darin
02-05-2007, 12:18 PM
http://www.woot.com/

5stringJeff
02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Just bought one.

darin
02-05-2007, 12:27 PM
:D I paid $14 for a 2GB Micro drive...this is betta, IMO.

:)

KitchenKitten99
02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.woot.com/

where was this 6 months ago when I bought my 4GB stick for $50???? And that was on sale!

darin
02-05-2007, 12:37 PM
where was this 6 months ago when I bought my 4GB stick for $50???? And that was on sale!

woot was here...I've been checking the site often for more than a year. :)

:D

pegwinn
02-05-2007, 03:42 PM
That really sux. I bought wifey a 2 gig stick for like sixty bux and got me and the youngest a dual pack of256 megs for 60 about six months ago at comp usa. I hate missing a bargain. Wow, maybe i do have a feminine side. At least like all good wimmin it is focused on my needs.

Ok I am ducking and running for cover.

KitchenKitten99
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
woot was here...I've been checking the site often for more than a year. :)

i bought mine from Dell cuz they actually had the best price and I was able to get it overnighted for free because i had a coupon for being a frequent customer. I guess stuff like this goes down in price so fast now, I don't even pay that much attention. :dunno:

CockySOB
02-05-2007, 06:08 PM
This is not a USB flash drive, but a USB connected portable micro-drive. Notice the RPM speed rating? That means it's one of last year's close-outs.

The 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drives are coing down in price, but the best prices I've seen for teh flash drives in 4GB are around US$40. The flash drives are MUCH faster than the portable micro-drives.

Just FYI. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there is a difference. Personally, I'm waiting for the 16 GB USB 2.0 flash drives to come in under US$100 which should be this quarter.

pegwinn
02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
If my limited computer knowlege is correct shouldn't the following be true:

Flash drives are essentially the same as RAM.

So if we place the operating system on the PC HARD DRIVE and all Applications and Data on Flash drive, you should see a speed increase?

CockySOB
02-05-2007, 06:24 PM
If my limited computer knowlege is correct shouldn't the following be true:

Flash drives are essentially the same as RAM.

So if we place the operating system on the PC HARD DRIVE and all Applications and Data on Flash drive, you should see a speed increase?

Or install your OS directly to the flash drive and watch everything go much faster. Of course flash drives don't hold up as well as platter-based drive technology, so you'll tend to wear out your flash drive faster than you'd wear out a comparably-sized platter-based drive.

Actually, I prefer to run portable applications off of my flash drive (http://portableapps.com ) such as ThunderBird and FireFox. That way I can take my thumbdrive anywhere and have the correct version of the apps as well as the data with me at all times. I leave the OS on the hard drive for now for the simplicity.

pegwinn
02-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Or install your OS directly to the flash drive and watch everything go much faster. Of course flash drives don't hold up as well as platter-based drive technology, so you'll tend to wear out your flash drive faster than you'd wear out a comparably-sized platter-based drive. Thanks. I figured that a flash drive would last longer with no moving parts

Actually, I prefer to run portable applications off of my flash drive (http://portableapps.com ) such as ThunderBird and FireFox. That way I can take my thumbdrive anywhere and have the correct version of the apps as well as the data with me at all times. I leave the OS on the hard drive for now for the simplicity. Just thunk of something. Say I wanted to install a CAD application to a flash drive, it wouldn't work since there are registry entries to consider. Damn, I have a great idea and I wanted to convince that it was worth his time to let me work on it at work. But, he is a freak about not installing anything on the machines above the absolute minimum to run the shop. I appreciate the input though, thanks.

Gonna check out the portable apps link as well. Points for you dude.

KitchenKitten99
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
This is not a USB flash drive, but a USB connected portable micro-drive. Notice the RPM speed rating? That means it's one of last year's close-outs.

The 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drives are coing down in price, but the best prices I've seen for teh flash drives in 4GB are around US$40. The flash drives are MUCH faster than the portable micro-drives.

Just FYI. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there is a difference. Personally, I'm waiting for the 16 GB USB 2.0 flash drives to come in under US$100 which should be this quarter.

this is good to know-I didn't know there was a difference

darin
02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
You guys are puter nerds.

CockySOB
02-06-2007, 06:44 PM

That's Professor Computer Nerd to you!

KitchenKitten99
02-06-2007, 07:47 PM

nothing wrong with being a nerd, the 'king of all nerds' Bill Gates makes millions if not billions of dollars every year...