PDA

View Full Version : Amazon forced workers to die in the recent tornado outbreak

tailfins
12-17-2021, 12:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-V_EDrJzU

SassyLady
12-17-2021, 01:03 PM
Employees and families of those who died are filing lawsuits as they should. However, I believe each individual is ultimately responsible for making the decision to stay or go. I don't think they were locked down in the facility.

darin
12-17-2021, 01:18 PM
I think I agree with you - We all have choices, every day, and almost nothing is completely forced upon anyone.

Abbey Marie
12-17-2021, 01:54 PM
We knew Amazon would be blamed. Very deep pockets.

If I had a home nearby with a basement, and I thought I could get there before the tornado was forecast to possibly arrive, nothing would have kept me there. Would also want to be with my family. Any other set of facts, and I’m staying at the factory.

Amazon is begging for employees right now more than ever. It’s doubtful they would have fired anyone for leaving.

I agree with you all that the decision is ultimately up to each individual. No one could know where that tornado would hit. It could have just as easily hit the homes those employees did not go to instead of the factory.

fj1200
12-18-2021, 12:21 PM
Amazon is begging for employees right now more than ever. It’s doubtful they would have fired anyone for leaving.

I think the disconnect is Amazon begging for employees and the supervisor at the moment is trying to get stuff delivered. But Amazon will be sued, they'll pay, they'll make changes, be better prepared in the future, life will go on even after tragic events.

Kathianne
12-18-2021, 12:44 PM
We knew Amazon would be blamed. Very deep pockets.

If I had a home nearby with a basement, and I thought I could get there before the tornado was forecast to possibly arrive, nothing would have kept me there. Would also want to be with my family. Any other set of facts, and I’m staying at the factory.

I agree with you all that the decision is ultimately up to each individual. No one could know where that tornado would hit. It could have just as easily hit the homes those employees did not go to instead of the factory.

Most of the country doesn't have basements, which always confused me, lol! Tornadoes are the big reason, I mean it's the last place you'd go for hurricane, wildfire, earthquake, etc., but life saver in those few tornado minutes.

BoogyMan
12-18-2021, 01:10 PM
Here in TX we don’t usually do basements but we do storm cellars. Similar but typically not attached to the home to keep home debris falling onto the doors from blocking the exit when the storm passes.

Most of the country doesn't have basements, which always confused me, lol! Tornadoes are the big reason, I mean it's the last place you'd go for hurricane, wildfire, earthquake, etc., but life saver in those few tornado minutes.

Kathianne
12-18-2021, 01:26 PM
Here in TX we don’t usually do basements but we do storm cellars. Similar but typically not attached to the home to keep home debris falling onto the doors from blocking the exit when the storm passes.
True. Makes sense, then again basement usually is same size of home footprint, though not covered in total home Sq footage. Storage and about 15 degrees cooler than non hvac on.

Kathianne
12-18-2021, 01:27 PM
True. Makes sense, then again basement usually is same size of home footprint, though not covered in total home Sq footage. Storage and about 15 degrees cooler than non hvac on.
In tornado warning, just like non- basement buildings, center safety.

BoogyMan
12-18-2021, 02:18 PM
I have always thought a basement would be neat. Kind of a rec-room office type arrangement but the soil here doesn’t work well for it either. When I retire will probably move somewhere to be able to get more than the 2 seasons we get here and might actually have a basement. :)

Kathianne
12-18-2021, 05:23 PM
I have always thought a basement would be neat. Kind of a rec-room office type arrangement but the soil here doesn’t work well for it either. When I retire will probably move somewhere to be able to get more than the 2 seasons we get here and might actually have a basement. :)
Guess the ground has lots to do with it. AZ is super rocky or sandy, no basement.

For most of our childhood basement was open and unfinished. Cement floor, brick walls, open beam ceiling. Remnants of both oil and ice deliveries, very old house. We roller skated, doing circles using water pipe, my mom yelling that the sink was jumping! We made haunted houses for neighborhood. I even vaguely remember riding my tricycle. Tons of space for storage.

SassyLady
12-18-2021, 05:36 PM
I lived in the panhandle of Texas until I was 8. Tornadoes and tornado weather was something I thought the whole world dealt with. We had a storm shelter away from house and one time we didn't make it and crawled under the beds. Broke out all the windows and took off roof and delivered it and the front porch to the cattle corral.

Moved to California and couldn't believe people had no shelters or basements. My school in Texas had the gym underground. We went there to play in bad weather when everything outside was covered in snow.

fj1200
12-18-2021, 07:35 PM

Historically I don't think anyone built for a tornado or any disaster unless it becomes code (government) driven like for hurricanes on the coast or earthquakes on the west coast. In the north basements because you're already digging down. Here in GA there typically only basements if you're building on a sloped lot.

Kathianne
12-18-2021, 09:25 PM
Historically I don't think anyone built for a tornado or any disaster unless it becomes code (government) driven like for hurricanes on the coast or earthquakes on the west coast. In the north basements because you're already digging down. Here in GA there typically only basements if you're building on a sloped lot.

Could be, though I've never known anyone in IL,WI,IN, or IA without a basement. Didn't matter if it was 19th C. house or 21st C.

tailfins
12-19-2021, 09:49 AM
When I lived in Massachusetts/New Hampshire, they call them cellars. Some were made out of stone with plaster to fill the holes. They were traditionally used for cool storage before refrigerators were common. It's still considered "upscale" to have a wine cellar. Cellars are especially useful in the summer for houses that don't have air conditioning.

Gunny
12-19-2021, 12:00 PM
Here in TX we don’t usually do basements but we do storm cellars. Similar but typically not attached to the home to keep home debris falling onto the doors from blocking the exit when the storm passes.You can't have a basement here in San Antonio. Water table is too high. Basements would flood.

Our water comes from the Edwards Aquifer. Could be wrong, but I think any kind of digging after a certain depth has to be permitted. Meaning you can't wreck the eco system they're so all-fired worried about without the proper amount of cash :rolleyes: