PDA

View Full Version : Congressional Democrats Propose Cigarette Tax Hike to Pay for Children's Health Cover

stephanie
09-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Sunday , September 30, 2007

WASHINGTON —

Congressional Democrats have chosen an unlikely source to pay for the bulk of their proposed $35 billion increase in children's health coverage: people with relatively little money and education.

The program expansion passed by the House and Senate last week would be financed with a 156 percent increase in the federal cigarette tax, taking it to $1 per pack from the current 39 cents. Low-income people smoke more heavily than do wealthier people in the United States, making cigarette taxes a regressive form of revenue.

Democrats, who wrote the legislation and provided most of its votes, generally portray themselves as champions of the poor. They do not dispute that the tax plan would hit poor communities disproportionately, but they say it is worth it to provide health insurance to millions of modest-income children.

All the better, they say, if higher cigarette taxes discourage smoking.

"I'm very happy that we're paying for this," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said in an interview Friday, noting that the plan would not add to the deficit. "The health of the children is extremely important," he said. "In the long run, maybe it'll stop people from smoking."

read the rest of the article at..
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,298663,00.html

hjmick
09-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Another tax on the poor. I thought the Dems wanted to help poor Americans.

Joe Steel
09-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Another tax on the poor. I thought the Dems wanted to help poor Americans.

Taxes help the poor. The provide revenue to fund welfare.

stephanie
09-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Great campaign slogan...

Vote Democrat...they tax the poor in order to help the poor...:cheers2:

Gaffer
09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
More taxes on us evil smokers.

where they going to get their money when they outlaw smoking?

REDWHITEBLUE2
09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
They would of taxed Liquor but 99% of democrats are alcoholics led by drunken Ted Kennedy

April15
09-30-2007, 05:02 PM
They would of taxed Liquor but 99% of democrats are alcoholics led by drunken Ted KennedyNow this is funny!

stephanie
09-30-2007, 05:02 PM
More taxes on us evil smokers.

where they going to get their money when they outlaw smoking?

fat people will probably be next....and then from there who knows, the sky is the limit......:dance:

09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
they will tax religions. After all those evil religions out there dont deserve to have money.

April15
09-30-2007, 05:20 PM
fat people will probably be next....and then from there who knows, the sky is the limit......:dance:Well you won't get my fat money! I am supposed to have a lapband put in shortly.

April15
09-30-2007, 05:21 PM
they will tax religions. After all those evil religions out there dont deserve to have money.Do you think Atheism will be considered a religion for tax purposes?

stephanie
09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Well you won't get my fat money! I am supposed to have a lapband put in shortly.

That won't matter...You'll still have to pay those taxes..:cheers2:

good luck with your surgery..

Guernicaa
09-30-2007, 06:03 PM
they will tax religions. After all those evil religions out there dont deserve to have money.
Thats not a bad idea.
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: