PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go in the US if seeking a good budget place to relocate?

tailfins
12-11-2021, 10:58 AM
I researched a bit of this out of curiosity. I found these places with a selection of houses under $90K.

Hannibal, MO
Terre Haute, IN
Monett, MO
Van Buren, AR
Muskogee, OK
Waterloo, IA
Wichita, KS
Lubbock, TX
Abilene, TX

Where might you go if looking to downsize your costs?

Hot Dogger
12-11-2021, 11:10 AM
I researched a bit of this out of curiosity. I found these places with a selection of houses under $90K.

Hannibal, MO
Terre Haute, IN
Monett, MO
Van Buren, AR
Muskogee, OK
Waterloo, IA

I'd avoid Waterloo, Iowa. Oh, Iowa is a great country, only problem is - too many Iowans. Honestly, every time I go across the bridge, it's like going into a foreign country. It's bad enough here in Galena with all the Chicagoans, let me tell you.

Galena is home of US Grant, one of our most interesting and greatest of political leaders. He employed Native Americans as a general, as president he stopped their genocide, and it was he who actually freed the slaves, not Lincoln.

Muskogee is no good if you like cannabis and dislike Jesus, avoid like the plague. Those other places are probably okay, provided you can smoke weed and never go to church.

SassyLady
12-11-2021, 12:22 PM

Hannibal, MO
Terre Haute, IN
Monett, MO
Van Buren, AR
Muskogee, OK
Waterloo, IA
Wichita, KS
Lubbock, TX
Abilene, TX

First ... I will never live in the city limits. Would need to find acreage about 15 or more miles out. Would look for something to be self sustaining. Also, do research on local politics and regulations. Check crime stats.

Way more to look into than the price of a house.

fj1200
12-11-2021, 02:41 PM

Do I need a job in a place like that?

Gunny
12-11-2021, 03:20 PM
Do I need a job in a place like that?What they don't tell you is you can't just live in places like those. Not the ones in TX, OK or KS. You have to be from there.

tailfins
12-11-2021, 04:07 PM
Do I need a job in a place like that?

The internet is good enough in places like that to work remotely. That's why places such as Dalhart, TX; Mountain View, AR or Montezuma, IN are not on the list.

tailfins
12-11-2021, 04:09 PM
What they don't tell you is you can't just live in places like those. Not the ones in TX, OK or KS. You have to be from there.

From what I hear, those are fine retirement destinations. I presume that they have good enough internet for remote work. One place that comes to mind if hybrid become the dominate work arrangement is Waco, TX. That makes both DFW and Austin accessible one day per week.

Gunny
12-11-2021, 06:26 PM
From what I hear, those are fine retirement destinations. I presume that they have good enough internet for remote work. One place that comes to mind if hybrid become the dominate work arrangement is Waco, TX. That makes both DFW and Austin accessible one day per week.

I would, and do, consider living anywhere near I-35 a negative. Driving to Austin, or from Austin to Dallas is a fate worse than death to me and I know more than a couple of routes that may take longer but avoid that trip. Where they haven't torn up the land to slap up some empty boxes, 35 is under construction so they can. Used to be a nice country drive between cities. People suck.

If I was looking at moving "west" (of here), I'd consider San Angelo. Maybe Midland-Odessa. Cheapskate-wise, the Panhandle is supposed to be a okay. You mentioned Abilene -- Amarillo last I looked eons ago was fairly inexpensive.

Pretty much every place you mentioned from Wichita to Abilene is Bible Belt. Have to account for that.

Hot Dogger
12-11-2021, 06:52 PM
Maybe Midland-Odessa. Cheapskate-wise, the Panhandle is supposed to be a okay. You mentioned Abilene -- Amarillo last I looked eons ago was fairly inexpensive.

Pretty much every place you mentioned from Wichita to Abilene is Bible Belt. Have to account for that.

An old army pal lives in Midland near what resembles the craters of the moon on Google maps, a lot of oil fields. So if you move there don't forget to bring your lunar rover and some kitty litter. Midland is said to be the 2nd best place to live in Texas, affordable too.

SassyLady
12-12-2021, 11:00 AM
Midland smells.

tailfins
12-12-2021, 11:18 AM
I would, and do, consider living anywhere near I-35 a negative. Driving to Austin, or from Austin to Dallas is a fate worse than death to me and I know more than a couple of routes that may take longer but avoid that trip. Where they haven't torn up the land to slap up some empty boxes, 35 is under construction so they can. Used to be a nice country drive between cities. People suck.

If I was looking at moving "west" (of here), I'd consider San Angelo. Maybe Midland-Odessa. Cheapskate-wise, the Panhandle is supposed to be a okay. You mentioned Abilene -- Amarillo last I looked eons ago was fairly inexpensive.

I forgot about Amarillo. Whether remote or hybrid becomes the norm in IT will be a deciding factor. Living in Amarillo somewhat puts Denver and DFW within hybrid range for a couple times per month.

fj1200
12-12-2021, 03:11 PM
What they don't tell you is you can't just live in places like those. Not the ones in TX, OK or KS. You have to be from there.

The internet is good enough in places like that to work remotely. That's why places such as Dalhart, TX; Mountain View, AR or Montezuma, IN are not on the list.

A guy has a youtube channel, world according to Briggs, where he goes over places that you can live under $1500 per month. Mostly there are no to few jobs so either work remotely or be retired. For me I'd also like to throw in places near that are worth going to as part of recreation; mountains and such.