PDA

View Full Version : Jussie Smollett is already disgraced. Does he really need to be imprisoned?

jimnyc
12-12-2021, 03:15 PM
The writer here is a black man. Not saying he is racist or anything negative really at all, just pointing out that fact.

And with all of the division in our current society, if this was a white man and the roles were reversed, most likely things would be much more heated and demands would be made. No justice no peace. And I wouldn't blame anyone.

We're talking a beating and placing a noose on someone and the MAGA comments. The noose instantly brought back lynching thoughts & the comments made it appear as if Trump supporters committed this crime. The possible reactions could possibly turn out tragic.

And the fact is, he committed crimes. That has consequences unfortunately. White, black, brown, yellow or any race or color - and the outcomes should be the same.

---

Jussie Smollett is already disgraced. Does he really need to be imprisoned?

Mary J. Blige has nine Grammys.

Jennifer Hudson has two and an Oscar.

Courtney Love is a rock legend, and Timbaland is one of the most successful producers in the history of recording.

And yet it was Jussie Smollett’s “Good Enough” that executives decided to make the lead song on the soundtrack for the first season of “Empire” — instead of a track from any of those legends involved in the show. The album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard chart in 2015 and went on to receive a Grammy nomination. Meanwhile the TV show, which at one point pulled in more than 17 million viewers, earned a handful of Emmy nominations.

Smollett was a rising star.

But today, he is a punchline.

“What the hell was he thinking?” Chris Rock asked the audience during the 2019 NAACP Image Awards, at which Smollett was a nominee. “From now on I ain’t never gonna [say] no ‘Jussie.’ You’re a Jessie from now on. You don’t get the ‘u’ no more. That ‘u’ was respect. You don’t get no respect from me.”

The fine I am more than OK with, but at this point, why send him to jail?

He’s lost his hit show and career. He’ll be mocked for this chapter, most likely for the rest of his life. It is a prison of a different sort. It is the prison in which the justice system decided to place former Rep. Aaron Schock. He had faced a 24-count indictment in 2016 alleging theft of government funds, filing false tax returns, filing false reports with federal election officials and wire fraud. But not long after Smollett was arrested in 2019, all of the charges against Schock were dropped by Chicago prosecutors under the conditions of good behavior and repaying the money.

Rest - https://news.yahoo.com/granderson-jussie-smollett-already-disgraced-205803612.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

fj1200
12-12-2021, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't bother me to much if he didn't but if this...

https://nypost.com/2021/12/11/jussie-smollett-is-in-matrix-of-arrogance-before-sentencing-experts/amp/

is true then some sort of admission of guilt should be a requirement IMO. There's probably no one around him that will call him out either.

Kathianne
12-12-2021, 03:36 PM
Wouldn't bother me to much if he didn't but if this...

https://nypost.com/2021/12/11/jussie-smollett-is-in-matrix-of-arrogance-before-sentencing-experts/amp/

is true then some sort of admission of guilt should be a requirement IMO. There's probably no one around him that will call him out either.

I agree. The only reason to imprison him would be failur to admit guilt, furthering the criminal reasoning.

jimnyc
12-12-2021, 04:05 PM
While I agree he is likely to get probation, I believe he should do time, however much that may be. Only due to the seriousness of the crime.

I understand that someone can't be charged/sentenced for what 'may have happened', but I think it should be considered in today's environment. Also the amount of time that the police invested and the costs as well. All considerations.

On top of them, he remained adamant throughout the trial that he was in fact assaulted. He still claims the same after the trial and stated he would appeal. In other words, zero remorse for everything this has caused. Also should be considered and I have seen plenty of judges do so. (OT, but one case that was a plea deal with the defense on a murder charge to avoid a much longer sentence. The lack of remorse almost had the judge deny the deal).

Now I'm not saying throw away the key, but celebrities and such have gotten this type of treatment for far too long. I think there should be more accountability due to the seriousness and the above factors.

Gunny
12-12-2021, 05:43 PM
Yes he should. For as long as it takes him to earn legitimately at the prison rate the amount of money his dog and pony show trial cost the taxpayers.

BoogyMan
12-12-2021, 05:51 PM
He lied to the police about an "attack" that never happened and further poisoned the national narrative around race and politics to a point that I am not sure we as a nation will come back from for many years. Even knowing that his attack was fraudulent people are still standing on their sides of the lines they drew when the "attack" supposedly happened.

He should do time.

MtnBiker
12-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Jussie committed a crime. Police resources were used to investigate a hoax rather than help actual victims of crime in Chicago. His hoax promoted more division and hate throughout the media, social media. Not only has Jussie not admitted guilt or remorse, neither has the multitudes of talking heads on various talk shows and news shows. Time served in prison is absolutely justified.

SassyLady
12-13-2021, 11:23 AM
He needs to serve time and repay the resources used to investigate the hoax.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-13-2021, 01:14 PM
He needs to serve time and repay the resources used to investigate the hoax.

First, he should be made to pay every dollar of the costs of the scam the useless. worthless POS caused.
Second, he should served at least 7 years without possibility of any type of parole.
Guy is pure scum. imho..
How any person can say that he should not serve time for his criminal act is to me the usual mentality that dem/libs spout off when it is one of their --guys--yet scream max punishment when it is a Republican/Conservative/ Christian, etc.
WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYBODY GO WITH THE USUAL DEM/LIB//LEFTIST/HOLLYWEIRD-- FFING HYPOCRISY??? -Tyr

Russ
12-13-2021, 07:46 PM
This lying jerk pulled a stunt that could have created race riots in Chicago. Riots that could have left other people injured or homeless.

If he doesn't spend time in prison, what's to prevent some other lying jerk from pulling a similar race-baiting stunt, but doing a better job at it? We might get more race riots and more defund the police demands.

I have no sympathy for this guy. He should be made to pay all the investigation costs AND he should go to jail. Make other people think twice before they do something similar.

By the way, for what it's worth I think one of the most disgusting things he did was to get his buddies to help out and then try to throw them under the bus when the story fell apart. Betrayal. As bad as everything else is, that made it worse.

Abbey Marie
12-14-2021, 12:20 PM
This lying jerk pulled a stunt that could have created race riots in Chicago. Riots that could have left other people injured or homeless.

If he doesn't spend time in prison, what's to prevent some other lying jerk from pulling a similar race-baiting stunt, but doing a better job at it? We might get more race riots and more defund the police demands.

I have no sympathy for this guy. He should be made to pay all the investigation costs AND he should go to jail. Make other people think twice before they do something similar.

By the way, for what it's worth I think one of the most disgusting things he did was to get his buddies to help out and then try to throw them under the bus when the story fell apart. Betrayal. As bad as everything else is, that made it worse.

Yup. Sentencing is often used as an example, especially in high-profile cases, to deter others from doing the same. As you’ve said, this is an area where such a deterrent is sorely needed.