PDA

View Full Version : N.C. High School Students Protest After Student Suspended For Reporting Sexual Assaul

Gunny
11-05-2021, 10:08 AM
This one is just "STOOPID" :rolleyes: From the Biden Admin on down, bureaucracies seem to think saying it isn't so/pretending it didn't happen is a legit answer.

How bad is it when generally and usually oblivious HS students are calling BS? It's got be as obvious as a train coming down the track for them to notice anything beyond themselves.

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 5:24 PM PT – Thursday, November 4, 2021Students at a North Carolina high school walked out of class after a teenage girl was suspended for reporting a sexual assault.
On Wednesday, more than 100 students at Hawthorne Academy High School protested outside the building following the suspension of a 15-year-old girl who has remained anonymous. The 15-year-old reportedly notified school officials she was being sexually assaulted by another male student, where she was then accused of filing a false report and later suspended.
“The school did their investigation, gave me a phone call and said ‘hey, look, unfortunately it looks like there’s no evidence that shows that what your daughter’s saying took place, did. We’re going to have to give her a day of suspension’.”
The girl’s mother said she then went to the principal and said “the police are telling me that he did do these things, he admitted to them, and that I have the right to press charges…you’re telling me this didn’t happen?”
Many students are calling it victim-blaming as others applauded in support of the girl and in protest of the school’s handing of reported sexual violence. Meanwhile, local police reportedly investigated and pressed charges against the male minor for sexual battery despite school administrator’s failing to take action.

https://www.oann.com/n-c-high-school-students-protest-after-student-suspended-for-reporting-sexual-assault/

jimnyc
11-05-2021, 10:23 AM
That's royally messed up. I would quietly take the suspension and then sue the school, district & principal. :rolleyes:

SassyLady
11-05-2021, 11:28 AM
That's royally messed up. I would quietly take the suspension and then sue the school, district & principal. :rolleyes:
Why do it "quietly"?

Abbey Marie
11-05-2021, 01:05 PM
Oooh, someone’s not believing all women…

Gunny
11-05-2021, 01:13 PM
Oooh, someone’s not believing all women…Well, there is that little thingy about the guy confessing to police. That pretty much kills my usual, "he said-she said" skepticism :)

To me, this is yet another example of school bureaucracy ignoring both the parents and the student. Last I checked, the Dems lost VA over such arrogance. As far as I am concerned, they can keep right on going and keep right on losing states.

This one's not about education per se, but it is about the education system. The GOP appears for once to be ready to pounce on something that might actually get it somewhere. Unless they're just getting our hopes up for nothing again :rolleyes:

tailfins
11-05-2021, 01:53 PM
Why do it "quietly"?

To monetize the school's fear of bad press resulting in a bigger payout/settlement

SassyLady
11-05-2021, 07:27 PM
To monetize the school's fear of bad press resulting in a bigger payout/settlement

And therein lies the problem with American society these days.

jimnyc
11-05-2021, 07:53 PM
Why do it "quietly"?

I mean - I wouldn't give them ANY reason to rescind or change what they said in any way. Let them think they are right for one day and take the punishment.

Then once completed they can go to Fox//CNN for all I care and tell the world. I'm not implying quiet about it overall, just the time to hang themselves, IMO.

jimnyc
11-06-2021, 02:25 PM
I would still handle quietly until they already fu**ed up, then sue everyone.

And now - I was wrong yesterday for briefing only on the snipped part and not reading the entire article, nor other comments last night prior to replying. Admitted, I was wrong.

That said, the fact that he was charged is a game changer in that respect. Kind of like good evidence for the lawsuit!

---

Teen Who Reported Sexual Assault at School Suspended, Even After Boy Charged

A 15-year-old girl who reported to school officials and the police in Charlotte, North Carolina, that she was sexually assaulted by a boy in the girl’s bathroom has been suspended, according to media reports.

Following a 45-minute interview with the victim, who said the boy put his hands down her pants and under her shirt, the police charged the boy with two counts of sexual battery. But school officials decided to suspend the girl for “false reporting.”

The Daily Beast and the local Fox News affiliate reported on the development, both refraining from using the name of the girl or her mother, who spoke to the media about her daughter’s experience.

The Daily Beast reported on what is alleged to have taken place at Hawthorne Academy of Health Sciences:

“Schools teach your kids, ‘You see something, you say something. If you feel threatened, you say something,’” her mother told The Daily Beast this week. “And in this case my daughter did, and it seems that the school system has failed her.”

The girl, a sophomore at the academy who asked to remain anonymous, told The Daily Beast the boy had been harassing her for weeks, following her into the bathroom and groping her without her consent. The student says she did not report it until she attended a Title IX assembly in late August or early September, where administrators encouraged students to come forward about instances of abuse. She had hesitated before, she said, because she was afraid no one would believe her.

Around the time of the assembly, the girl spoke with another student who told her she had had a similar experience with the same assailant. The two of them brought their allegations to the assistant principal, who notified the police, triggering an investigation. (A copy of the police report reviewed by The Daily Beast states that two minors reported that the suspect “attempted to engage in sexual contact against the victims will.”) A few weeks later, her mother said, the police called to say the alleged assailant had confessed. He was later charged with two counts of sexual battery.

But even after the confession and filed charges, the school contacted the victim’s mother to say that they had not uncovered any wrongdoing and that her daughter was being suspended for fabricating the story.

“As punishment, her daughter would be suspended from school for one day and forced to sign a non-retaliation letter,” the Daily Beast reported. “There was no mention of any punishment for the male student.”

The Daily Beast reviewed a letter the school’s assistant principal sent to the mother that advised her of the school’s decision.

“I said to her, ‘I’m a little confused because this student admitted to the detectives that interviewed him at the police station that he did in fact do this,’’’ the mother said. “Unfortunately, what the police department does has nothing to do with the school system.”

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Earnest Winston said in a statement that due to the “confidential information about such matters as individual student discipline or ongoing police investigations,” no comments could be made on the specifics of the case, but he expressed that the district takes such matters “seriously.”

“We take all allegations of misconduct very seriously, and our staff is trained to follow proper procedures in reporting,” Winston said. “District leaders review assertions of Title IX reporting problems and will take appropriate action in the event any review reveals action is necessary.”

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/11/06/teen-reported-sexual-assault-school-suspended-even-after-boy-charged/

This has to be like the worst case of victim blaming.

How in the world does someone admit to the crime, the police charging them - and then the school says they are punishing her as there was no evidence?

Now I know the police department and the school are 2 different places. But c'mon. That's ok though, I would start my lawsuit for about $20 million to be taken seriously and willing to take a little off the top in negotiations. :rolleyes: