PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Entertainment

Gunny
01-20-2022, 11:05 AM
So, it's currently 36 degrees here, heading for a high of 38 and an overnight low of 28. We're expecting the "wintry mix" (freezing rain/light snow/sleet) this afternoon. IF the trace amounts stick, it'll be overnight and gone tomorrow.

Half the city is shut down for this "major winter storm". When I lived in IL and NoVA, this wouldn't even rate a glance out the window :rolleyes:

I guarantee though there will be power outages in some places, and wrecks all over the place. Cuz that's how we roll down here :laugh:

jimnyc
01-20-2022, 01:01 PM
So, it's currently 36 degrees here, heading for a high of 38 and an overnight low of 28. We're expecting the "wintry mix" (freezing rain/light snow/sleet) this afternoon. IF the trace amounts stick, it'll be overnight and gone tomorrow.

Half the city is shut down for this "major winter storm". When I lived in IL and NoVA, this wouldn't even rate a glance out the window :rolleyes:

I guarantee though there will be power outages in some places, and wrecks all over the place. Cuz that's how we roll down here :laugh:

When did you live in Virginia? It is what ya mean by "NoVa", no? Norther Virginia area? I ask as I lived there for a short stint, in the Arlington/Alexandria area. And yeah, they get a LOT of snow there - so something like that wouldn't even dent the morning rush on 495.

Gunny
01-20-2022, 01:47 PM
When did you live in Virginia? It is what ya mean by "NoVa", no? Norther Virginia area? I ask as I lived there for a short stint, in the Arlington/Alexandria area. And yeah, they get a LOT of snow there - so something like that wouldn't even dent the morning rush on 495.

1st time: Dad is an Arabic and Spanish linguist. He went to school for the former in Crystal City (adjacent to Alexandria. We lived in MD just outside the District.

2nd time: Was at LFTCLant for school in Norfolk 85-87.

3rd: Was stationed at Headquarters, Marine Corps in Arlington. Lived in Alexandria 94-98.

icansayit
01-20-2022, 08:16 PM
NoVa for us in the military used to be NORVA....Norfolk Va. In fact. I remember air travel tickets used to describe the destination as NORVA.

I live less than a mile from the NOR...here at the Beach. Military Highway is the dividing line and we are so close...you can hear motorcycles, and Donut Rollers at night on the vacant streets.

Gunny. I worked in CINCLANTFLT building where TOM CLANCY (the Author) described it in his book RED STORM RISING.
Got to know a few of the GATE MARINES over a 3 year period. Maybe I saw you???

As for the SNOW warnings. As usual....everybody is going Nuts, and the stores are more than bare as they await the DUSTING we get almost every year while ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.:laugh:

Gunny
01-21-2022, 10:20 AM
NoVa for us in the military used to be NORVA....Norfolk Va. In fact. I remember air travel tickets used to describe the destination as NORVA.

I live less than a mile from the NOR...here at the Beach. Military Highway is the dividing line and we are so close...you can hear motorcycles, and Donut Rollers at night on the vacant streets.

Gunny. I worked in CINCLANTFLT building where TOM CLANCY (the Author) described it in his book RED STORM RISING.
Got to know a few of the GATE MARINES over a 3 year period. Maybe I saw you???

As for the SNOW warnings. As usual....everybody is going Nuts, and the stores are more than bare as they await the DUSTING we get almost every year while ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.:laugh:

My daughter's babysitter lived in housing just outside the CINCLANTFLT/Camp Elmore compound. We lived in an apt on the other side of Terminal Blvd (ain't life grand when you're jr enlisted :laugh:). However, I was at school at LFTCLant, and scored too high on the ASVAB to be a gate guard :laugh: The ex was stationed at Hqtrs, FMFLant on Camp Elmore.

It snowed once when I was there, I think. I really only remember how sloppy the streets were (regarding snow). They weren't very well prepared for snow. Too close to the water so it usually turned to rain.