress. Dead blue state refugees are piling into our blue cities so they can kill them like the ones they sucked dry and left, but it's sheer numbers. Just like everywhere else, the bureaucracy here is made up of leftwingnuts.

icansayit
10-14-2021, 05:20 PM
As I posted previously and have been Ignored.

https://npr.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/7b09d07/2147483647/strip/true/crop/400x400+0+0/resize/880x880!/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Flegacy%2Fsites%2Fnhp r%2Ffiles%2F201307%2F10-th-amend.jpg

Black Diamond
10-14-2021, 05:25 PM

https://npr.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/7b09d07/2147483647/strip/true/crop/400x400+0+0/resize/880x880!/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Flegacy%2Fsites%2Fnhp r%2Ffiles%2F201307%2F10-th-amend.jpg

I hadn't seen it

Black Diamond
10-14-2021, 05:34 PM
He's noncommittal at this time. I'm sure he's just waiting to see whether or not it's even worth the effort.

Governor is only the Executive. Even if oil money can purchase that spot, it doesn't have enough power and money to buy the people = Congress. Dead blue state refugees are piling into our blue cities so they can kill them like the ones they sucked dry and left, but it's sheer numbers. Just like everywhere else, the bureaucracy here is made up of leftwingnuts.

Yikes. Sounds terrifying

Gunny
10-14-2021, 05:38 PM

Sounds great. The US Civil War decided States' Rights. They don't have any if the Fed government says otherwise.

I don't disagree with the US Constitution. Matter of fact, one of my biggest problems is agreeing with it and not the government. Those ideals are only as good as those willing to enforce them.

icansayit
10-14-2021, 06:28 PM
Sounds great. The US Civil War decided States' Rights. They don't have any if the Fed government says otherwise.

I don't disagree with the US Constitution. Matter of fact, one of my biggest problems is agreeing with it and not the government. Those ideals are only as good as those willing to enforce them.

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights (first 10 amendments) ARE NOT IDEALS. They are THE LAW. So all of us must work harder to get rid of THOSE IN POLITICS, across the board...local, county, state and Federal to REPLACE all of those ELITES who fear losing their power.
Only thing is...we have to wait till 2022 to begin the turnover.

Gunny
10-14-2021, 06:54 PM
The Constitution and the Bill of Rights (first 10 amendments) ARE NOT IDEALS. They are THE LAW. So all of us must work harder to get rid of THOSE IN POLITICS, across the board...local, county, state and Federal to REPLACE all of those ELITES who fear losing their power.
Only thing is...we have to wait till 2022 to begin the turnover.When the government does not recognize nor enforce the law, they are ideals, written on paper. The paper is worth no more than it's enforcement.

To quote Billy Jack: "When lawmen break the law, there is no law".

Gunny
10-15-2021, 12:29 PM
SO Biden was on Fox News in my phone. He thinks his mandates are doing a good job. Really? I would argue from a state with "No Biden Mandates" mandates, that our surge in covid here had nothing to do with his vaccination/mask policies, nor has its recession.

In fact, Biden's mandates just made things worse for us. The consequence for his stupidity here is the People had the right to govern at the local level as appropriate for local conditions was completely taken away by two government entities having a pissing contest.