PDA

View Full Version : ‘We Don’t Want Wars’: Russia Softens Tone On Ukraine, Weighs US Answers

Gunny
01-28-2022, 09:22 AM
I suspected this was coming. Russia can't afford a war. It was a test. I don't think Putin got the reaction he expected from NATO.

The problem I see is that Lavrov states in so many words the US proposal is better than NATO's. Scary. Especially with Brandon making the decisions.

Meantime, I can't say I disagree with Russia's stated reasoning. Biden might, but I doubt any other President of the US would let Russia tell us how to deploy troops in our own territory. I'd turn that around on Russia and point out they have no right to make troop deployment demands on Ukraine.

January 28, 2022
By Vladimir Soldatkin and Alexander Marrow
MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russia on Friday sent its strongest signal so far that it is willing to engage with U.S. security proposals and reiterated that it does not want war over Ukraine.
“If it depends on Russia, then there will be no war. We don’t want wars. But we also won’t allow our interests to be rudely trampled, to be ignored,” Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told Russian radio stations in an interview.
Russia has massed tens of thousands of troops near the Ukrainian border as it presses demands https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-sees-some-room-dialogue-after-us-security-response-2022-01-27 for a redrawing of post-Cold War security arrangements in Europe.
The United States and its allies have warned President Vladimir Putin that Russia will face swift and tough economic sanctions if he attacks Ukraine.
Lavrov said the West was ignoring Russia’s interests but there was at least “something” in written responses submitted by the United States and NATO on Wednesday to Russia’s proposals.
Lavrov said he expected to meet U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken again in the next couple of weeks. Their last meeting, in Geneva https://www.reuters.com/world/top-diplomats-us-russia-meet-geneva-soaring-ukraine-tensions-2022-01-21 on Jan.21, produced no breakthrough but both sides agreed to keep talking.
Lavrov said, without giving details, that the U.S. counter-proposals were better than NATO’s. Russia was studying them and Putin would decide how to respond.
The comments were among the most conciliatory that Moscow has made on the Ukraine crisis, which has escalated into one of the tensest East-West standoffs since the Cold War ended three decades ago.
CONFIDENCE MEASURES
While the U.S. and NATO responses have not been made public, both have stated they are willing to engage with Moscow on a series of topics, including arms control.
The U.S. ambassador to Moscow, John Sullivan, told reporters that Washington had raised the possibility of “reciprocal transparency measures… including on offensive weapons systems in Ukraine, as well as measures to increase confidence regarding military exercises and manoeuvers in Europe.”
He said the size of Russia’s build-up near Ukraine would allow an invasion with little warning, and urged it to pull back its forces.
“It’s the equivalent of if you and I were having a discussion or a negotiation. If I put a gun on the table and say that I come in peace, that’s threatening,” Sullivan said.
Russia has dismissed calls to withdraw, saying it can deploy troops as it sees fit on its own territory.
The head of Germany’s BND foreign intelligence agency told Reuters that Russia was prepared to attack Ukraine but added: “I believe that the decision to attack has not yet been made”.
Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko, a close ally of Russia said his country had absolutely no interest in a war and that conflict would break out only if Belarus or Russia were directly attacked.
The Kremlin said Putin would spend a “lot of time” discussing European security issues with Chinese President Xi Jinping when he visits Beijing next week for the opening of the Winter Olympics.
Putin also plans a meeting with German business people, following talks with Italian executives on Wednesday at which he underlined the importance of energy ties between Russia and Italy.
Italy’s government had urged companies not to take part in that call, at a moment when Western governments are trying to build unity over possible sanctions.
No date has been set for the German meeting, which could also be controversial, especially as Ukraine has expressed frustration over Berlin’s refusal to provide it with weapons to defend itself and what some countries sees as its ambivalence over possible sanctions against Russia.
(Additional reporting by Reuters bureaux, Writing by Mark Trevelyan, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
https://www.oann.com/we-dont-want-wars-russia-sends-less-hawkish-message-on-ukraine/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-28-2022, 09:34 AM
I suspected this was coming. Russia can't afford a war. It was a test. I don't think Putin got the reaction he expected from NATO.

The problem I see is that Lavrov states in so many words the US proposal is better than NATO's. Scary. Especially with Brandon making the decisions.

Meantime, I can't say I disagree with Russia's stated reasoning. Biden might, but I doubt any other President of the US would let Russia tell us how to deploy troops in our own territory. I'd turn that around on Russia and point out they have no right to make troop deployment demands on Ukraine.

https://www.oann.com/we-dont-want-wars-russia-sends-less-hawkish-message-on-ukraine/

I have thought all along that it was both a test and a ploy.
Testing the weakness of the idiot the o'biden and a ploy to wrangle certain other concessions from USA.
We have no clue what the o'biden POS, has given away during this little ploy, imho.-- :saluting2:--Tyr

Gunny
01-28-2022, 09:38 AM
I have thought all along that it was both a test and a ploy.
Testing the weakness of the idiot the o'biden and a ploy to wrangle certain other concessions from USA.
We have no clue what the o'biden POS, has given away during this little ploy, imho.-- :saluting2:--TyrI think Putin was prepared to deal with Brandon. I think he miscalculated as strong a response as he got from NATO covering for Brandon's Jell-O spine.

Still, we need to see what the Puppet's puppet is offering to cave on before thinking this is a win; which, the MSM will be quick to declare at anything that looks even close.

Gunny
01-28-2022, 09:43 AM
Unintended consequences for Putin? I think he was trying to rattle Brandon's cage and is getting more response from NATO than he expected.

January 28, 2022
(Reuters) – Lithuania and Germany are in talks on increasing Germany’s military presence in Lithuania “in light of current events”, Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda said on Friday.
Russia has amassed tens of thousands of troops near the Ukrainian border while demanding a redrawing of post-Cold War security arrangements in Europe.
“We are talking about possibilities to expand, increase the German and the Enhanced Forward Presence forces in Lithuania, as we need to strengthen the eastern flank of NATO in light of the current events”, Nauseda said at the Siauliai air base.
Germany is leading an international battlegroup of more than 1,000 soldiers in Lithuania, one of four Enhanced Forward Presence missions sent by NATO to the Baltic states and Poland in 2017 in response to Russia annexing Ukraine’s Crimea peninsula.
A German Defence Ministry spokesperson said on Friday he was not aware of plans to increase German military plans in Lithuania.
“There are definitely contingent rotations coming up, but this would not lead to an increase. Of the reinforcement forces, it is not planned to send any to the battlegroup. I do not know anything to the contrary,” he told reporters in Berlin.
Lithuanian Defence Minister Arvydas Anusauskas said plans were already in place for additional allied troops to come to Lithuania, including where they would be deployed. He did not detail the plans.
“The more aggressive is Russian behaviour, the more allies will be in Lithuania”, said Anusauskas.
(Reporting by Andrius Sytas in Vilnius and Zuzzana Szymanska; Editing by Toby Chopra, Hugh Lawson and Alex Richardson)
https://www.oann.com/lithuania-and-germany-in-talks-on-more-troops-in-lithuania-president-says/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-28-2022, 09:48 AM
I think Putin was prepared to deal with Brandon. I think he miscalculated as strong a response as he got from NATO covering for Brandon's Jell-O spine.

Still, we need to see what the Puppet's puppet is offering to cave on before thinking this is a win; which, the MSM will be quick to declare at anything that looks even close.

Exactly so (!), Putin was sure of the idiot o'biden's feeble and likely well-hidden (secret concessions) response (which Putin planned on getting), it was NATO's that he may have far too greatly have grossly miscalculated. --Tyr

EDIT- "" Brandon's Jell-O spine."" . Dead on accurate...

Kathianne
01-28-2022, 11:49 AM
I think Putin was prepared to deal with Brandon. I think he miscalculated as strong a response as he got from NATO covering for Brandon's Jell-O spine.

Not being any sort of diplomat, if indeed this is beginning of Russia etanding down, they need to pay a price for threatening WWIII. There should be repercussions, not rewards.

Gunny
01-28-2022, 11:56 AM
Not being any sort of diplomat, if indeed this is beginning of Russia etanding down, they need to pay a price for threatening WWIII. There should be repercussions, not rewards.Did Russia almost create WWIII? Or did the media?

Kathianne
01-28-2022, 01:51 PM
Did Russia almost create WWIII? Or did the media?
I'd say sending 125k troops to border of another country, while sending warships to water access on their ports side is a bit of aggression. If anything until the administration belatedly acknowledged the issue, the media didn't really cover.

Mr. P
01-28-2022, 02:12 PM
Did Russia almost create WWIII? Or did the media?

Both. Russia made a mole hill and the media made it a mountain.

But it ain't over yet.

Just my opinion.

Gunny
01-29-2022, 02:52 PM
I'd say sending 125k troops to border of another country, while sending warships to water access on their ports side is a bit of aggression. If anything until the administration belatedly acknowledged the issue, the media didn't really cover.I agree with Russia's statement about deploying troops within its own borders. Aggressive? Yes. At the same time, if we did the same? We wouldn't be calling it aggressive. We'd call it defensive. In fact, I think we should deploy them to our Southern border, but that's another topic.

On the other hand, if we're going to start policing what people think and do inside their own countries, Russia's STILL not tops on my list.