PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy in Australia

SassyLady
12-16-2021, 09:26 PM
5 children died falling from bouncy castle that flew into the air from wind gust.

My stepson worked for one of these companies 20 years ago and we always had one or two at our big barbecues. Never had this happen and I can't imagine the devastation. Just heart breaking.

https://apnews.com/article/police-australia-tasmania-8fdf91bf55380317c5305250e0643e74

Kathianne
12-17-2021, 12:01 AM
5 children died falling from bouncy castle that flew into the air from wind gust.

My stepson worked for one of these companies 20 years ago and we always had one or two at our big barbecues. Never had this happen and I can't imagine the devastation. Just heart breaking.

https://apnews.com/article/police-australia-tasmania-8fdf91bf55380317c5305250e0643e74
I read that earlier. So horrible.

Juicer66
12-17-2021, 07:29 AM
Might get nasty once the investigation starts :-

All inflatables must have at least 6 anchor points. The operator manual will tell you how many there should be, and you should check to ensure they are all still in place and have not been removed
The ropes used to secure the inflatable should be in good condition and not stretched, frayed or rotten. Never use improvised tow ropes, eg bungee cord
If ground stakes cannot be used because of the surface (eg tarmac) use ballast with anchor points each weighing at least 163 kg and with suitable fixings to attach the guy ropes. The inflatable should be tightly secured to the ground so that the wind cannot get under it and lift it up

Just a relevant part of the safety schedule that is used in the UK . And presumably elsewhere .

With at least 9 children on the Bouncer it is difficult to imagine an accident occurring if staking has been done properly and with at least one adult monitoring all the time .
Somebody might soon be in a lot of trouble .

SassyLady
12-17-2021, 12:35 PM
Might get nasty once the investigation starts :-

All inflatables must have at least 6 anchor points. The operator manual will tell you how many there should be, and you should check to ensure they are all still in place and have not been removed
The ropes used to secure the inflatable should be in good condition and not stretched, frayed or rotten. Never use improvised tow ropes, eg bungee cord
If ground stakes cannot be used because of the surface (eg tarmac) use ballast with anchor points each weighing at least 163 kg and with suitable fixings to attach the guy ropes. The inflatable should be tightly secured to the ground so that the wind cannot get under it and lift it up

Just a relevant part of the safety schedule that is used in the UK . And presumably elsewhere .

With at least 9 children on the Bouncer it is difficult to imagine an accident occurring if staking has been done properly and with at least one adult monitoring all the time .
Somebody might soon be in a lot of trouble .
Where did you get this info? Most operators leave it and come back at end of day to pick them up. Never saw operators monitoring all day.

Gunny
12-17-2021, 02:40 PM

https://apnews.com/article/police-australia-tasmania-8fdf91bf55380317c5305250e0643e74I've seen this happen on video before. Isn't there some kind of rule to securing them to the ground? I would expect anyone with common sense wouldn't need a rule/law, but then, we Do live in that day and age :rolleyes:

SassyLady
12-19-2021, 12:47 PM
Another child has died. More info in this article

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-19/jumping-castle-tragedy-sees-devonport-community-grieving/100711932

icansayit
12-19-2021, 06:20 PM
I've seen this happen on video before. Isn't there some kind of rule to securing them to the ground? I would expect anyone with common sense wouldn't need a rule/law, but then, we Do live in that day and age :rolleyes:

Remember accidents like this before...and maybe....USED some rope or wire, and spikes in the ground...LIKE A TENT...to keep it on the ground.

Juicer66
12-20-2021, 06:36 AM
Where did you get this info? Most operators leave it and come back at end of day to pick them up. Never saw operators monitoring all day.

It is standard over here and I suspect in many other countries where safety is a real consideration , let alone a mandated matter .

Of course no operator is hired or donated to stand guard .

But responsible adults who are part of the party should watch their own children and want to curb over exuberance or even bullying .

jimnyc
12-20-2021, 12:12 PM
*** Removed ***

Is this an article? A collection of them? I don't see them at the links you posted which are generic homepage links. YOU NEED TO POST THE URL FROM THE EXACT PAGE/ARTICLE YOU ARE COPYING AND PASTING FROM.

I don't know how many time I can write "last time". I am trying my best to be polite and nice and patient. It is not difficult and the amount of times you are doing it makes me think it is either on purpose, or you are doing on purpose. Please post a direct URL for this article or articles.

Juicer66
12-20-2021, 12:35 PM
Is this an article? A collection of them? I don't see them at the links you posted which are generic homepage links. YOU NEED TO POST THE URL FROM THE EXACT PAGE/ARTICLE YOU ARE COPYING AND PASTING FROM.I don't know how many time I can write "last time". I am trying my best to be polite and nice and patient. It is not difficult and the amount of times you are doing it makes me think it is either on purpose, or you are doing on purpose. Please post a direct URL for this article or articles.

To ring the changes you could try , 'Steam lit', or , 'Tame silt" .

However , it was written specifically for Sassy Lady and concerns our Health and Safety Executive. I am sure everybody will be rushing to www.hse.gov.uk (http://www.hse.gov.uk) to find out more exciting details .Let alone H&S advice for bouncy castles . They will be foaming at the mouth down in Texas to see how the Brilliant Brits organise top level matters .

All was one and the same page from that top seller , Health and Safety in the UK today !

See excellent advice for Bungee Jumping and Diving off Cliffs-- not recommended for Vaxxers suffering from Brain Clouding .
And now dear Baby Jesus , let URL take the place of your esteemed Dad .I will practise at football matches -- URL . URL . URL ( You are hell ?)

jimnyc
12-20-2021, 01:53 PM
To ring the changes you could try , 'Steam lit', or , 'Tame silt" .

However , it was written specifically for Sassy Lady and concerns our Health and Safety Executive. I am sure everybody will be rushing to www.hse.gov.uk (http://www.hse.gov.uk) to find out more exciting details .Let alone H&S advice for bouncy castles . They will be foaming at the mouth down in Texas to see how the Brilliant Brits organise top level matters .

All was one and the same page from that top seller , Health and Safety in the UK today !

See excellent advice for Bungee Jumping and Diving off Cliffs-- not recommended for Vaxxers suffering from Brain Clouding .
And now dear Baby Jesus , let URL take the place of your esteemed Dad .I will practise at football matches -- URL . URL . URL ( You are hell ?)

Post/Article was removed, as will all future articles without citations.