PDA

View Full Version : 185,000 have sought VA treatment so far

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 09:34 AM
How many more will there be at the end of this. Would you be willign to raise taxes at some point to care for them?

The government says it does too, and with some truth. Of 1.4 million U.S. forces deployed for Iraq and Afghanistan, more than 185,000 have sought care from the VA — a number that could easily top 700,000 eventually, predicts one academic analysis.

But many also need to help themselves. Iraq veteran John Waltz, of Hebron, Kentucky, sought treatment for PTSD but ran up about $12,000 (€8,463) worth of medical bills while his condition and claim were evaluated, he says.

Today in Americas

Meeting today's military demands, with an eye on tomorrow's

Freedom's Watch builds war chest to back conservative agenda in U.S.

Justice Clarence Thomas lashes out in new book
"We have to be really frugal, as far as what groceries we buy," Waltz says. "I think we're down to just a couple dollars now, until the next time we get paid."

On a national scale, the costs of caring for the wounded certainly won't crush the immense American economy or the VA. But the price tag will challenge budgets of governments and service agencies, adding another hungry mouth within their nests.

Economic forecasts vary widely for the federal costs of caring for injured veterans returning from the Middle East, but they range as high as $700 billion (€493.7 billion) for the VA. That would rival the cost of fighting the Iraq war. In recent years, the VA has repeatedly run out of money to treat sick veterans and had to ask for billions more before the next budget.

"I wouldn't be surprised if these costs per person are higher than any war previously," says Scott Wallsten, of the conservative think tank Progress and Freedom Foundation.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/30/america/NA-FEA-GEN-US-Coming-Home-Wounded-The-Price.php?page=2

darin
09-30-2007, 11:28 AM
...and you support National Health care for everyone?

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I support making sure all Americans have access to healthcare especially preventative care whioch would reduce the cost of all peoples health care.

I support giving these soldiers all the health care they deserve and will fight to make sure they get it even if it means raising taxes to do so , will you?

darin
09-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I support making sure all Americans have access to healthcare especially preventative care whioch would reduce the cost of all peoples health care.

I support giving these soldiers all the health care they deserve and will fight to make sure they get it even if it means raising taxes to do so , will you?

You have no right to ask about my support to Veterans.

Raising taxes won't mean they get better health care - you're too closed-minded to see that.

Said1
09-30-2007, 11:33 AM

Just out of curiosity, how will you fight?

darin
09-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, how will you fight?

She won't. She'll just support raising taxes blindly. Instead of first insisting on ANY type of performance audit - she'll want to dump money on organizations.

Said1
09-30-2007, 11:44 AM
She won't. She'll just support raising taxes blindly. Instead of first insisting on ANY type of performance audit - she'll want to dump money on organizations.

I doubt she will either. Fighting the 'system' takes more tenacity and wherewithal then I think she has.

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Are none of you willing to agree with supporting our Vets even if it means tax increases?

I will urge my representatives for the rest of my days to do whatever it takes to ensure these people get the best care possible.

I really thought this was something we could all agree on. I see spewing hate at me is more important to you then commiting to care for our vetrans and finding at least a small area in which we could agree.

OCA
09-30-2007, 11:53 AM
How many more will there be at the end of this. Would you be willign to raise taxes at some point to care for them?

The government says it does too, and with some truth. Of 1.4 million U.S. forces deployed for Iraq and Afghanistan, more than 185,000 have sought care from the VA — a number that could easily top 700,000 eventually, predicts one academic analysis.

But many also need to help themselves. Iraq veteran John Waltz, of Hebron, Kentucky, sought treatment for PTSD but ran up about $12,000 (€8,463) worth of medical bills while his condition and claim were evaluated, he says.

Today in Americas

Meeting today's military demands, with an eye on tomorrow's

Freedom's Watch builds war chest to back conservative agenda in U.S.

Justice Clarence Thomas lashes out in new book
"We have to be really frugal, as far as what groceries we buy," Waltz says. "I think we're down to just a couple dollars now, until the next time we get paid."

On a national scale, the costs of caring for the wounded certainly won't crush the immense American economy or the VA. But the price tag will challenge budgets of governments and service agencies, adding another hungry mouth within their nests.

Economic forecasts vary widely for the federal costs of caring for injured veterans returning from the Middle East, but they range as high as $700 billion (€493.7 billion) for the VA. That would rival the cost of fighting the Iraq war. In recent years, the VA has repeatedly run out of money to treat sick veterans and had to ask for billions more before the next budget.

"I wouldn't be surprised if these costs per person are higher than any war previously," says Scott Wallsten, of the conservative think tank Progress and Freedom Foundation.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/30/america/NA-FEA-GEN-US-Coming-Home-Wounded-The-Price.php?page=2

No tax raise. Most cases of PTSD are false, just someone looking to scam the system.

Dilloduck
09-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Are none of you willing to agree with supporting our Vets even if it means tax increases?

I will urge my representatives for the rest of my days to do whatever it takes to ensure these people get the best care possible.

I really thought this was something we could all agree on. I see spewing hate at me is more important to you then commiting to care for our vetrans and finding at least a small area in which we could agree.

I support taking care of everyone in America

darin
09-30-2007, 11:56 AM

No - we want to argue you and your blind obedience to raising taxes.

If we're spewing 'hate' in this thread, you are spewing stupidity.

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 11:57 AM
No tax raise. Most cases of PTSD are false, just someone looking to scam the system.

Can you prove this claim?

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/index.jsp

Said1
09-30-2007, 11:59 AM

I'm not spewing hate. I asked for an example of fighting. I thought you might answer with "I'll picket' or "I'll collect signatures" or something that involved coming into contact with actual vets, somewhere. You know, something deeper, that goes beyond 'urging your rep' via e-mail. I guess I should have been more specific. If you are as passionate as you say, you might consider some of the above suggestions when fighting - even if it is for more tax money because it draws attention to your cause. The more people pay attention, the more pressure is put on whomever is in charge of doling out money for whatever it is you're trying to fix. That is, getting out there, raising awarness is much more effective.

Not only that, people are often inclined to give their personal time and money if they are inspired by your passion - or fight.

You see, you said you would be willing to fight. I took it for granted that you might have had some ideas. You don't. Good luck with your 'urging'. Sorry you see being questioned as "spewing hate'. It isn't.

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 12:05 PM
I doubt she will either. Fighting the 'system' takes more tenacity and wherewithal then I think she has.

You never answered my question and offered nothing but insult.

This is what is wrong with the political debate in this country.

I offered facts and asked a question.Your response was not to answer and to insult instead. Who is the one destroying the discourse here?

Then you post again to insult me for relying on the system our founders designed. I love Democracy and think it can work. Dont you think our system is a good way to address the issues of our day?

Said1
09-30-2007, 12:11 PM
You never answered my question and offered nothing but insult.

This is what is wrong with the political debate in this country.

I offered facts and asked a question.Your response was not to answer and to insult instead. Who is the one destroying the discourse here?

Then you post again to insult me for relying on the system our founders designed. I love Democracy and think it can work. Dont you think our system is a good way to address the issues of our day?

I haven't insulted you recently unless you can point to where I have. Lacking tenacity and wherewithall is something you can find in MOST people. Urging is not fighting. If you call that an insult, I TRUELY feel sorry for you.

And you didn't answer my question either.

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 12:14 PM

This is an insult. Please at least be a little honest?

manu1959
09-30-2007, 12:16 PM

more passive agressive bullshit.....

Said1
09-30-2007, 12:19 PM

No it isn't. Please show the slightest bit of honesty and self-reflection. What are you doing, right now? Wasting energy on a message board.

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 12:29 PM
No it isn't. Please show the slightest bit of honesty and self-reflection. What are you doing, right now? Wasting energy on a message board.

You will never fight for anything you believe in and will stick behind nothing and have no capability to do so.

* this is an restating of what you just said to me would it be an insult if I said it to any member on this site on the right?

manu1959
09-30-2007, 12:32 PM
You will never fight for anything you believe in and will stick behind nothing and have no capability to do so.

* this is an restating of what you just said to me would it be an insult if I said it to any member on this site on the right?

really which post # did this quote come from....

Said1
09-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Restating and taking out of context. But whatever. Hide behind your self-proclaimed victimization.

Also, do you find that insulting because it isn't true? If it isn't true, please, feel free to list examples of what you have done to fight for the rights of others.

And yes, I know you did state that by fighting, you meant 'urging your representative'. If you find that tenacious and and productive, then keep on keeping on. Keep us up-dated on your progress.

Said1
09-30-2007, 12:57 PM
And how are you not wasting your energy here? How does anyone who needs you to fight for their rights benefit from your contributions to this message board?

OCA
09-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Can you prove this claim?

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/index.jsp

Sure, were a society of victims and everyone is looking to get over on someone or the system.

A soldier goes to war, kills and sees killing, thats his job, deal with it. If it was up to me PTSD would be removed as an actual disorder.

OCA
09-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Looks like the VA in 2005 found reason to review 72,000 cases of the mysterious illness known as "PTSD". Fucking fraud hoisted on us by the psychiatric industry.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,79081,00.html

Said1
09-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Sure, were a society of victims and everyone is looking to get over on someone or the system.

A soldier goes to war, kills and sees killing, thats his job, deal with it. If it was up to me PTSD would be removed as an actual disorder.

Why do we bother replying to her? She sits in her den, posts nonsense, and feels like she's contributing to society. Why, because the 'guests' here read her posts. Whatever. Blah, blah.

ANd yes, that is an insult just in case you need clarification, honey.

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 02:53 PM

This is the VA and they see it as an illness. I back the troops ad you call them phoneys and cheats when you are done with them.

manu1959
09-30-2007, 02:55 PM
This is the VA and they see it as an illness. I back the troops ad you call them phoneys and cheats when you are done with them.

is it possible that some fake their " illness " or are all men that have served to be trusted without question no matter what?

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 02:59 PM
is it possible that some fake their " illness " or are all men that have served to be trusted without question no matter what?

This is from the article you posted
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...,79081,00.html
“There is very little potential to reduce the number of cases here,” he said. “And we’ve very concerned about the impact of the review and publicity on veterans, especially those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, who need the kind of counseling that the VA can provide.”

Democrats echoed those concerns, and called for a halt to plans to review the cases.

Udall said in one case, a veteran in his district committed suicide after hearing about plans for the review. Officials from New Mexico found the man, a Vietnam veteran, with information regarding the review beside his Purple Heart when he took his life.

For example, in Illinois, only about 2.8 percent of PTSD cases receive the 100 percent rating, and the average yearly payment for treatment is $6,961. But in New Mexico, more than 12 percent of PTSD receive that highest disability claim, and the payment average there is $12,004.

It is indeed a very small amount of money to try and live off of.

manu1959
09-30-2007, 03:01 PM
“There is very little potential to reduce the number of cases here,” he said. “And we’ve very concerned about the impact of the review and publicity on veterans, especially those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, who need the kind of counseling that the VA can provide.”

Democrats echoed those concerns, and called for a halt to plans to review the cases.

Udall said in one case, a veteran in his district committed suicide after hearing about plans for the review. Officials from New Mexico found the man, a Vietnam veteran, with information regarding the review beside his Purple Heart when he took his life.

really? which post of mine is this article from?

can't answer my querry?

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Looks like the VA in 2005 found reason to review 72,000 cases of the mysterious illness known as "PTSD". Fucking fraud hoisted on us by the psychiatric industry.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,79081,00.html

you are right it was OCA.

manu1959
09-30-2007, 03:12 PM
you are right it was OCA.

can't answer my querry?

Gaffer
09-30-2007, 03:12 PM
PTSD is a real disorder, but not to the extent it has been used. In most cases its used as a scam. I knew one guy that did suffer from it. He was the only survivor of his squad when they were ambushed. He got a lot of counciling but never any disability payments.

A 180.000 vets receiving benefits because of the iraq and afgan wars is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions receiving various aid and benefits. I'm on 100% disability myself. And its not a lot of money.

manu1959
09-30-2007, 03:16 PM
PTSD is a real disorder, but not to the extent it has been used. In most cases its used as a scam. I knew one guy that did suffer from it. He was the only survivor of his squad when they were ambushed. He got a lot of counciling but never any disability payments.

A 180.000 vets receiving benefits because of the iraq and afgan wars is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions receiving various aid and benefits. I'm on 100% disability myself. And its not a lot of money.

i don't think anyone disagrees that PTSD is a real condition.....the question is does anyone fake it.....it would seem that several veterans with first hand experience would concur that some fake it.....

thus truth matters only if she agrees with it loses yet another argument....but will instaed claim victory as we are all just rude morons....

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 03:22 PM
[/url] http://tinyurl.com/2w2jph

For example, in Illinois, only about 2.8 percent of PTSD cases receive the 100 percent rating, and the average yearly payment for treatment is $6,961. But in New Mexico, more than 12 percent of PTSD receive that highest disability claim, and the payment average there is $12,004.

It is a very small about to live on and I dont anyone you think is "faking it" to get it is in mental distress.

manu1959
09-30-2007, 03:25 PM

It is a very small about to live on and I dont anyone you think is "faking it" to get it is in mental distress.

so would that be a yes?....all that have served should be trusted without question.....and not one solider has ever faked PTSD?

truthmatters
09-30-2007, 03:29 PM
No it would be that I dont think anyone would destroy their lives by claiming a severe disability just to live off of 12000 a year.

manu1959
09-30-2007, 03:31 PM
No it would be that I dont think anyone would destroy their lives by claiming a severe disability just to live off of 12000 a year.

how is faking an illness to get $12,000 destroying one's life?

so it is not possible in your reality that a soilder would fake PTSD?

OCA
09-30-2007, 06:19 PM

It is indeed a very small amount of money to try and live off of.

But there was cause.

truthmatters
10-01-2007, 07:40 AM
I think I would like to see how and why people were determined NOT suffering from ptsd before I would claim they had reason to review.

OCA
10-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I think I would like to see how and why people were determined NOT suffering from ptsd before I would claim they had reason to review.

How can that be done without a review of each individual case? Duh!