PDA

View Full Version : MoveOn.org's thin skin

stephanie
10-01-2007, 02:33 AM
this is an opinion piece written for the LA Times..I'm surprised they let it run...But, this cease and desist letter has been all over the net....Way Friggin Funny....:laugh2:

MoveOn.org's thin skin
MoveOn.org's excessively discounted broadside against General David Petraeus in the New York Times two weeks ago won't rank as its most successful tactic. The full-page nastygram appears not only to have solidified Republican opposition in the Senate for proposals to curtail the Iraq war effort, but also to have shaken the group's rich Hollywood funding base.

So it's not too surprising that the liberal advocacy group would be a mite touchy from all the blowback online, even though it should be used to the abuse by now. So touchy, in fact, that it's been sending out cease-and-desist letters to CafePress, a website that lets people offer custom-designed t-shirts, coffee mugs and the like for sale. Last week it demanded that the site remove eight items, arguing that they violated MoveOn's merchandising trademarks.

Trademark law doesn't confer monopoly rights over all uses of a registered phrase or symbol, however, and it wasn't created simply to protect the trademark owner's interests. Instead, it's designed to protect consumers against being misled or confused about brands. The courts have repeatedly ruled in favor of parodies and critiques; that's why www.famousbrandnamesucks.com doesn't violate famousbrandname's trademark. And most, if not all, of the items targeted by MoveOn were clearly designed to razz it, not to trick buyers into thinking they were the group's products.

Beyond that, it's amazing that MoveOn would try to squelch political speech. That's another clear purpose of the targeted items. Take, for example, this message on a t-shirt designed by a lifelong Democrat from Southern California:

General Petraeus has done more for this country than MoveOn.org.
MoveOn.org, the worst friend a Democrat could have! Move Away from Move On!

read the rest and lots of comments at..
http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2007/09/moveonorgs-thin.html

This was a ad I came across today...I just had to save it cause of that cute little puppy dog..:laugh2:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/moveon.png

Joe Steel
10-01-2007, 07:31 AM
According to his boss, General Betrayus is an "a**-kissing, chickensh*t." He's a paper-pushing bureaucrat who's main interest is his own success.

Defending him as a hero is an insult to everyone who's worn the uniform.

You should be ashamed.

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 07:49 AM
According to his boss, General Betrayus is an "a**-kissing, chickensh*t." He's a paper-pushing bureaucrat who's main interest is his own success.

You should be ashamed.

Too bad you have no proof of that other than a biased website claiming anonymous sources who even admit they weren't there. Want to buy a bridge I own?

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Too funny! little jo jo started replying to this thread over half an hour ago and has since disappeared from the radar. I guess he's lost in the drooling left websites looking for credible proof that he'll never find. :laugh2:

Sir Evil
10-01-2007, 09:32 AM

You should be ashamed.

Too funny coming from a guy with a cute little flowered avatar, chikenshits are best words to be left for the hit&run posters like yourself steel magnolias..

Joe Steel
10-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow!

You guys are really desperate.

You're counting the minutes between postings and criticizing avatars.

That's even worse than taking note of spelling errors.

BoogyMan
10-01-2007, 10:32 AM

You should be ashamed.

Ah, another methane breather quoting an anonymously sourced allegation as if it were true.

Joe Steel
10-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Here.

Inter Press Service News Agency
Monday, October 01, 2007 15:27 GMT

U.S.-IRAQ:

Fallon Derided Petraeus, Opposed the Surge (http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=39235)

Gareth Porter*

WASHINGTON, Sep 12 (IPS) - In sharp contrast to the lionisation of Gen. David Petraeus by members of the U.S. Congress during his testimony this week, Petraeus's superior, Admiral William Fallon, chief of the Central Command (CENTCOM), derided Petraeus as a sycophant during their first meeting in Baghdad last March, according to Pentagon sources familiar with reports of the meeting.

Fallon told Petraeus that he considered him to be "an ass-kissing little chickenshit" and added, "I hate people like that", the sources say. That remark reportedly came after Petraeus began the meeting by making remarks that Fallon interpreted as trying to ingratiate himself with a superior.

A crucial element of Petraeus's path of advancement in the Army, on the other hand, was through serving as an aide to senior generals. He was assistant executive officer to the Army Chief of Staff, Gen. Carl Vuono, and later executive assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. Henry Shelton. His experience taught him that cultivating senior officers is the key to success.

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Here.

And that's the exact article I was speaking of that is biased and quotes anonymous sources! :laugh2:

Then the drooling retards all over the internet get into a frenzy over it and relay the same message on all the dopey websites, and dopes like you repeat it as fact, only to look like and idiot!

Care to give a CREDIBLE source for this? Any idea why none of the MSM carried this? I'll tell you why, because they don't fall for this crap like retards do! :laugh2:

BoogyMan
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Here.

Joe, did you ever wonder why the only people outside of IPS that actually treated that as news was the KOS-tard crowd?

Egads man.

Little-Acorn
10-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Fellows, the only reason little joe posts this stuff, is to get attention and see how many people respond to him.

Even after months of such tactics, looks like he's still found a few suckers.

Egads......

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Fellows, the only reason little joe posts this stuff, is to get attention and see how many people respond to him.

Even after months of such tactics, looks like he's still found a few suckers.

Egads......

Sucker? Hardly.... I just enjoy picking on the mentally challenged.

Joe Steel
10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
And that's the exact article I was speaking of that is biased and quotes anonymous sources! :laugh2:

Then the drooling retards all over the internet get into a frenzy over it and relay the same message on all the dopey websites, and dopes like you repeat it as fact, only to look like and idiot!

Care to give a CREDIBLE source for this? Any idea why none of the MSM carried this? I'll tell you why, because they don't fall for this crap like retards do! :laugh2:

Of course I know why the AmeriCorporate media don't cover thinks like this. Bias, Dizzy, bias.

Joe Steel
10-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Sucker? Hardly.... I just enjoy picking on the mentally challenged.

I know I'm having a great time.

The difference is, I really am picking on the mentally challenged.

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Of course I know why the AmeriCorporate media don't cover thinks like this. Bias, Dizzy, bias.

Not even a single MSM left wing site is covering this story, yet idiots like you read these op-ed pieces on blogs and start drooling over where else you can re-post it.

There's not a single piece of corroboration on the entire internet other than what this dimwit wrote via an anonymous source.

The MSM covers negative news about our military, it's leaders and the Bush administration on an almost daily basis, yet no coverage whatsoever of this story.

Do you seriously fail to realize what a schmuck you look like for falling for shit like this? :laugh2:

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I know I'm having a great time.

The difference is, I really am picking on the mentally challenged.

Sure, jo jo, that's how come even on the forums for the St. Louis newspapers, your own local bunch think you're an idiot too! :laugh2:

Joe Steel
10-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Sure, jo jo, that's how come even on the forums for the St. Louis newspapers, your own local bunch think you're an idiot too! :laugh2:

Of course they do.

Do you think you're special, that you're the only mentally-challenged bunch online?

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Of course they do.

Do you think you're special, that you're the only mentally-challenged bunch online?

So, where's the deal with your quote? Do you have anything to fall on other than the one biased story? Do you have ANYTHING factual?

10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Of course they do.

youd think, considering your track record of being wrong, that youd actually realize that maybe everyone but you isnt mentally challenged.'

Joe Steel
10-01-2007, 07:18 PM
So, where's the deal with your quote? Do you have anything to fall on other than the one biased story? Do you have ANYTHING factual?

Given the recent history of the America media, I wouldn't expect any American outlet to report it.

Take it or leave it.

Joe Steel
10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
youd think, considering your track record of being wrong, that youd actually realize that maybe everyone but you isnt mentally challenged.'

My track record of being wrong is 0.000 so, of course, they're challenged.

Kathianne
10-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Here.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/09/military_fallon_petraeus_070917w/

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 08:10 PM
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/09/military_fallon_petraeus_070917w/

Excellent find, Kathianne! I rest my case!

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Given the recent history of the America media, I wouldn't expect any American outlet to report it.

Take it or leave it.

I think I'll leave you and your kooky left wing sites behind, and wrong, again! I prefer to listen to the words directly from the sources themselves, as Kathianne so kindly provided for us.

:dance:

Don't you wish you could just ONCE use that dancing smiley, jo jo? Too bad you need to be proven correct in order to enjoy it a much as I do! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
10-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I think I'll leave you and your kooky left wing sites behind, and wrong, again! I prefer to listen to the words directly from the sources themselves, as Kathianne so kindly provided for us.

:dance:

Don't you wish you could just ONCE use that dancing smiley, jo jo? Too bad you need to be proven correct in order to enjoy it a much as I do! :laugh2:

Time for a well-deserved beer, Jim. And buy one for Kathianne, too. :salute:

Kathianne
10-01-2007, 08:25 PM

LOL! I'm waiting, Jim! :coffee:

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 08:25 PM

I only deserve a beer for not being retarded enough to believe anything I read on the internet without doing a little due diligence first. Kathianne truly deserves the credit for ripping this myth apart!