PDA

View Full Version : Russian doping controversy leaves credibility of Olympics 'teetering on the edge'

jimnyc
02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
Russia is finishing up their ban for 3 consecutive Olympics for doping offenses in the past.

People that cheat in such sports always look for new ways to take medications to give them any advantage they can get.

---

Russian doping controversy leaves credibility of Olympics 'teetering on the edge'

Susanne Lyons, chair of the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee, made it clear Thursday in Beijing that the pending “legal matter” surrounding Russian skating sensation Kamila Valieva and a failed drug test is more than just who winds up winning gold in the figure skating team event.

“Really the whole credibility of the Olympic Movement and the Paralympic Movement stands teetering on the edge of us saying that we really believe and live the values that we say we stand for,” Lyons told Around the Rings.

“It is so important to the athletes of the world that the values of this [Olympic] Movement be upheld, and one of the most important values is integrity of sport,” Lyons said. “And it’s just terribly upsetting to the athletes today to have that wound potentially reopened again.”

The 15-year-old Valieva reportedly tested positive for trimetazidine, a banned heart medication, according to the Russian newspaper RBC. The World Anti-Doping Agency prohibits the drug because it can aid in endurance and increase blood flow.

Rest - https://sports.yahoo.com/russian-doping-controversy-leaves-credibility-of-olympics-teetering-on-the-edge-062431232.html

jimnyc
02-11-2022, 02:56 PM
Today the 'offense' was in fact confirmed. She definitely failed the test and now will come the appeal, and an onslaught of all kinds of excuses. They are already the worlds worst cheaters, and now they do it again.

And after this was all exposed and confirmed now, what does Russia have to say?

Russia urges scandal-plagued skater Kamila Valieva to 'go proudly and beat everyone'

Russia claims it's a "misunderstanding". Are they sure they didn't mean "misinformation"? :rolleyes:

---

Latest Olympic doping scandal 'propaganda gold' for Russia

On Dec. 5, 2017, after determining that Russia had been operating a sophisticated doping operation, the International Olympic Committee suspended the country from participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics. (The ban that would later be extended thru 2022, including the current Games in Beijing).

In announcing the sanction, IOC president Thomas Bach declared Russia was guilty of "an unprecedented attack on the integrity of the Olympic Games."

Yet despite the tough talk, there was a catch: Russian athletes who had never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs could still compete under a shadow organization – in this case the "Russian Olympic Committee."

Basically, it was the same people, same coaches, same colors … and the same win-at-any-cost mindset, just with a new name.

Still, the IOC braced for a reaction.

Rest - https://sports.yahoo.com/latest-olympics-doping-scandal-allows-russia-to-play-familiar-victim-role-173223134.html

Russia urges scandal-plagued skater Kamila Valieva to 'go proudly and beat everyone'

Kamila Valieva, the Russian skater who landed a quad jump in Beijing, is at the center of a doping scandal.
The 15-year-old tested positive for a drug banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency as a "hormone and metabolic modulator."
Valieva is still free to skate at the Olympics for now, and the Kremlin has urged her to "beat everyone."

Russia has urged teen figure skater Kamila Valieva — who is at the center of a doping scandal at the Beijing Winter Olympics — to go "beat everyone."

"Hold your head up, you're a Russian," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters in reference to 15-year-old Valieva.

Peskov added, "Go proudly and beat everyone" as the Kremlin described Valieva's case as a "misunderstanding."

Gunny
02-13-2022, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty-much done with the Olympics this time around. The IOC is just another, international, fat, money-grubbing bureaucracy. I've not noticed it being real hard to intimidate the IOC at all.

The calls being made even before this doping charge are ridiculous.

From the start, the IOC should never have allowed the Olympics to be held in a communist Nation that is actively carrying out a policy of genocide.

Kathianne
02-13-2022, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty-much done with the Olympics this time around. The IOC is just another, international, fat, money-grubbing bureaucracy. I've not noticed it being real hard to intimidate the IOC at all.

The calls being made even before this doping charge are ridiculous.

From the start, the IOC should never have allowed the Olympics to be held in a communist Nation that is actively carrying out a policy of genocide.
I've not watched any of it. Not even the reports on standings and such. China sucks.

Gunny
02-13-2022, 11:34 AM
I've not watched any of it. Not even the reports on standings and such. China sucks.I've caught the headlines on my cell. Followed up on a couple of articles to post some stuff in the beginning with focus on China cheating. Been no viewership from my house for any of these people that can't count votes for President but can count sports viewership to report.

I have noticed that even the usual kiss-ass media (minus NBC) has been negative-leaning-toward-critical in its coverage. The negativity has been focused primarily on China. From some of the reports I've read, athletes could get better food and treatment and less isolation at the Bexar County Jail.

Lot of "convenient" (for China) positive covid tests :rolleyes:

Otherwise, I've never been a Winter Games person begin with. Far as I'm concerned the whole World should be boycotting China 100%.

fj1200
02-13-2022, 11:42 AM
Too many professionals and too many made up sports to care any more. Team ice skating? Team skiing? No.

Gunny
02-13-2022, 12:04 PM
Too many professionals and too many made up sports to care any more. Team ice skating? Team skiing? No.

Same problem I have with Crossfit. "Medball one armed handstands"? THERE is some practically-applied, everyday skills :laugh: I can go on and on about Crossfit. Different topic.

I'm not really into any of the winter sports. Definitely agree on the "team", any individual sport.