PDA

View Full Version : U.S., EU Agree To Deal On Trump-Era Steel, Aluminum Tariffs, Sources Say

Gunny
10-30-2021, 01:38 PM
Yet another sellout to the world idiots. Screw them. One thing I DID agree with Trump about was levelling the trade deficit. There is no reason whatsoever we should be giving crap away. Business is "for profit". Why else bother?

October 30, 2021
By David Lawder and Andrea Shalal
WASHINGTON/ROME (Reuters) -The United States and European Union are expected to announce a deal to resolve a long-running trade dispute over U.S. steel and aluminum tariffs this weekend, easing a major transatlantic trade irritant, five people familiar with the agreement said.
Two of the sources said the agreement, details of which were still being finalized, would allow EU countries to export duty free some 3.3 million tons of steel annually to the United States under a tariff-rate quota system.
“An agreement on steel has been reached and will be announced soon,” said one source familiar with the matter, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Higher steel import volumes would be subject to tariffs, but additional duty-free status would be granted to certain steel products that had previously won exclusions from the U.S. tariffs during the past year, the sources said.
Including the product-specific exclusions, the total volume from EU steelmakers allowed in duty free would be around 4.3 million tons next year, one of the sources said. Europe exported https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-europe-steel-idUSKCN1J322N 5 million tons of steel to the United States before the tariffs were added in 2018 by former President Donald Trump.
The deal, which comes as leaders of the G20 major economies meet in Rome, would allow U.S. and EU officials about a month to implement it before a late-November deadline escalating Europe’s retaliatory tariffs on U.S. products, including motorcycles and whiskey.
U.S. and EU officials had been aiming to seal a deal https://www.reuters.com/business/us-hopeful-reaching-deal-with-eu-steel-tariffs-by-end-october-source-2021-10-14 by the end of October.
Technically, the agreement leaves intact the U.S. “Section 232” global metals tariffs of 25% on steel and 10% on aluminum, imposed on national security grounds, but on a practical basis exempts a substantial portion of Europe’s steel exports.
The United States allows imports of steel duty-from North American trade deal partners Mexico and Canada, with a mechanism that allows tariffs to be reimposed in the event of an unexpected “surge” in import volumes.
(Reporting by David Lawder and Andrea Shalal; Additional reporting by Jan Strupczewski; Editing by Will Dunham and Heather Timmons)
https://www.oann.com/u-s-eu-expected-to-announce-deal-ending-steel-aluminum-tariff-dispute-sources-say/

icansayit
10-30-2021, 05:23 PM
I know most people dislike talking like this. But...If you have even the slightest of Historical memory or knowledge that goes back to the beginnings of Both World Wars I, and II.

You should be able to see the OBVIOUS parallels of what took place then...and what SLEEPY's gang of Unelected Bureaucrats are doing now.
The Dems brag about SPENDING like FDR did...only we can quadruple those Spending tactics that will eventually return us to...the 21st Century DEPRESSION.

If you think that's all BS, and Conspiracy theory junk. Hope some Americans finally get to pull their DUMB ASS HEADS out of the sand.https://cdn.theatlantic.com/thumbor/DlZkFI1OGmyLEdOybhaX_hG2JPI=/900x608/media/img/photo/2011/07/world-war-ii-conflict-spreads-around-the-globe/w01_07110168/original.jpg
For those who still refuse to believe...HISTORY WON'T REPEAT ITSELF...
I'm just an old guy who doesn't know anything, and nobody should listen to me, or others like me because...WE ARE ALL FULL OF BS too!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Hitler_and_Mussolini_in_Munich%2C_Germany%2C_circa _June_1940.jpg

fj1200
10-31-2021, 12:34 PM
Yet another sellout to the world idiots. Screw them. One thing I DID agree with Trump about was levelling the trade deficit. There is no reason whatsoever we should be giving crap away. Business is "for profit". Why else bother?

https://www.oann.com/u-s-eu-expected-to-announce-deal-ending-steel-aluminum-tariff-dispute-sources-say/

That was the worst thing he did. Free trade is good and "leveling the trade deficit" grants government control over things that they don't know about.

fj1200
10-31-2021, 12:40 PM
I know most people dislike talking like this. But...If you have even the slightest of Historical memory or knowledge that goes back to the beginnings of Both World Wars I, and II.

You should be able to see the OBVIOUS parallels of what took place then...and what SLEEPY's gang of Unelected Bureaucrats are doing now.
The Dems brag about SPENDING like FDR did...only we can quadruple those Spending tactics that will eventually return us to...the 21st Century DEPRESSION.

If you think that's all BS, and Conspiracy theory junk. Hope some Americans finally get to pull their DUMB ASS HEADS out of the sand.

For those who still refuse to believe...HISTORY WON'T REPEAT ITSELF...
I'm just an old guy who doesn't know anything, and nobody should listen to me, or others like me because...WE ARE ALL FULL OF BS too!

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. Spending tactics didn't lead us to the Great Depression. Protectionism led us to the Great Depression. The GD was well under way before FDR started his spending spree. FDR, and Hoover before him, worsened the GD with excess government meddling.

Gunny
11-01-2021, 12:42 PM
That was the worst thing he did. Free trade is good and "leveling the trade deficit" grants government control over things that they don't know about.Nope. I was against it when it happened, FYI. I have since changed my opinion. It is our President's/government's job to protect our society, to include our economy from outside interest. I'm well aware they suck at it. Besides the point.

Our trade is our responsibility. Seeing that it is healthy and that WE make a profit is our business. I could care less if the EU cries all night. I am well aware that most of the causes of our industry not being able to compete with cheap foreign shit from cheap foreign labor. If you think you're going to fix that, good luck.

Your opinion would be correct if you aspire to the mediocrity Europe is. I don't.

fj1200
11-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Nope. I was against it when it happened, FYI. I have since changed my opinion. It is our President's/government's job to protect our society, to include our economy from outside interest. I'm well aware they suck at it. Besides the point.

Our trade is our responsibility. Seeing that it is healthy and that WE make a profit is our business. I could care less if the EU cries all night. I am well aware that most of the causes of our industry not being able to compete with cheap foreign shit from cheap foreign labor. If you think you're going to fix that, good luck.

Your opinion would be correct if you aspire to the mediocrity Europe is. I don't.

Sorry but you don't just get to declare "nope" on this one. Free trade is good; it's been proven for decades. One look at the quality of cars coming out of Detroit in the 70s and 80s should be proof enough.

Gunny
11-03-2021, 01:33 PM
Sorry but you don't just get to declare "nope" on this one. Free trade is good; it's been proven for decades. One look at the quality of cars coming out of Detroit in the 70s and 80s should be proof enough.
Sure I can. I just did :) For all the things the US Federal government sticks its nose into tht it has no right to, nor business in, international affairs are exactly what we hired them for. To represent "We, the People" to the World, and what is in OUR (the US's) best interest, not the rest of the World's. Deficit trading is NOT in our best interest.

If the US is going to create an artificial economy that is based on its higher-than-everyone-else's overhead (spelled: unions -- just another word for government), then it is responsible for protecting that artificial economy. It's always been that way and always will be so long as there is international trade.

As far as your comment on cars goes, you chose poorly trying to make that argument with me. I'll take a 67 just about anything over these tinfoil Matchbox cars they produce now. Foreign steel is inferior.

fj1200
11-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Sure I can. I just did :) For all the things the US Federal government sticks its nose into tht it has no right to, nor business in, international affairs are exactly what we hired them for. To represent "We, the People" to the World, and what is in OUR (the US's) best interest, not the rest of the World's. Deficit trading is NOT in our best interest.

If the US is going to create an artificial economy that is based on its higher-than-everyone-else's overhead (spelled: unions -- just another word for government), then it is responsible for protecting that artificial economy. It's always been that way and always will be so long as there is international trade.

As far as your comment on cars goes, you chose poorly trying to make that argument with me. I'll take a 67 just about anything over these tinfoil Matchbox cars they produce now. Foreign steel is inferior.

If you want me to drop a whole bunch of free trade is good links and stuff on ya. I'll do it. All you have to do is ask. :poke: Besides international relations are not the same thing as international trade and deciding what a free people get to buy and sell on a global market is not something they can do well or should do at all. I can agree that we've screwed our economy on some issues but the fix is not protectionism; that would make things worse.

But... I said the 70s and 80s, not the 60s. ;)

Gunny
11-03-2021, 02:27 PM
If you want me to drop a whole bunch of free trade is good links and stuff on ya. I'll do it. All you have to do is ask. :poke: Besides international relations are not the same thing as international trade and deciding what a free people get to buy and sell on a global market is not something they can do well or should do at all. I can agree that we've screwed our economy on some issues but the fix is not protectionism; that would make things worse.

But... I said the 70s and 80s, not the 60s. ;)There is no such thing as free trade and never has been. Doesn't matter how much crap you can cut and paste. Trade is about as free as "We, the People" are. Keep saying it long enough and you will believe it.

The vehicles you mention were not the result of any "free trade". They were the result of weaponized EPA, and the "global warming, Chicken Little" of the day -- "Peak oil production before the end of the decade" (70s). The EPA killed our fuel and automotive industries, both having to rebuild from scratch in the ashes.

fj1200
11-03-2021, 02:37 PM
There is no such thing as free trade and never has been. Doesn't matter how much crap you can cut and paste. Trade is about as free as "We, the People" are. Keep saying it long enough and you will believe it.

The vehicles you mention were not the result of any "free trade". They were the result of weaponized EPA, and the "global warming, Chicken Little" of the day -- "Peak oil production before the end of the decade" (70s). The EPA killed our fuel and automotive industries, both having to rebuild from scratch in the ashes.

Exactly my point. Thank you. They were the result of a lack of global competition. The EPA is far worse today and the cars are far better because competition.

If you want to argue there's no "free trade" then I can't really dissuade you of that notion but there is freer trade than not and freer trade is good. Adam Smith et al.

Gunny
11-03-2021, 04:01 PM
Exactly my point. Thank you. They were the result of a lack of global competition. The EPA is far worse today and the cars are far better because competition.

If you want to argue there's no "free trade" then I can't really dissuade you of that notion but there is freer trade than not and freer trade is good. Adam Smith et al.Not making your point. Toyota, Datsun and Opel, Jag, BMW, Volkswagen had vehicles on our market. They were beyond ugly and only nerds drove them. We had Volkswagens (my parents were BOTH nerds :laugh:).

Point is, foreign competition was there. I DO get the complacency of a captive market. The market had nothing to do with the vehicles suddenly not meeting new, slam-dunked EPA standards and having to experiment. Trust me, young 'un, I had to live through "The Day of the Shitty 70s Car". I drove a 68 Mercury :). Then there was the Sequel in the 80s: "The Day of the Underpowered and Inefficient Every Car".

And we're going to do it again based on the myth of green energy which is just a way for the people out of power to try and usurp it. Invent your enemy.

None of which has anything to do with the government's role in trade. It is their job to protect us and our industries from unfair international trade; which, they have not. If they had been doing so, all the crying from those countries called to task wouldn't have happened.

You can argue until you turn green and I'm still going to disagree. You can accept a difference in ideology; or, by mine, which is sound, you are wrong.

fj1200
11-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Not making your point. Toyota, Datsun and Opel, Jag, BMW, Volkswagen had vehicles on our market. They were beyond ugly and only nerds drove them. We had Volkswagens (my parents were BOTH nerds :laugh:).

Point is, foreign competition was there. I DO get the complacency of a captive market. The market had nothing to do with the vehicles suddenly not meeting new, slam-dunked EPA standards and having to experiment. Trust me, young 'un, I had to live through "The Day of the Shitty 70s Car". I drove a 68 Mercury :). Then there was the Sequel in the 80s: "The Day of the Underpowered and Inefficient Every Car".

And we're going to do it again based on the myth of green energy which is just a way for the people out of power to try and usurp it. Invent your enemy.

None of which has anything to do with the government's role in trade. It is their job to protect us and our industries from unfair international trade; which, they have not. If they had been doing so, all the crying from those countries called to task wouldn't have happened.

You can argue until you turn green and I'm still going to disagree. You can accept a difference in ideology; or, by mine, which is sound, you are wrong.

We'll agree that government has done things wrong and will do things wrong. Both of which lead to the below...

We'll disagree that free trade is good. But I'm right... with the support of your points. ;)

Gunny
11-05-2021, 09:54 AM
We'll agree that government has done things wrong and will do things wrong. Both of which lead to the below...

We'll disagree that free trade is good. But I'm right... with the support of your points. ;)Free trade might be good if there was such a thing. My points hardly support that fantasy.

Aren't you always right?:poke:

jimnyc
11-05-2021, 10:28 AM
I enjoy watching you 2 debate, I always learn something. :)

fj1200
11-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Free trade might be good if there was such a thing. My points hardly support that fantasy.

Aren't you always right?:poke:

Yes. :beer: