PDA

View Full Version : Who here knows anything about HVAC units?

jimnyc
12-01-2021, 01:08 PM
Anyone?

MtnBiker
12-01-2021, 01:14 PM
I don’t know anything. What is going on? No heat? Is there water at the base of the unit?

jimnyc
12-01-2021, 01:33 PM
Still no heat this year due to the last flood in our house. They are here replacing it today and completion tomorrow.

We had an older "Bryant" unit paired off with a 30yr old compressor outside. All getting replaced today.

We have a small 2 floor home and the heat is decent when it works. My only complaint ever was poor ventilation here upstairs. Not sure if a larger unit helps with that at all? And then also, is this unit we are getting by "Trane" any good? I know nothing at all about this crap, other than this is an expensive job for this money pit.

I think this is it anyway as the quote was for 1 new TRANE 80,000 btu furnace...

https://shophomeguardian.com/products/trane-xc80m-80-000-btu-80-afue-variable-speed-furnace

NightTrain
12-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Anyone?

They both suck and blow.

I'll show myself out.

hjmick
12-01-2021, 03:53 PM
I know enough to call someone who knows more than I do...

MtnBiker
12-01-2021, 04:07 PM
They both suck and blow.

Haha, that's a great one, I will have to remember and use at the right moment.

Jim, I believe the Tranes are good furnaces and replacing the AC at the same time is the thing to do. So all things considered I think the price tag is decent. I have a 3 level house, heating and cooling can be a challenge. The ceiling fans help quit a bit.

tailfins
12-01-2021, 04:29 PM
They both suck and blow.

I'll show myself out.

I didn't know that Kamala Harris was an HVAC unit.

fj1200
12-01-2021, 04:30 PM
Still no heat this year due to the last flood in our house. They are here replacing it today and completion tomorrow.

We had an older "Bryant" unit paired off with a 30yr old compressor outside. All getting replaced today.

We have a small 2 floor home and the heat is decent when it works. My only complaint ever was poor ventilation here upstairs. Not sure if a larger unit helps with that at all? And then also, is this unit we are getting by "Trane" any good? I know nothing at all about this crap, other than this is an expensive job for this money pit.

I think this is it anyway as the quote was for 1 new TRANE 80,000 btu furnace...

https://shophomeguardian.com/products/trane-xc80m-80-000-btu-80-afue-variable-speed-furnace

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with Trane but the problem with 1 unit for two floors is trying to pump the hot air to the second floor and if the duct work is properly sized to handle it. Before we redid our upstairs the ductwork was useless for actually doing anything on the second floor but there were other issues. The solution for us anyway was two different units because we had everything open. A larger unit might help you but if there's also no way for the return air to get back to the furnace that would also block its efficiency and ventilation.

Good luck.

MtnBiker
12-01-2021, 04:35 PM
I didn't know that Kamala Harris was an HVAC unit.

Whoa, I can't imagine how worn out that unit must be.

icansayit
12-01-2021, 08:21 PM
Before we came here. We had a two-story 1400 sq. ft with HVAC and we learned as a TRANE was installed about 12 years ago. The ventilation system...(DUCTS within the walls and ceilings) need to be sealed correctly...(no tiny holes) and aluminum tape around the filter system in the house. Most of your heat, and air escape through the roof...and in the crawl space above your ceilings.
A good cleanout also helps after many years with a check for visiting homesteading CRITTERS that found their way into the roof.

GOOD LUCK. Sorry no more about the electrical portion.

jimnyc
12-02-2021, 11:44 AM
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with Trane but the problem with 1 unit for two floors is trying to pump the hot air to the second floor and if the duct work is properly sized to handle it. Before we redid our upstairs the ductwork was useless for actually doing anything on the second floor but there were other issues. The solution for us anyway was two different units because we had everything open. A larger unit might help you but if there's also no way for the return air to get back to the furnace that would also block its efficiency and ventilation.

Good luck.

That's been our problem from day one. I assume the duct work was designed well at the time, but now trying to have 2 bedrooms up here with crappy ventilation...

We would need to have some massive work done, or a 2nd unit somehow like you pointed out. But with the total cost of this plus the compressor + labor... and then we just replaced some industrial sump pumps outside & had electrical work done and the motherboard replaced for the unit to run the pumps outside.

The good news is that we officially have heat back on today!! Been back on since like 10am and feels warm already but thermostat is still at 62 for now. Was down to 53 the other day! And no more blowing circuits from space heaters around the house.