PDA

View Full Version : Defund the police in Austin vs TX easy firearm laws: Unstoppable force vs immovable

tailfins
11-03-2021, 10:35 AM
Yesterday a voter initiative to reverse "defund the police" failed. I wonder how this will play out. It almost demands do-it-yourself law enforcement.

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local-election-hq/2-3-of-austinites-voted-against-prop-a-in-early-voting/

Gunny
11-03-2021, 01:37 PM
Yesterday a voter initiative to reverse "defund the police" failed. I wonder how this will play out. It almost demands do-it-yourself law enforcement.

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local-election-hq/2-3-of-austinites-voted-against-prop-a-in-early-voting/

How weird is this? San Antonio is 90 miles from Austin. We just boosted our police budget. Nobody that matters in the slightest is talking defund the police here.

You are correct though ... we just openly armed every Tom, Dick and Harry in the state. Austin is screwing itself. The criminals were carrying anyway, regardless the law.

icansayit
11-03-2021, 02:05 PM
https://cf-images.us-east-1.prod.boltdns.net/v1/static/694940094001/26a217f1-0e1e-43f8-a3ae-b5961612317e/cd012227-d3aa-4a68-a0b3-c42e8d239a14/1280x720/match/image.jpg
https://thehistoryjunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/wildwest.jpg
Austin wants to go back to the GOOD OLD DAYS and they just voted for it again???
https://s.hdnux.com/photos/63/20/40/13436957/5/rawImage.jpg

Gunny
11-03-2021, 02:31 PM
If you look at footage from the Charles Whitman shooting, every aforementioned Tom, Dick and Harry brought out their own guns and kept him pinned down while 2 cops and a civilian got into the tower.

You'd never see that happen now and no telling how many more people would have died. Whitman could shoot and he was armed to the teeth.

tailfins
11-03-2021, 02:51 PM
If you look at footage from the Charles Whitman shooting, every aforementioned Tom, Dick and Harry brought out their own guns and kept him pinned down while 2 cops and a civilian got into the tower.

You'd never see that happen now and no telling how many more people would have died. Whitman could shoot and he was armed to the teeth.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. There is still enough of an element here in Texas where armed ordinary citizens take care of business. Some of them even drive into Austin now and then to eat at one of the barbecue joints.

I'm curious how it will play out in the courts and the press when --NOT IF-- this happens.

Gunny
11-03-2021, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't be so sure of that. There is still enough of an element here in Texas where armed ordinary citizens take care of business. Some of them even drive into Austin now and then to eat at one of the barbecue joints.

I'm curious how it will play out in the courts and the press when --NOT IF-- this happens.When not if what happens> A shooting? Or the defund the police movement?

Austin ain't like Bandera. Grannies will unload some buckshot into your ass for disturbing the status quo around there :laugh:

tailfins
11-03-2021, 07:02 PM
When not if what happens> A shooting? Or the defund the police movement?

Austin ain't like Bandera. Grannies will unload some buckshot into your ass for disturbing the status quo around there :laugh:

I'm referring to a LEGAL shooting.

Gunny
11-03-2021, 07:33 PM
I'm referring to a LEGAL shooting.What is it you expect to happen? The Right to carry openly didn't change the courts nor potential jurors in the least. Still the same, mostly blue court here.

What are you trying to get at? I don't read "cryptic" very well.

tailfins
11-04-2021, 09:03 AM
What is it you expect to happen? The Right to carry openly didn't change the courts nor potential jurors in the least. Still the same, mostly blue court here.

With violent crime going up specifically because the police have not only been defunded, but Austin PD's rules of engagement favor criminals, city hall treats cops as an enemy, morale is in the toilet, etc. Shopkeepers are going to have to make tough choices. They either raise prices to offset a tolerant environment for criminals, arm themselves, or go out of business. As a customer, why risk getting mugged when Round Rock is 10 minutes away? This situation cannot last. Leaving things as-is will result in significant do-it-yourself law enforcement. State law will prevent the ability for City Hall to implement any leftist measures. Will City Hall bluff or fold? Either they tolerate legal shootings or effectively solve the crime problem.

tailfins
11-04-2021, 09:08 AM
What is it you expect to happen? The Right to carry openly didn't change the courts nor potential jurors in the least. Still the same, mostly blue court here.

If you have relatives that are in the corporate world, you should encourage them to be "cryptic". Do a web search on "James Damore" if you want an example of consequences for not communicating in a "cryptic" manner complete with plausible deniability.

FWIW: Visiting Cuba four times was the best corporate training possible. People salute a mural of Fidel Castro during the day and build rafts at night for a reason. Between Cuba and Nicaragua, I learned that the dirty work is done by people who shut down their ability to think critically and agree to conform. Think of it as almost like Aspergers, except they are blind to the concept of questioning authority instead of being blind to social interactions. The same cryptic communication style that prevents one from getting arrested in Cuba is the same style that prevents one from getting fired in corporate America. There's not a nickel's worth of difference between the typical corporate middle manager and the likes of Raul Castro, Daniel Ortega or Nicolas Maduro.

revelarts
11-04-2021, 09:52 AM
SO we're starting to say that if the police don't get an INCREASE in Budgets that that means the city is "DEFUNDING the Police"?
I've hated that kind of talk when when congress does it... every year... pretending that NO increase in funds means someone TAKEN something away.
I've called it lying.

"...A majority of Austin voters rejected Proposition A, which would have increased funding to the Austin Police Department.
With 100% of precincts reporting late Tuesday night, 68% of Austin voters voted against Prop. A, while approximately 32% voted for the initiative. This follows similar early voting results released at 7 p.m., where two-thirds of voters who cast their ballots before Election Day also voted against the proposition....
...Estimates from the city’s chief financial officer anticipate the proposition would cost between $271.5 million and $598.8 million over the next five years if approved. That translates to a cost between $54.3 million and $119.8 million per year....

And it seems the proposed INCREASE actually included some of the items that Police reformers and - "defund the policers" have wanted anyway.
...If approved by voters, Proposition A would increase police staffing to a minimum of two officers per 1,000 residents. The proposition would also double the required training for officers, expand on minority hiring and mandate a minimum of 35% of officers’ shifts be spent on community policing....

So it looks like the situation is more complicated than "Defund the Police" vs Keeping Police at current levels.

If the story is to be believed, Austins police are haven't been up to the job they have.

I'm Not sure how the politicians, activist and media are spinning it to public, but it just might be that people of Austin are just Cheap and don't want more taxes for anything. Or don't believe the city will do what it says police wise.

but it seems "Defund" the police ain't exactly what's happening here.
and making seem that way is not helping anyone.

tailfins
11-04-2021, 10:50 AM
One night I had a noise complaint and 311 NOT 911 was totally useless. I decided to make the complaint in person at the cop shop down the street. I was told that they can't respond to noise complaints. Job one is making sure that policing isn't racist. One of the cops told me off the record that most of APD lives in Round Rock because being a cop that lives Austin is unbearable. Cops are considered the enemy. There's no reason for a cop with a good resume to work in Austin since may already live in Round Rock, Georgetown, Hutto or Taylor which aren't dealing with these kind of issues to a noticeable degree.

SO we're starting to say that if the police don't get an INCREASE in Budgets that that means the city is "DEFENDING the Police"?
I've hated that kind of talk when when congress does it... every year... pretending that NO increase in funds means someone TAKEN something away.
I've called it lying.

"...A majority of Austin voters rejected Proposition A, which would have increased funding to the Austin Police Department.
With 100% of precincts reporting late Tuesday night, 68% of Austin voters voted against Prop. A, while approximately 32% voted for the initiative. This follows similar early voting results released at 7 p.m., where two-thirds of voters who cast their ballots before Election Day also voted against the proposition....
...Estimates from the city’s chief financial officer anticipate the proposition would cost between $271.5 million and $598.8 million over the next five years if approved. That translates to a cost between $54.3 million and $119.8 million per year....

And it seems the proposed INCREASE actually included some of the items that Police reformers and - "defund the policers" have wanted anyway.
...If approved by voters, Proposition A would increase police staffing to a minimum of two officers per 1,000 residents. The proposition would also double the required training for officers, expand on minority hiring and mandate a minimum of 35% of officers’ shifts be spent on community policing....

So it looks like the situation is more complicated than "Defund the Police" vs Keeping Police at current levels.

If the story is to be believed, Austins police are haven't been up to the job they have.

I'm Not sure how the politicians, activist and media are spinning it to public, but it just might be that people of Austin are just Cheap and don't want more taxes for anything. Or don't believe the city will do what it says police wise.

but it seems "Defund" the police ain't exactly what's happening here.
and making seem that way is not helping anyone.

revelarts
11-04-2021, 11:30 AM
One night I had a noise complaint and 311 NOT 911 was totally useless. I decided to make the complaint in person at the cop shop down the street. I was told that they can't respond to noise complaints. Job one is making sure that policing isn't racist. One of the cops told me off the record that most of APD lives in Round Rock because being a cop that lives Austin is unbearable. Cops are considered the enemy. There's no reason for a cop with a good resume to work in Austin since may already live in Round Rock, Georgetown, Hutto or Taylor which aren't dealing with these kind of issues to a noticeable degree.

that's interesting.
it's no fun being in a place where you're not wanted or assumed to be the enemy.
whoever you are or whatever your job.

So are you saying that the increase probably wasn't funded because a majority of people in Austin think the police are enemies?

And are you saying that Even IF they had gotten the increase in police funding that NO "good resume" cops would work there ANYWAY.
So the the rejection of the proposition was moot?

No matter what, it seems that the police and community need to try to get on the same page for everyone's sake.
rather than finger pointing, more conflict and negative assumptions.

icansayit
11-04-2021, 07:56 PM
Just points to, and proves ONE thing to me.

There are many more STUPID, IGNORANT, DUMB, RADICAL, SELFISH PEOPLE than NOT!
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/84750097.jpg
https://img.ifunny.co/images/5baac3228cbad63d2d80a80bca3dc0ca09086f9a5f5ea654ac 754876d63e2a25_1.jpg
https://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/5/79/916743231-stupid-people.jpg
https://i.imgflip.com/44fgrm.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTplvLoyPSHiNVOlCGp880TmVKXd2npL ZvfLTAgrDAQq6mP9CPWgvmTDDU69mel7YXLKcc&usqp=CAUhttps://pics.me.me/liberals-oll-rde-tie-bu-yup-theyre-that-dumb-people-27130961.png

Gunny
11-05-2021, 07:58 AM
If you have relatives that are in the corporate world, you should encourage them to be "cryptic". Do a web search on "James Damore" if you want an example of consequences for not communicating in a "cryptic" manner complete with plausible deniability.

FWIW: Visiting Cuba four times was the best corporate training possible. People salute a mural of Fidel Castro during the day and build rafts at night for a reason. Between Cuba and Nicaragua, I learned that the dirty work is done by people who shut down their ability to think critically and agree to conform. Think of it as almost like Aspergers, except they are blind to the concept of questioning authority instead of being blind to social interactions. The same cryptic communication style that prevents one from getting arrested in Cuba is the same style that prevents one from getting fired in corporate America. There's not a nickel's worth of difference between the typical corporate middle manager and the likes of Raul Castro, Daniel Ortega or Nicolas Maduro.Just because I am bored and have a few minutes ... I have/had a TS clearance. I can do cryptic.

A venue that consists of words on a screen is cryptic enough and leads to misunderstanding often enough without the addition of purposeful vagueness. If the message is lost/misunderstood, then there is no message. If you aren't getting across the point you are trying to -- again, hard enough on a message board -- then there is no point. It's aggravating enough to painstakingly craft a message that in your logical military mind couldn't possibly be misunderstood by a recruit only to have it completely misunderstood.

Do you not think your silence/vagueness is in and of itself "conformity"? It's someone else's rules telling you to tell yourself what you can say.

Gunny
11-05-2021, 08:08 AM
With violent crime going up specifically because the police have not only been defunded, but Austin PD's rules of engagement favor criminals, city hall treats cops as an enemy, morale is in the toilet, etc. Shopkeepers are going to have to make tough choices. They either raise prices to offset a tolerant environment for criminals, arm themselves, or go out of business. As a customer, why risk getting mugged when Round Rock is 10 minutes away? This situation cannot last. Leaving things as-is will result in significant do-it-yourself law enforcement. State law will prevent the ability for City Hall to implement any leftist measures. Will City Hall bluff or fold? Either they tolerate legal shootings or effectively solve the crime problem.This doesn't sound unique. All communities have this same choice. Personally, I'll go out of my way to avoid Austin. Just the thought of driving anywhere near Austin on 35 is enough to make one break out in hives. There's nothing special about the place to me. If I want some "Texas culture", I'll head west or east on an FM. I've never understood the attraction to the place since it was a great stopover place to park your cows on the Brazos before heading into the Plains or Desert.

If it starts threatening in any meaningful way all that "culture" money and faux atmosphere, that money doesn't have that far up the road to go to be heard by government. Just take a left up Congress :)