PDA

View Full Version : Carter goes batsh*t crazy in Darfur

theHawk
10-03-2007, 08:09 AM
I thought liberals say that its our arrogance and "bullying" that is the reason the rest of the world hates us so much.
Now it seems as though Carter is the pompous ass with a god-complex. Can this old bag please retire before he starts an international incident?

KABKABIYA, Sudan (AP) -- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter got in a shouting match Wednesday with Sudanese security officials who blocked him from a town in Darfur where he was trying to meet representatives of ethnic African refugees from the ongoing conflict.

The governor of North Darfur, Youssouf Kebir greets Jimmy Carter at his residence in El Fasher on Tuesday.

The 83-year-old Carter walked into this highly volatile pro-Sudanese government town to meet refugees too frightened to attend a scheduled meeting at a nearby compound.

Carter was able to make it to a school where he met with one tribal representative and was preparing to go further into the town when Sudanese security services interrupted.

"You can't go. It's not on the program!" the local national security chief, who only gave his first name as Omar, yelled at Carter, who is in Darfur as part of a delegation of respected international figures known as "The Elders."

"We're going to anyway!" an angry Carter retorted, telling security officers they didn't have the authority to stop him.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/10/03/darfur.carter.ap/index.html

Gunny
10-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I thought liberals say that its our arrogance and "bullying" that is the reason the rest of the world hates us so much.
Now it seems as though Carter is the pompous ass with a god-complex. Can this old bag please retire before he starts an international incident?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/10/03/darfur.carter.ap/index.html

Let him start one. At least for once he will have accomplished something good. If we can depose Saddam Hussein giving one of the reasons as his treatement of his own people, we certainly have enough to stop the genocidal, wholesale slaughter in Darfur.

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 08:16 AM
There must be money in it for him.

Gunny
10-03-2007, 08:30 AM

You're kidding, right? If ever there was a delusional lefty out there that mirrored your own idealism, I'd have to bet on Carter being your idol.

Sir Evil
10-03-2007, 10:23 AM

Well he takes it from arabs to further his cause so why not?

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Damn. carter could have got himself killed, which would have made him a dem martyr and we would have had a good excuse to go in and level the place. With the dems backing it all the way.

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Im trying to figure out why this action of his is seen as bad and yes it was a joke.

hjmick
10-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Ah yes, the ugly American. Isn't there an old Presidents home to which he can be confined?

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Who exactly was he being ugly to?

theHawk
10-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Darfur never attacked us. Why do you want war with them?

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Darfur never attacked us. Why do you want war with them?

Where did I say that?

Im sure people on here will be here any minute to back me up on the fact that you are trying to put words in my mouth?

Oh well I guess their is no fairness on this board.

Abbey Marie
10-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, if Jimmuh is taken hostage, we will do the same bang up job getting him released as he did for our guys in Iran. :rolleyes: I think I was right to vote for him as worst Prez ever.

hjmick
10-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Who exactly was he being ugly to?

"Ugly American" is a term used to refer to perceptions of arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless behaviors of Americans abroad. The term originated as the title of a 1958 book. I was merely expressing the opinion that actions such as those exhibited by President Carter, perhaps especially his actions, help to contribute the way Americans in general are percieved in other countires.

And no, nowhere did I see you express a desire to attack Darfur.

10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Who exactly has authorized Jimmy Carter to engage in any diplomacy over there? It sure isnt in the Consistution. The more this man does the less I respect him. Quite frankly, the man deserves everything he gets because he is proud and arrogant.

theHawk
10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Where did I say that?

Im sure people on here will be here any minute to back me up on the fact that you are trying to put words in my mouth?

Oh well I guess their is no fairness on this board.

So if you don't support US military involvment in Darfur why would you condone Carter's actions of stirring up shit?

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 11:28 AM
"Ugly American" is a term used to refer to perceptions of arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless behaviors of Americans abroad. The term originated as the title of a 1958 book. I was merely expressing the opinion that actions such as those exhibited by President Carter, perhaps especially his actions, help to contribute the way Americans in general are percieved in other countires.

And no, nowhere did I see you express a desire to attack Darfur.
:thanks:

I know what the Ugly American phrase is about but I dont think this applies to a guy trying to get the voices of the people out in a situation like this one.

hjmick
10-03-2007, 11:33 AM
:thanks:

I know what the Ugly American phrase is about but I dont think this applies to a guy trying to get the voices of the people out in a situation like this one.

I think it applies only in the sense that he lost his cool and, according to the article, started shouting. It reminds me of the tales you hear about a star athlete, musician, movie/TV star, or politician who gets pulled over by a cop and throws out the old "Do you know who I am?" line.

Abbey Marie
10-03-2007, 11:35 AM
I think it applies only in the sense that he lost his cool and, according to the article, started shouting. It reminds me of the tales you hear about a star athlete, musician, movie/TV star, or politician who gets pulled over by a cop and throws out the old "Do you know who I am?" line.

Not very "Presidential" ey?

hjmick
10-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Not very "Presidential" ey?

Indeed. There was a certain lack of diplomacy.

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Does it matter to you what and why he did this?

Or is it just that he is hated by you so he can do nothing right?

Trigg
10-03-2007, 11:48 AM

Bringing media attention to the conflict is a good thing. Trying to push and yell his way into the camp is a good way to start an international incident.

You think the war in Iraq is a mess??? Darfur would be worse for us to get into.

Gunny
10-03-2007, 11:56 AM

:lol::lmao:

Pot meet kettle .... this post applies to your EVERY post about Bush and/or Cheney and/or the GOP.:poke:

hjmick
10-03-2007, 11:59 AM

That's a very good question.

First, it does not matter to me why he lost his cool. As a former President, I expect more from him. While he is now a private citizen, he does, on some level, represent this country during his efforts around the globe.

Second, I do not hate Jimmy Carter. I do not know the man and besides, the effort required to hate a person is not something I choose to exert for anyone. I do think that his was a failed Presidency, overall it was such a failure that he could be and is frequently found at the top of worst Presidents ever lists almost four decades after he left office. That being said, I have much more respect for the man than I do for Bill Clinton. While Carter's Presidency was, in the opinion of many, a disaster, I believe that Carter had the best of intentions and truly believed in his policies, with his heart and soul. I believe he still does and though I do not agree with him on many things, I respect his convictions.

Bill Clinton, on the other hand, always left me with the impression that he was running the country based on the polls. Despite the successes of his administration, I don't get the feeling that he really cares, he gives the impression that, for him, it's all about image. His convictions were solidified only after consulting the polls. I was always left with the impression that Clinton, like the last kid in the orphanage would do and say whatever he thought would make people love him.

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Bringing media attention to the conflict is a good thing. Trying to push and yell his way into the camp is a good way to start an international incident.

You think the war in Iraq is a mess??? Darfur would be worse for us to get into.

Did you read the story?

Do you know why he insisted on doing this?

The people he was supposed to meet with did not show up , they are the ones beiong persicuted in this area. He was trying to make sure he got to talk to them by insisting that he got to meet with them. He knew full well if they harmed him the whole world would be down their throats. He also knew full well they were trying to keep the people from meeting with him.

He acted bravely because these peopel matter to him.

Many here are insulting him and casting aspersions on his actions for politcal reasons only.

In many of you peoples minds he can do nothing good or valueble no matter how many in the international scene respect him as a diplomant who helps anyone he can.

I am really tired of those who have done so much good being treated like criminals by people who claim to believe in loving their fellow man.

http://www.cartercenter.org/peace/index.html

He has done so much good with these programs and helped so many people.

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Did you read the story?

Do you know why he insisted on doing this?

The people he was supposed to meet with did not show up , they are the ones beiong persicuted in this area. He was trying to make sure he got to talk to them by insisting that he got to meet with them. He knew full well if they harmed him the whole world would be down their throats. He also knew full well they were trying to keep the people from meeting with him.

He acted bravely because these peopel matter to him.

Many here are insulting him and casting aspersions on his actions for politcal reasons only.

In many of you peoples minds he can do nothing good or valueble no matter how many in the international scene respect him as a diplomant who helps anyone he can.

I am really tired of those who have done so much good being treated like criminals by people who claim to believe in loving their fellow man.

http://www.cartercenter.org/peace/index.html

He has done so much good with these programs and helped so many people.

He was making political hay. He knew they would not do anything because of his status. He had every right to go off on them and make demands. And he was reasonably safe in doing so. His secret service protectors and local guards would have protected him. Might have even had some Blackwater guys there as well.

The only good that carter has done is certify elections of dictators. He is one of the biggest appeasers this country has ever produced. He would sell out every person in darfur if he thought it would make him look good.

I have never claimed to believe in loving my fellow man. For many of them I wish only the worst.

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 12:40 PM
On what precident do you claim Carter would sell anyone out for fame?

Is it merely opinion?

manu1959
10-03-2007, 12:53 PM
On what precident do you claim Carter would sell anyone out for fame?

Is it merely opinion?

his entire life has been about fame

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 02:52 PM
I have never seen anyone accuse Carter as being a fame hound?

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Carter is a racist, idiot, anti-american retard... imho :laugh2:

I have never seen anyone accuse Carter as being a fame hound?

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Can you tell me why he deserves those labels?

Monkeybone
10-03-2007, 03:11 PM
he took a poll and those were the thoughts most associated with him

ooooo I went there!

Abbey Marie
10-03-2007, 03:12 PM
he took a poll and those were the thoughts most associated with him

ooooo I went there!

:laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
his blatant support for terrorists, and not recognizing israel needs security, inappropriatly calling israel an appartied when it is not.

He criticizes bush , when no former president has criticized a sitting president ever.

I believe he hates america.

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
many consider his presidency to be a disaster.

I will say, his charity should be applauded, but i dont like him personally... he seems very arrogant to me.

Sorry if you like the guy, i respectfully say that i dont like him

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 04:14 PM
many consider his presidency to be a disaster.

I will say, his charity should be applauded, but i dont like him personally... he seems very arrogant to me.

Sorry if you like the guy, i respectfully say that i dont like him

I just dont see what is arogant about Carter?

Sir Evil
10-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Carter is an idiot, and is currently lining his pockets with arab money to further his own causes. Oh, and certainly sucked as a president, not bad, not good, just plain irrelevant.

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 04:54 PM

He thinks he's important.

manu1959
10-03-2007, 04:54 PM

well the truth is hard for you to see.......

manu1959
10-03-2007, 04:55 PM
He thinks he's important.

just ask him..........

Dilloduck
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM

DOH--he's a wacko Christian. That's usually good enough for you.

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
He has saved many lives and improved even more.

I guess that makes him arrogant.

Monkeybone
10-03-2007, 05:27 PM

not what he does, but i take it as how he acts. he wants ppl to thanh him and recogonize his works instead of just doing them

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 05:32 PM

He validates dictators rights to rule. He has tried to sell Israel down the tubes numerous times. He supports terror groups like hamas and hizbollah. How has he saved and improved lives?

manu1959
10-03-2007, 06:26 PM

you don't know what arrogant means do you....

describes carter to a tee.... from websters dot com "disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance"

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM
http://www.globalhealth.org/reports/report.php3?id=202

His groups has helped save many people.

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 06:37 PM
http://www.globalhealth.org/reports/report.php3?id=202

His groups has helped save many people.

No they have certified the elections of dictators and built houses.