PDA

View Full Version : And still can’t get enough employees?

Abbey Marie
10-13-2021, 10:17 AM
Anyone who is able-bodied and still not working had better have a very good reason. Like no available day care, I suppose.

revelarts
10-13-2021, 10:39 AM
hmm, ok,
Seems like McDonald's (and other major food joints) CAN afford $15 - $21 minimum wage.
looks like they just didn't want to pay workers anymore after all.

Doesn't wage offers like these show the lie of the complaints about mandatory $15.00 x minimum wages.
Some (w biz lobbyist) on the right have complained to high heaven that it will RUIN business to pay wages the like this for such LOW SKILLED Jobs. Ruin the economy etc..
But it seems like the wages are NOT really a problem.

who'd a thunk it?

Gunny
10-13-2021, 11:09 AM
Anyone who is able-bodied and still not working had better have a very good reason. Like no available day care, I suppose.

13671If McDonald's was paying $21 here, I'd seriously debate that goofy outfit for that kind of pay.

As an aside, I've done the electrical, ground up, on enough McDonald's that I would be worth my weight in gold to an independent franchise owner :)

Abbey Marie
10-13-2021, 11:59 AM
hmm, ok,
Seems like McDonald's (and other major food joints) CAN afford $15 - $21 minimum wage.
looks like they just didn't want to pay workers anymore after all.

Doesn't wage offers like these show the lie of the complaints about mandatory $15.00 x minimum wages.
Some (w biz lobbyist) on the right have complained to high heaven that it will RUIN business to pay wages the like this for such LOW SKILLED Jobs. Ruin the economy etc..
But it seems like the wages are NOT really a problem.

who'd a thunk it?

I’m not sure you can draw that conclusion. These are desperate times for employers, and it may be a last ditch effort before closing down altogether due to lack of workers. And you can bet prices will go up a good bit to make up for the large salary costs.

Any comment on the point of the thread?

Kathianne
10-13-2021, 12:10 PM
I’m not sure you can draw that conclusion. These are desperate times for employers, and it may be a last ditch effort before closing down altogether due to lack of workers. And you can bet prices will go up a good bit to make up for the large salary costs.

Yep, when the recover, if they do, they'll mechanize the Jobs wherever possible.

Gunny
10-13-2021, 12:13 PM

Just thought I'd point out no one's going to get $21 an hour here to flip burgers. Maybe $10. What bothers me about headlines like this is, $21. is a LOT of money here. For menial labor, anyway.

There is no flat economy in the US, The media knows this. So does the government. Yet both continue to play as if everyone pays what NYC, Chicago and Seattle do. On my wages here, I couldn't rent a square on the sidewalk in a back alley in NYC. Economies are regional. You can bet when the government is doling out raises for social security they don't forget that. Probably us the cost of living from Amarillo :rolleyes:.

I don't understand the work thing. I've done a little of everything, especially before I joined the military, just to have money to eat and a place to sleep. In fact, I ended up joining the Marine Corps for that very reason. That's how bad the economy had gotten by 1979.

The jobs were gone except shit jobs. When workers don't support the work force, economy, the services dry up as well as the jobs. Not sure what some of these people are thinking.

Kathianne
10-13-2021, 12:19 PM

Just thought I'd point out no one's going to get $21 an hour here to flip burgers. Maybe $10. What bothers me about headlines like this is, $21. is a LOT of money here. For menial labor, anyway.

There is no flat economy in the US, The media knows this. So does the government. Yet both continue to play as if everyone pays what NYC, Chicago and Seattle do. On my wages here, I couldn't rent a square on the sidewalk in a back alley in NYC. Economies are regional. You can bet when the government is doling out raises for social security they don't forget that. Probably us the cost of living from Amarillo :rolleyes:.

I don't understand the work thing. I've done a little of everything, especially before I joined the military, just to have money to eat and a place to sleep. In fact, I ended up joining the Marine Corps for that very reason. That's how bad the economy had gotten by 1979.

The jobs were gone except shit jobs. When workers don't support the work force, economy, the services dry up as well as the jobs. Not sure what some of these people are thinking.

They are still collecting unemployment in many cases. Some of the blue states are still paying extra, though the fed has stopped. Then there are the new monthly amounts for kids, on top of SNAP & WIC.

For some I guess it is enough.

Black Diamond
10-13-2021, 01:53 PM

It says "up to". They pulled that crap when I was a kid. Course then it said up to $7. I called them back then and they were paying minimum wage (3 something) and the $7 was for a shift manager or the like. It's ok if you didn't see the "up to" because I didn't see it when I was a kid. They don't want you to see it.

fj1200
10-13-2021, 03:18 PM

You've got it backwards. It shows the lie of the minimum wage that people can only earn that much when in reality demand for labor is what increases wages. High labor rates either naturally, via demand for labor, or unnaturally, via MW laws, pushes business investment from labor to capital (robots) in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgDk50dHbjM

Gunny
10-13-2021, 03:45 PM
It says "up to". They pulled that crap when I was a kid. Course then it said up to $7. I called them back then and they were paying minimum wage (3 something) and the $7 was for a shift manager or the like. It's ok if you didn't see the "up to" because I didn't see it when I was a kid. They don't want you to see it.As I stated in another thread, you have to pay attention to the use/misuse of the words. Seems people learn them nowadays just to misuse them to get over on others.