PDA

View Full Version : Joining a Political Party

Gunny
02-05-2022, 11:11 AM
I have always been against it. So far, I've been good as an independent. Reasoning (besides living out of home state for 21 years) is I didn't/don't want my vote default counted as Republican. Downside is I don't get to vote in the Republican primary.

I'm considering a change in plan at this point in time. It will depend on who survives character assassination by the MSM/left AND Trump.

Being allowed to vote in the primary will allow me to vote for someone other than Trump without costing the right in the General Presidential election.

Just food for thought. I just can't take this guy anymore. His priorities aren't where they should be.

Kathianne
02-05-2022, 11:25 AM
I have always been against it. So far, I've been good as an independent. Reasoning (besides living out of home state for 21 years) is I didn't/don't want my vote default counted as Republican. Downside is I don't get to vote in the Republican primary.

I'm considering a change in plan at this point in time. It will depend on who survives character assassination by the MSM/left AND Trump.

Being allowed to vote in the primary will allow me to vote for someone other than Trump without costing the right in the General Presidential election.

Just food for thought. I just can't take this guy anymore. His priorities aren't where they should be.

You may be right, I don't know the answer as I've been all over the place for more than 5 years.

Bottom line, even politically aware have become tribal. It's all black and white for short periods of time. I suppose that's normal when principles are abandoned for emotions? If 'we're right,' they have to be wrong. In total.

If 'they' are 'unfair,' we're justified to do wrong to show them the errors of their ways.

Our wrongs are not as bad as theirs.

On and on.

Gunny
02-05-2022, 11:33 AM
You may be right, I don't know the answer as I've been all over the place for more than 5 years.

Bottom line, even politically aware have become tribal. It's all black and white for short periods of time. I suppose that's normal when principles are abandoned for emotions? If 'we're right,' they have to be wrong. In total.

If 'they' are 'unfair,' we're justified to do wrong to show them the errors of their ways.

Our wrongs are not as bad as theirs.

On and on.A conundrum for sure, from which there is no escape and no right answer. Redundant :)

Take the "moral high road" exclusively at the expense of being destroyed by the a/im-moral.

Or

Fight fire with fire.

From experience, I maintain one can accomplish the latter without losing the former so long as one remembers where one came from and why, and returns once the "war" is over. One cannot however allow an enemy to use one's own rules to defeat them (despite its popularity in the US). Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what you have to do to get the job done.

That's not what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing is it's okay to act like them because they're doing it.

Kathianne
02-05-2022, 11:47 AM
A conundrum for sure, from which there is no escape and no right answer. Redundant :)

Take the "moral high road" exclusively at the expense of being destroyed by the a/im-moral.

Or

Fight fire with fire.

From experience, I maintain one can accomplish the latter without losing the former so long as one remembers where one came from and why, and returns once the "war" is over. One cannot however allow an enemy to use one's own rules to defeat them (despite its popularity in the US). Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what you have to do to get the job done.

That's not what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing is it's okay to act like them because they're doing it.
As you've mentioned a few times, 'you think military, not civilian.' Most are not of such disciplined thinking. I've always tended towards principled, I've often supported policies that don't match up with my personal situations. The choices we've had in past nearly 20 years have produced characters that are not principled leaving us where we now find ourselves.

Which brings me back to something I've been discussing elsewhere, but not here. Have you been reading about Pence and Trump? My guess is lots of folks are now regretting they missed the January 6th opportunity. He, just committed to on outright war on himself. His people are talking to committee without sopaenas. I've no idea where this will all lead.

Gunny
02-05-2022, 12:13 PM
As you've mentioned a few times, 'you think military, not civilian.' Most are not of such disciplined thinking. I've always tended towards principled, I've often supported policies that don't match up with my personal situations. The choices we've had in past nearly 20 years have produced characters that are not principled leaving us where we now find ourselves.

Which brings me back to something I've been discussing elsewhere, but not here. Have you been reading about Pence and Trump? My guess is lots of folks are now regretting they missed the January 6th opportunity. He, just committed to on outright war on himself. His people are talking to committee without sopaenas. I've no idea where this will all lead.Last I saw about Pence and Trump is Pence is standing his ground while Trump is trashing him at every turn. IMO, Pence made the right decision. Throwing out the results of the electoral college because you don't like them not only sounds like the democratic party at work, but it is essentially going into business for yourself.

"Military" yes, but principled for sure. While not addressing the topic as such, I have addressed it when questioning: "If not Trump, who?" At tis point, I see a just see interchangeable names/people occupying positions of power used to serve their own, individual desires.

We need John Wayne. I'd settle for a Ronald Reagan or Eisenhower. We need a leader and I'm not seeing one.

Kathianne
02-05-2022, 12:53 PM
Last I saw about Pence and Trump is Pence is standing his ground while Trump is trashing him at every turn. IMO, Pence made the right decision. Throwing out the results of the electoral college because you don't like them not only sounds like the democratic party at work, but it is essentially going into business for yourself.

"Military" yes, but principled for sure. While not addressing the topic as such, I have addressed it when questioning: "If not Trump, who?" At tis point, I see a just see interchangeable names/people occupying positions of power used to serve their own, individual desires.

We need John Wayne. I'd settle for a Ronald Reagan or Eisenhower. We need a leader and I'm not seeing one.
https://www.businessinsider.com/steve-bannon-pence-stone-cold-coward-called-trump-wrong-election-2022-2

Gunny
02-05-2022, 01:38 PM
https://www.businessinsider.com/steve-bannon-pence-stone-cold-coward-called-trump-wrong-election-2022-2Saw a similar article. Was either Business Insider or The Hill.

Bannon's a Trump stooge, and I guess his being one is a no-brainer.

Best I can figure out, and have thought this for quite some time, Trump seems to have a pretty good business sense. It's how he made his money. I agreed with quite a few of his business decisions, as well as some foreign policy decisions. About 50-50 on the latter. I think he made some equally dumb ones as well.

The overall issues I have with him at this point is not only is he stuck on not getting his way after some fanciful interpretations of law, he can't accept the fact he is wrong. NO "leader" can afford that sort of self-indulgence. Custer and Fetterman thought like that.

While the jury was out at first (with me), he HAS turned out to be divisive, just not the way the left sold/sells it. He's dividing the right. I don't care so much when and if he was dividing the left from the right. The former are so out there un-American that divide exists with or without Trump, and it's getting only deeper.

The fact that he is dividing the right at the worst possible time, with this Nation's and possibly the Western World's futures at stake, and the right otherwise has a chance to blow the left back into the basement this year and in 24, is completely unacceptable to me at every level.

I don't care about 2020 anymore. I DO car that a person who wants to lead this nation is fixated on it. Win the Presidency, then propose legislation to prevent voter fraud at the Federal level. Then get on with the rest of the World that is obviously not taking time out for the US's petty, internal soap opera.

I don't care if Trump shoots himself in the ass at every turn. The fact he's taking the party with it pisses me off to no end. Selfishness annoys me.

fj1200
02-06-2022, 12:28 PM
Back to the OP for a minute. In Georgia you can vote in either primary in any election cycle with the caveat that you can't switch if there is a runoff; you can't jump to the other party ballot. The county that I live in it helps to be able to vote in the other party (when for example Cynthia McKinney just needs to be voted against) because once the general election comes around the D party will win every time.

Gunny
02-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Back to the OP for a minute. In Georgia you can vote in either primary in any election cycle with the caveat that you can't switch if there is a runoff; you can't jump to the other party ballot. The county that I live in it helps to be able to vote in the other party (when for example Cynthia McKinney just needs to be voted against) because once the general election comes around the D party will win every time.Exactly what I was looking at (not the rules). Voting against Trump in the primary doesn't hurt the Republican candidate in the General election.

Though some didn't seem to remember it from one post to the next last time, it goes without saying that I will vote against the Dem in the general. Though, Trump is currently reaching McCain/Romney status in the smell I will have to endure to do so if he is the GOP nominee.