PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Sullivan on collapse of MSM

SassyLady
11-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Leftist explaining why trust in MSM is collapsing

When All The Media Narratives CollapseIn case after case, the US MSM just keeps getting it wrong.
The news is a perilous business. It’s perilous because the first draft of history is almost always somewhat wrong, and needs a second draft, and a third, and so on, over time, until the historian can investigate with more perspective and calm. The job of journalists is to do as best they can, day by day, and respond swiftly when they screw up, correct the record, and move forward. I’ve learned this the hard way, not least in the combination of credulousness and trauma I harbored in the wake of 9/11 (https://sullydish.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/andrew-sullivan-i-was-wrong.pdf).
But when the sources of news keep getting things wrong, and all the errors lie in the exact same direction, and they are reluctant to acknowledge error, we have a problem. If you look back at the last few years, the record of errors, small and large, about major stories, is hard to deny. It’s as if the more Donald Trump accused the MSM of being “fake news” the more assiduously they tried to prove him right.

Snip ... really long article

We all get things wrong. What makes this more worrying is simply that all these false narratives just happen to favor the interests of the left and the Democratic party. And corrections, when they occur, take up a fraction of the space of the original falsehoods. These are not randos tweeting false rumors. They are the established press.
And at some point, you wonder: what narrative are they pushing now that is also bullshit?

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/when-all-the-media-narratives-collapse-650

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-13-2021, 11:21 AM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/when-all-the-media-narratives-collapse-650

Happens because they are no longer a free and true press- as they are bought and paid for by the Dem party.
In simpler words- they are no more than a propaganda organ--that lies as its prefereed method of communication.
The ones so engaged have put Pravda to shame, imho.
And we should never expect integrity(truth) from scum that far gone--never..-Tyr

Russ
11-13-2021, 12:48 PM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

The shocking thing is not that trust in MSM is collapsing, it's that any leftist would ever notice or acknowledge it. People never see themselves, they only notice these things in others. (Except the people on this board, of course!)

Gunny
11-13-2021, 06:16 PM
Good a place as any. Been meaning to post this somewhere :)

So my cell is loaded with whatever google loads on cell phones, or AT&T or whoever. Google chooses random BS to put on the news age. I've left it as is so I can f*ck with it :)

I listen to Fleetwood Mac as just one of those bands from my day that I listen to. To this day, I know what (if I choose to) what the latest Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham rumors are. That crap refreshes every damned day. Pretty much on anything informative but not really important you casually read.

News? Was bad enough when the MSM basically quit covering it. Definitely not covering Biden anymore. So, I started punching in OAN, Fox, Breitbart, Sky News Australia, BBC and what do I get on my default page?

Double-down on CNN stories, OR who gives a crap stuff. Today, I have to scroll past some town in Europe sinking into the sea as a headliner

Earth has a second moon

Infamous Ohio bank robber who disappeared 50 years ID'd as dead man

Social Security schedule

Oh wait -- How Dead White Man's Clothing is Clogging the Global South :laugh:

Here's one: Chris Christie Wants the post-Trump GOP to move past 2020

An article on Rittenhouse addressing tech disputes

Lebron James mouth

Accusing Gov Abbott of bringing back book burnings

I've been letting this ride. My phone is trying to tell me what I'm interest in. Rather, google is. Then I have to wonder how may of the airheads out there DON'T notice it?

Just an observation :)