Jann Wenner is a hack.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees 2007:

Disco group Chic

Hip-hop pioneer Afrika Bambaataa

John Mellencamp

White rappers the Beastie Boys

Disco queen Donna Summer

Madonna

Last year Wenner threw out a vote in which the Dave Clark Five was voted in and changed it for another round that favored rappers Grandmaster Flash. WTF?! Grandmaster Flash before the Dave Clark 5?

Then we have this year's that list of '80s has beens?

Those performers get in before these people and bands:

Iggy Pop and the Stooges

"Fifth Beatle" Billy Preston

Performer/producer Todd Rundgren

The Moody Blues

Chicago

Hall & Oates

Yes

Genesis

J. Geils Band

Alice Cooper

KISS

Carly Simon

Linda Ronstadt

Carole King (for "Tapestry" at least. She has been inducted with ex-husband Gerry Goffin as a writer)

Neil Sedaka

Neil Diamond

Laura Nyro

Leon Russell

Glen Campbell

Sonny Bono

Tina Turner

Dionne Warwick

Mary Wells

The Marvelettes

The Spinners

Ben E. King

Carla and Rufus Thomas

Darlene Love

Joe Tex

Al Green

Chubby Checker

John Fogerty

Lou Reed

Peter Gabriel

Ringo Starr

Tom Waits

Steve Winwood

Diana Ross

Steve Miller

Sonny Burgess (the man behind Elvis Presley)

Randy Newman

The Hollies

Tom Jones

Mitch Ryder

Cat Stevens

Poco

Aaron Neville

The Turtles

Gram Parsons

Three Dog Night

The list goes on, but just so we all understand this...Madonna BEFORE Al Green? Are they fucking serious? John Mellencamp BEFORE Randy Newman? WTF?!

BOYCOTT ROLLING STONE!!

Sir Evil
10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
That mag sucks, always has. kind of like truthmatters, they base everything of polls, and have very little to do with reality.

Gaffer
10-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Never have and never will buy or read rolling stone.

What do disco groups and rap have to do with Rock and Roll? It's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame not the pop hall of fame.

dan
10-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Their definition of 'rock n roll' is way too broad. I definitely think Madonna was a pioneer of her particular musical style, but that style was absolutely nothing like rock and roll. Same with the Beastie Boys.

Incidentally, if I had to pick one on that list to be included, it'd be the Beasties. I doubt many of you will agree with me, but they're some of the best, most innovative musicians in popular music today.

I'm unclear on what the second list is of? Are they supposed to be has-beens? I'm confused.

Abbey Marie
10-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Just another music-related business pandering to the lowest common denominator.

mrg666
10-02-2007, 11:09 AM
madonna rocks :laugh2:

hjmick
10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Their definition of 'rock n roll' is way too broad. I definitely think Madonna was a pioneer of her particular musical style, but that style was absolutely nothing like rock and roll. Same with the Beastie Boys.

Incidentally, if I had to pick one on that list to be included, it'd be the Beasties. I doubt many of you will agree with me, but they're some of the best, most innovative musicians in popular music today.

I'm unclear on what the second list is of? Are they supposed to be has-beens? I'm confused.

The second list is a list of people who are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Sir Evil
10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
madonna rocks :laugh2:

:laugh2:

damn brits..

dan
10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
The second list is a list of people who are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I see. Lou Reed and Tom Waits definitely belong in there. Same as Iggy Pop and the Stooges. I disagree on KISS, though, they've always been much better at selling an image than they've ever been at making great music.

Nukeman
10-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I had a subscription to RS magazine for years, liked to read the ultra liberal side of things :laugh2:

I had enough when they put that FAT BASTARD MICHAEL MOORE on the cover I called and told them to cancel my sub and send me all my money back. They actually did it to. I cant believe how utterly liberal and horendous that rag is. the only thing its good for any more is starting fires..

I hate that magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrg666
10-02-2007, 02:44 PM

damn brits..

hey without us you wouldn't get your 4th july holiday
:salute:

hjmick
10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
hey without us you wouldn't get your 4th july holiday
:salute:

And without us you'd be speaking German. :salute: :laugh2: :D

mrg666
10-02-2007, 03:17 PM
"achtung"
some of the greatest americans had british roots , english , irish and scottish
(maybe a welsh man in there)

hjmick
10-02-2007, 03:27 PM
"achtung"
some of the greatest americans had british roots , english , irish and scottish
(maybe a welsh man in there)

This is also true. But we forgive them. LOL. ;)

Could you guys possibly take back my ex-wife and her mother?

dan
10-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I had a subscription to RS magazine for years, liked to read the ultra liberal side of things :laugh2:

I had enough when they put that FAT BASTARD MICHAEL MOORE on the cover I called and told them to cancel my sub and send me all my money back. They actually did it to. I cant believe how utterly liberal and horendous that rag is. the only thing its good for any more is starting fires..

I hate that magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's nothing new, though, it's always been very liberal.

PostmodernProphet
10-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Chicago isn't in?....how can Chicago not be in?.......

5stringJeff
10-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Rolling Stone is the crappiest music magazine I've ever read.

Said1
10-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I found a few issues of Circus magazine in someone's recycle box dated 1991. Priceless. Axel Rose before he had a gut. :laugh2:

dan
10-02-2007, 09:20 PM
RS caters to what is popular at any given time, regardless of its musical quality.

Blender is surprisingly good, for a mainstream music mag. Spin is okay, but it's waaaaay too cooler-than-thou. My favorite music mag is Paste Magazine, it's out of Decatur, GA, and they have a pretty great selection of all kinds of music and movies that you probably wouldn't hear about elsewhere.

Regardless, I get most of my music news from Stereogum and Pitchfork these days, anyway.

mrg666
10-03-2007, 01:16 AM
This is also true. But we forgive them. LOL. ;)

Could you guys possibly take back my ex-wife and her mother?

are they hot :laugh2: