PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Says Islamic State Leader Killed In Syria Raid

Gunny
02-03-2022, 12:10 PM
Despite Joke Biden being involved ....

February 3, 2022
By Suleiman Al-Khalidi and Steve Holland
AMMAN/WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The leader of the jihadist group Islamic State died in a U.S. special forces raid in northern Syria on Thursday when he detonated a bomb that killed him and family members, the U.S. administration said.
Abu Ibrahim al-Hashemi al-Quraishi had led the group since the death of its founder Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was also killed when he detonated explosives during a U.S. raid in 2019.
“Thanks to the skill and bravery of our armed forces, we have taken off the battlefield…the leader of ISIS. All Americans have returned safely from the operation,” U.S. President Joe Biden said in a statement.
Quraishi had remained largely in the shadows since succceeding Baghdadi who led the group at the height of its self-declared caliphate, when it controlled swathes of Syria and Iraq and ruled over millions of people.
Since its defeat on the battlefield nearly three years ago, the group has been waging insurgent attacks in Iraq and Syria.
A senior U.S. administration official told Reuters Quraishi was killed in the raid.
“At the beginning of the operation the terrorist target exploded a bomb that killed him and members of his own family, including women and children,” the official said.
Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby earlier described Thursday’s raid as a successful counter-terrorism mission, saying there were no U.S. casualties.
Syrian rescue workers said at least 13 people including six children and four women were killed by clashes and explosions that erupted after the raid began, targeting a house in the Atmeh area near the Turkish border.
U.S. military procedures to guard against civilian casualties are currently under scrutiny https://www.reuters.com/world/study-faults-us-military-civilian-casualties-pentagon-plans-review-2022-01-27 following a high-profile mistaken drone strike in Afghanistan that the Pentagon initially hailed a success.
A number of jihadist groups with links to al Qaeda operate in northwestern Syria, the last major bastion of rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad in the decade-long Syrian war. Leaders of the Islamic State group have also hidden out in the area.
Residents said helicopters landed and heavy gunfire and explosions were heard during the raid that began around midnight. U.S. forces used loud speakers to warn women and children to leave the area, they said.
(Additional reporting by Susan Heavey, Humeyra Pamuk and Heather Timmons in Washington; Writing by Tom Perry and Dominic Evans; Editing by Angus MacSwan)
https://www.oann.com/u-s-special-forces-launch-counter-terrorism-raid-in-northwest-syria/

icansayit
02-03-2022, 05:00 PM
Looks like somebody didn't listen to the DEAD Instructor again.:laugh::laugh:

BoogyMan
02-03-2022, 09:00 PM
Today’s Washington Compost reported it with a normal tone of something that had happened in world affairs as opposed to when Mr. Trump was president and ISIS leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi was killed and they reported it as the unfortunate death of an “austere religious scholar.”

Have I mentioned how much I absolutely hate our media?

Sorry to derail.

< /rant >

Russ
02-04-2022, 08:12 PM
When I first heard of this, my thinking was that if this really was the leader of ISIS, and things really went the way the Biden Administration says the did, the Sleepy Joe gets some credit for this.

After considering the kind of person that Joe Biden is, though, and the way news gets spun wildly by this administration and gets spun wildly again by much of the news media, I have to take the whole story with a grain of salt.

First, Biden obviously was desperately in search of an episode like this that he could take some credit for. Second, everything in this story is sourced by the Biden Administration; we kind of have to take their word for it. Third, I'd never heard of this guy and even ISIS itself I haven't heard much about for a while.

Would Biden make the whole thing up? I don't think so. But I could see him telling his people "find me a terrorist that I can capture!", and they hear of this guy living in this tower. The story is that the guy blew up his own tower, but who knows? We have to take Biden's word for it, right? :rolleyes:

That's the thing when the government and the media earn reputations for slanting the news before they give it to us. After a while, the public has to learn to compensate for the slanting by looking for all the places where the slants and the lies could be lurking.