PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse Scientology, Communism or Islam?

tailfins
11-29-2021, 01:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of studying the particulars of dysfunctional ideologies, but rather identifying which common dysfunctional qualities feed them. While I see some of you focusing on Islam, I notice the damage caused by those who have been conditioned to lose their ability to think critically. This happens under Communism, Corporate America, Islam, Scientology or any religious cult with an authoritarian boss. How do you treat those who are missing the ability to think critically? Can you really hate someone for being mentally maimed? Unfortunately, it's this type of person who does the "dirty work" of their bosses. They simply don't have the wherewithal to question what they have been told to do.

It's hard to describe, but often there's this zombie-like trait that presents itself. This type of person isn't argumentative or even unpleasant.

One memorable example: There was this sugar cane juice stand in Cuba with ice-cold, perfectly harvested juice for 4 cents USD per glass. It had this annoying photo of Fidel Castro prominently displayed. When no one else was around, I asked about this horrid photo. I discovered that displaying such means not being shut down by an inspector. When a bureaucrat's boss wants to shut you down, they can cite a couple of flies near your dirty dishes as "fly infestation". It's the same story all over. If you ask a proprietor with no one else around whether they actually support the Communist party, the most common answer is "I never gave it much thought". That's how it works. They just obey without giving it much thought.

SassyLady
11-30-2021, 01:48 AM
I'm not a big fan of studying the particulars of dysfunctional ideologies, but rather identifying which common dysfunctional qualities feed them. While I see some of you focusing on Islam, I notice the damage caused by those who have been conditioned to lose their ability to think critically. This happens under Communism, Corporate America, Islam, Scientology or any religious cult with an authoritarian boss. How do you treat those who are missing the ability to think critically? Can you really hate someone for being mentally maimed? Unfortunately, it's this type of person who does the "dirty work" of their bosses. They simply don't have the wherewithal to question what they have been told to do.

It's hard to describe, but often there's this zombie-like trait that presents itself. This type of person isn't argumentative or even unpleasant.

One memorable example: There was this sugar cane juice stand in Cuba with ice-cold, perfectly harvested juice for 4 cents USD per glass. It had this annoying photo of Fidel Castro prominently displayed. When no one else was around, I asked about this horrid photo. I discovered that displaying such means not being shut down by an inspector. When a bureaucrat's boss wants to shut you down, they can cite a couple of flies near your dirty dishes as "fly infestation". It's the same story all over. If you ask a proprietor with no one else around whether they actually support the Communist party, the most common answer is "I never gave it much thought". That's how it works. They just obey without giving it much thought.

It takes more energy to resist than to comply. And, it's hard to maintain critical thinking when all available info is propagandized.

Gunny
11-30-2021, 02:26 PM

Does it not depend on which society you are brought up in and what it teaches you is right and wrong? I've noticed most if not all societies never give much thought to the fact that right and wrong is not inherent in Man. It is taught. Society and government are constructs of Man, not nature. And we are more than willing to kill you over it.

SassyLady
11-30-2021, 03:45 PM
Does it not depend on which society you are brought up in and what it teaches you is right and wrong? I've noticed most if not all societies never give much thought to the fact that right and wrong is not inherent in Man. It is taught. Society and government are constructs of Man, not nature. And we are more than willing to kill you over it.

So true.

FriendlyFriend
02-20-2023, 12:05 PM
Communism

fj1200
02-20-2023, 12:53 PM
Scientology. Least worst.

revelarts
02-20-2023, 03:23 PM
You mean like many people wearing mask when the authority tells them to... without any critical thinking or questions and being insistent that everyone else comply as well?
or taking experimental medications?

or... (apologies ahead of time..but it's must be said)
A bunch of people going to foreign countries they never heard of to kill other people on orders without questions or critical thinking?

FriendlyFriend
02-20-2023, 04:59 PM
Scientology. Least worst.
No, communism is worse.

fj1200
02-21-2023, 08:17 PM
No, communism is worse.

I only said that Scientology was the least worst. At least they don't use the power of the state to suppress the individual. Pretty much all communist countries do but only some Islamic states do.